PDA

View Full Version : Albert Park Station Condos $140's 2bdrm

chinostyles
06-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to get some opinion on this area and information about the builder.

The project is called Albert Park Station

Advertised starting price at $140k 2bdrm

http://www.calgarycondohub.com/albert-park-station-condos-sales-pricing-7672/

ercchry
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
all that comes to mind...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2008/01/22/laoagan-homicide.html

its nice to see an attempt at rejuvenation in the hood though... it will be a long, long road imo

EDIT: hahahahaha... didnt even look at the developer...

Carlisle Group=pointe of view :barf:

BigMass
06-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

its nice to see an attempt at rejuvenation in the hood though... it will be a long, long road imo

way to nitpick a project where a 2 bedroom starts at $140k. What did you expect, walls lined with granite, downtown location and handcrafted by Mike Holmes?

ExtraSlow
06-05-2013, 07:23 AM
My opinion is that there are no truly "great" deals to be had on new build condos in this city. The low price is probably fair given the developers reputation, and the troubled area.

Bigmass is right, that is one of the cheapest projects in the city, or possibly the cheapest. You should not compare it to the downtown condos at three or four times the price.

Sugarphreak
06-05-2013, 08:34 AM

NoMoreG35
06-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BigMass

way to nitpick a project where a 2 bedroom starts at $140k. What did you expect, walls lined with granite, downtown location and handcrafted by Mike Holmes?

:thumbsup:
Exactly, what would you expect? You get what you pay for. Same as everything else.

heavyfuel
06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't complain, fuck a 2 br for under 200k, can't possibly be worse than here in Bowness. If this God damned phone ever rings steady and I can pay my taxes before I have to file again lol and save up a downpayment, I'd be all over that. Not gonna happen anytime soon at this rate tho. I'd rather live there than Copperfield, for example.

Hallowed_point
06-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Complaining about affordable housing..only in Calgary folks. :rolleyes:
Not everyone is baller$$$$

heavyfuel
06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
^^ Ya no shit, I'd be all over that right f'n now if I had my shit together. I guess for some people the hot tub breaking down on a long weekend or having to wait 3 days for Hummer parts is just a disastrous situation.

FraserB
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM
It's just that Pointe of View is absolute shit.

The one I lived in had water issues, the hallways were always being "repaired", walls were off and the doors were not hung correctly and couldn't be.

Sugarphreak
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM

heavyfuel
06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Isn't that still better than renting? I've heard POV nightmares too but anything short of a greasy rent to own has to be a step up, no? Plus is it possible that they've improved at all?

Sugarphreak
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM

GQBalla
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
damn, and here i was looking for an investment.

BananaFob
06-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Honestly I’d rent before I bought a POV condo… just not worth the risk. I also don’t know a lot of people looking in that price range that can afford a 20K special assessment bill when problems start to surface.

I'm a POV hater as well but that's a gross exaggeration on the special assessment. $20k on a stick frame is probably never going to happen.

ercchry
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

600sqft for $140k in the ghetto is hardly a bargain... and adding PoV as the builder?! fuuuck that. in 2 years i bet condo fees double and everything already starts to fall apart. also a real likely chance of a special assessment... and you think 240 units with people that were scrapping together their $1k deposits are going to have ANY cash on hand for that? lol

there is a good supply of units in older buildings that are 2 bedroom for under $200k in much better neighborhoods, with established management and NOT built by PoV

Rarasaurus
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

I'm a POV hater as well but that's a gross exaggeration on the special assessment. $20k on a stick frame is probably never going to happen.

It happens. POV condo in shawnessy had this about 3 years ago. Well 17k but still.

chinostyles
06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Awesome, how did you manage to find this article all the way back to 2008!

I didn't realize at Carslie Group = POV. Those sneaky guys!

Didn't they do Riverfronte Pointe (http://www.calgarycondohub.com/listing/riverfront-pointe/) also?

Ven
06-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I must be the only person in the city who's had no issues with a POV condo. Bought new 10 years ago, fees have gone up $100 in those 10 years, and one SA for all of $500 that was voted on as a preventative upgrade to our water system.

hurrdurr
06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
POV is bullshit. $8k special assessment, condo fees doubled in 3 years. Poor Quality etc.

140k for a 600sq ft 2 bedroom. Where is the living room? Jesus

FraserB
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
POV is bullshit. $8k special assessment, condo fees doubled in 3 years. Poor Quality etc.

140k for a 600sq ft 2 bedroom. Where is the living room? Jesus

Living room comes with a (shitty) futon.

Boom! Bedroom!

Xtrema
06-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Isn't that still better than renting? I've heard POV nightmares too but anything short of a greasy rent to own has to be a step up, no? Plus is it possible that they've improved at all?

Rent is better when it comes to condo with elevators. While not frequent, if there is any issue that condo board doesn't have enough reserve fund to cover, they will come after the owners.

That place on 5th and Macleod where it was condemned for months since contractor hacked at the wrong pillar cost each unit's owner $10K to $15K on top of a depleted reserve fund.

As Albert Station goes, it is at the edge of the da hood. The land immediate next to Deerfoot are quite expensive and some had been rebuilt.

Still I don't think I would like to walk to that LRT if I ever lived there.

NoMoreG35
06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Ven
I must be the only person in the city who's had no issues with a POV condo. Bought new 10 years ago, fees have gone up $100 in those 10 years, and one SA for all of $500 that was voted on as a preventative upgrade to our water system.

No I'm with u. My POV was built in 1999. Condo fee hike is ~2% annually. No issues at all. My realtor told me to stay away from POV built during/after the boom, and I did.

Weapon_R
06-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I've had no problems either. 8 years ownership and started with condo fees of $151 and now it is $190, no special assessments *knock on wood* and it's been a rental with no issues at all.

ercchry
06-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Living room comes with a (shitty) futon.

Boom! Bedroom!

you laugh... but the Einstein building in bankview/south calgary has a "2 bedroom" floor plan like that :rofl: