PDA

View Full Version : Audi Dealer / Sales Associate recommendation and Bmw X3 vs Audi Q5 thoughts

Lee_8
06-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if any one has any recommendations on an Audi sales person to work with. I am in Edmonton and we only have one Audi dealer here therefore making negotiating conceivably more difficult. Therefore I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a sales person to work with in Calgary, or in Edmonton if you had a good experience.

As for the BMW side of things I have been sending correspondence back and forth with Ryan (Redlyne MR2) on here and he has been great also I am working with a couple of people here in Edmonton as well so I believe I am fine on the BMW side of things.

The two models that we are currently looking at are the BMW X3 xdrive35i and Audi Q5 3.0t. I would be leasing the car as I am not to keen on owning a european make after warranty has expired. If anyone has one of these two models and can share their experiences that would be great.

Right now we feel good about both vehicles so a large determining factor would be the deal that we can get on either vehicle.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any input it is much appreciated.

FraserB
06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
PM Sugarphreak.

He just picked up a Q5

Sugarphreak
06-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Redlyne_mr2
06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Justin,
I'll send you a contact over at Audi when I get into the office today at 1.

thanks
Ryan

Strider
06-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I talked to pretty much every BMW dealer in Western Canada when I ordered my 2013 X3 35i in Feb last year. Levi Ozbey (internet/corporate sales / leasing mgr) at Bavaria BMW got me the best deal ($1k+ below other dealers), with zero back and forth haggling and BS.

4-7% off MSRP plus standard 4 years maintenance and free all weather car mats was about the limit back then, just to give you an idea (not sure about leases). I had a few dealers tell me that people coming in every day paying full MSRP, and $500 discount was the best they could do.

That said, the supply of X3s seems to have finally caught up with demand, so I'm sure dealers have a bit more latitude to provide incentives these days.

edit: Audi wasn't giving any discounts or incentives at that time either.

Lee_8
06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Ryan I sent you a reply to your email sorry I couldn't get to your email last night.

Thanks for the info Sugarphreak and Strider. Any particular reasons why you choose the cars that you did? I am assuming you cross shopped the Audi and BMW forgive me if I am wrong.

Xtrema
06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Audi wins on interior quality, hands down.

Exterior look, it's personal. My sister got a Q5 because she finds BMWs ugly, especially the signature twin kidney grill. I on the other hand doesn't really mind either but hey, it's not my car.

http://images.passionperformance.ca/photos/3/8/38930_2013_bmw_X3.jpg

vs

http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/2012/11/2014-Audi-Q5-TDI-front-right-view-1024x640.jpg

Driving wise, X3 is better since no model in Q5 line offers sport diff.

mo_money2supe
06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
My wife and I picked up an X3 from Ryan just a little over a month ago. Although we didn't really consider the Q5, all the stories from beyond about lack of negotiation room and lack of "lower optioned" in-stock supply drew us away from Audi anyway. Besides, not only did Ryan get us a decent amount off MSRP (in-line with typ. CarCost Canada prices), he also threw in a bunch of extras in for free (ie. free maintenance for the duration of our lease, free excess worry-free lease protection, free all-season mats/trunk tray, no mark-ups on 3M/tint, etc.).

Sugarphreak
06-04-2013, 12:46 PM

npham
06-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Ian at Glenmore Audi is awesome. He's the one I'm working with on the RS5 deal. A true car guy.

Sugarphreak
06-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Inzane
06-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
dropped the mud guards and wheel locks for 900$,

What a scam! A set of mud guards shouldn't really be more than ~$100-120, and wheel locks maybe $40-60ish.

Strider
06-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Lee_8
Hi Ryan I sent you a reply to your email sorry I couldn't get to your email last night.

Thanks for the info Sugarphreak and Strider. Any particular reasons why you choose the cars that you did? I am assuming you cross shopped the Audi and BMW forgive me if I am wrong.

Like Sugarphreak, it came down to ride and feel (and power). But for me, we're largely a one car family so I needed something practical but still fun and sporty.

The X3 has a much more engaging drive and the 35i was head and shoulders above the Audi 3.2 V6. Not sure how it compares to the 3.0T.

I would have loved to test drive an S-line Q5, but at the time, people were ordering these cars sight unseen, without test driving... something I could never do.

The auto start-stop bugs the hell out of me too, so I coded mine to stay off - the regenerative braking I don't mind at all, I don't even notice any difference and it enhances fuel economy.

guessboi
06-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
For me it was a lot of small factors that added up. Biggest was that I preferred the ride and feel of the Audi Q5 (2.0L) over the X3 (also 2.0L) and GLK250 (Diesel). The X3 was definitely the sportiest of the bunch, but it just didn’t have the smooth feel I was after, meanwhile the GLK was way too smooth, haha. The start/stop of the X3 and regenerative brakes also were a bit of a turn off for me, Q5 is the simplest in terms of technology between all three of them, which I don’t mind at all.

Pricing was similar between the three at first glance, but with the few features I wanted (memory seats & backup sensors) it pushed up the price of the X3 and GLK well over 50K. At the end of the day I was able to get the premium (now called progresiv) package and keep the price well under 50K. One thing about the GLK250 to consider in the price is that the fuel savings of having a diesel can be pretty substantial, also resale is better. Over maybe 5 to 8 years it would make up the difference in price… but with that said, I just found it didn’t deliver that fun to drive feel I was after.

Really I could have been swayed to any of them, all three vehicles are really quite good and have a lot to offer.

One little guilty pleasure of the Q5 2.0t is you can swing by Concept1 for an ABT tune for around 700$, it is a commonly used engine for their cars so there is a lot of aftermarket support already developed.... bumps the power up considerably and makes it a lot quicker.

The torque for the MB BlueTEC turbo diesel engine is awesome. :drool:

Lee_8
06-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks again everyone

Strider, mo_money2supe would either of you happen to have leatherette in your x3's?

If you do could you provide some info on look and feel, and how the material handles hot and cold weather.

I got some feedback from Ryan as well, but unfortunately the Edmonton dealers here don't seem to stock much with leatherette or most have sold already so I haven't had a chance to view it in person.

Also could you comment on gas mileage as well and if you have 35i or 28i?

Strider
06-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I ordered Nevada leather, so I can't comment on the leatherette.

With my 35i, between weekday commuting at ~15-20L/100km (5km each way in rush hour traffic) and weekends at ~10L/100km (longer distances on more open roads), I almost always average 13.5L/100km on each tank.

npham
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Totally missed that you are from Edmonton. What area? I can get the contact of my sister's salesman from Audi if you still need someone.

mo_money2supe
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Lee, unfortunately we too ordered the Nevada leather. We purposefully sought out the real leather 'cause IMHO, the leatherette has a really poor quality texture and feel to it. It's what most people in the 80s - 90s would've referred the material to as vinyl - it's that cheap feeling to us so I might be biased in my comments. That said, I wouldn't say the Nevada leather is of a real high quality either. From what I recall, Ryan said that it's typical of the BMW SUV/CUVs to have coarser, rougher seat fabrics to withstand the typical wear & tear most SUV/CUVs owner put them through. I took the comment with a grain of salt though since both the MB and Audi equivalent models have much higher quality in their leather and faux-leather options. Funny how you can't seem to find any leatherette optioned X3s in Edmonton...all that were available in Calgary at the time we purchased were ONLY leatherettes. In fact, our car was actually shipped down from Edmonton because we wanted the Nevada leather. Calgarians must just be cheaper on that front. OR there's just more Asians here wanting to buy for the name and will choose the cheapest option there is available. :D

As for fuel mileage, we have the 28i and on the dash, it's currently averaging about 11L/100km. We've mostly been putting it through stop & go traffic into and out of downtown each day with about a half hour commute @ ~15km in each direction. We haven't taken it out on the highway at all since we purchased it so with some highway mileage, I'm sure the mileage numbers will further reduce to the published 9.5L/100km mixed-City driving. I'm also currently looking into the JB tunes right now to up the power so our mileage may never actually improve from where it's at now - that'll be another topic of discussion for another time. :thumbsup:

gulfstorm
06-05-2013, 06:57 PM
+1 for Ian at Glenmore Audi. He is a real enthusiast and there are some deals to be had. Picking up my '13 Allroad tomorrow!

Sorry off topic....Yes get a Q5 but Sline with adjustable shocks (drive select)

Sugarphreak
06-05-2013, 07:26 PM

gulfstorm
06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
As far as deals go....the only way to get a serious discount of 5K + is ask if they have any loaner vehicles that they are selling off. These are typically 6 months old with under 5K on them. Other than that you are looking at 500-1000$ off and get features such as tint/3m at cost or thrown in for free.

mo_money2supe
06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
^^ Oh, trust me, you can get a lot more than $500-$1000 off MSRP on new cars even with things thrown in for free, especially if the OP is looking at a $50-$60k vehicle. You're just not negotiating well enough or using the right resources (*ahem* CarCost Canada for example).

npham
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
^^ Oh, trust me, you can get a lot more than $500-$1000 off MSRP on new cars even with things thrown in for free, especially if the OP is looking at a $50-$60k vehicle. You're just not negotiating well enough or using the right resources (*ahem* CarCost Canada for example).

At a Calgary Audi dealership? Not likely unless it was one of the scenarios that was just talked about.

Supply can't keep up with the demand right now, especially for Q5's, so there's no incentive for the dealer to sell you one at invoice + 3%. I'm sure they get the CCC reports brought in all the time, but they don't do anything. All depends on how the salesperson and manager are feeling that day.

shakalaka
06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
We were having similar issues with price negotiations recently. We ordered a brand new GLK 350 for my mom and the dealers weren't willing to negotiate at all cause apparently the demand is insane right now.

We finally got a decent deal when we spoke to a salesman who was friends with a family friend. In total that guy has now sold 3 Benz's in our family and I am hoping that when I upgrade to the c63, he'd be able to hook me up with a smoking deal.

guessboi
06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I also know a wicked "honest" salesman at MB if any one is interested.

Lee_8
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I contacted the two Calgary dealers for 2013 Q5's and one didn't have any at all, and the other basically said they only have two to sell and they aren't willing to discount.

So basically its down to two BMW dealers now, and I am just waiting to hear back.

But whether I go with Ryan or not I have to stress that he has been really good at answering my millions of questions, and highly recommend him to anyone.

Lee_8
06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Sorry should have mentioned I only inquired about 3.0T Q5's.

shakalaka
06-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Ryan is a great guy to deal with. He's helped me out numerous times even though I haven't made any BMW purchases yet.

Orbie
06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by npham

At a Calgary Audi dealership? Not likely unless it was one of the scenarios that was just talked about.

Supply can't keep up with the demand right now, especially for Q5's, so there's no incentive for the dealer to sell you one at invoice + 3%. I'm sure they get the CCC reports brought in all the time, but they don't do anything. All depends on how the salesperson and manager are feeling that day.

100% agree, supply and demand supersedes what you may find in the CCC report at the Audi dealerships here. What incentive would they have to give you a deal when the next person walking in the door will pay MSRP for the limited amount of units they have. They are getting plenty of business so it's not like this practice is hurting them. I was looking at the Q5 3.0T's and Allroads a couple of months back and there is no productive bargaining. They had some incentives on at the time so you got a couple grand off that way (on lot models only), plus if you worked for a company that had a discount there (this isn't much), that was all I saw they would move. They would throw in a few things like floor mats and some trinkets if you really pushed.

In regards to good Audi Dealerships, I really like Royal Oak, just a no pressure environment. The two guys that helped me out, John and Vince, were awesome. Was looking at the A7 at closing and John threw me the keys to a 2012 A7 they had in the lot and told me to drive it around and bring it home to show my wife as long as it's not back too far after closing. Both the guys are really helpful and knowledgeable with no bullshit. Vince must have been on 5-6 test drives with me on the Q5 and Allroad as we were deciding. Didn't end up buying from them because the product wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but the dealership itself was fantastic. I directed my brother there last month and he bought an A6 from Vince.

I ended up going to BMW instead, just because what they were selling fit what I was looking for better. The dealership experience itself to tell the truth hasn't been anywhere near as good as Audi. They are more willing to negotiate but the service and attention just isn't great after you put your deposit down, excited about the car but not looking forward to my first service visit.

TopGearUK
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

What kind of a "deal" did you get for your X3?

mo_money2supe
06-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by npham

No, that was with Ryan for our X3. But even then, all other cars we were looking at, they were willing to negotiate more than $1000 after I showed the CCC. We looked at Volkswagen, Kia, and even Land Rover to name a few. One of the main reasons we didn't go with Audi was because of what we heard on beyond about Audi not willing to negotiate on their prices. That and we already own one Audi. Wanted to mix things up a bit.

Originally posted by TopGearUK
What kind of a "deal" did you get for your X3?

Excluding all the freebies Ryan gave us, we were roughly 4-5% above Invoice. I won't disclose the actual discount price but if you talk to Ryan directly, depending on the car, he'll for sure be able to get you more than the $1000 off.