PDA

View Full Version : Slow internet on Windows 7 box

speedog
06-05-2013, 12:35 AM
So we gots slow internet on our Windows 7 box - 6-8Mbps to speedtest.net via a hard wired connection through our switch to our TELUS modem. Unplug network cable and plug it into a windows 8 laptop and get 16Mbps. Use same cable to a Windows XP box and get same 16Mbps speed.

This tells me the problem is in the Windows 7 box - just am at a loss as to what is slowing it down - have tried changing all kinds of settings on the adapter to no avail. Windows firewall is fully disabled.

Am looking for suggestions - it's the TELUS 15Meg service.

revelations
06-05-2013, 08:54 AM
download a program called TCPOPTIMIZER ... I've used it with success in cases like this

speedog
07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
So after struggling this for a while and having a couple of TELUS techs out, we may have stumbled upon the problem and it appears it may all have been just settings in the TELUS Actiontec V1000H. TELUS tech who visited tonight to replace the Optik TV box of ours that got fried in the lightning strike we had at our house last Friday night checked a bunch of settings and changed a bunch - basically incorrect settings on the wireless side of this device were the culprit.

I asked him why they would be set that way and how a normal joe blow would ever know to change these settings and he said the TELUS techs have only figured this stuff out through trial and error. So what he changed and it's been rock steady tonight...

under advanced wireless settings...
WMM option - disabled
WMM Power Save option - disabled
Channel - set to a specific channel (11 in our case instead of autodetect)

Now it's been a number of years since I've been in that techie world, but the TELUS tech said not having a set channel was causing things to eventually bog down in the router (Both wired and wireless) - it's been a long time since I've been in this world but using the WiFi Analyzer app on my S3 certainly shows a lot of neighbors wifi all set to either channel 6 (default?) or channel 1 and our HP printer is set to channel 6. Setting us to channel 11 keeps us away from all of the neighbor's devices and out printer - will be interesting to see if that makes the difference.

As for the WMM settings, who knows but the TELUS tech disabled them and said that in their experience that it should help as well.

revelations
07-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Yea I find those Telus devices fail at delivering content for heavy-use clients. Also most people wouldnt be able to tell 7mbs vs 15mbs (or dont care).

There is a hack to the ActionTec to basically set it into BRIDGE mode. You have to log in to the Linux side of the OS and set it as so there.

However, those in the know buy a better router and just use the ActionTec DMZ and disable all other functions of the router and just use it as a modem.

speedog
07-17-2013, 10:53 PM
For the record, on bad nights we were getting 50-75% packet loss and ping times of up to 250ms - ping times tonight are excellent. Currently connected - 6 wired devices and 4 wireless devices.

EK69
07-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Yea I find those Telus devices fail at delivering content for heavy-use clients. Also most people wouldnt be able to tell 7mbs vs 15mbs (or dont care).

There is a hack to the ActionTec to basically set it into BRIDGE mode. You have to log in to the Linux side of the OS and set it as so there.

However, those in the know buy a better router and just use the ActionTec DMZ and disable all other functions of the router and just use it as a modem.
Changing it to bridge mode basically does what you described. It turns off the wifi and router portion of the modem and makes it act strictly as a modem then people put a better router behind it to connect to wired and wirelessly.

That's what people do with the new shaw modems that are the same modem/router crap (cisco and smc)

revelations
07-18-2013, 10:06 AM
The problem with the ActionTec is that Telus upgrades the firmware all the time on the devices which changes the password (to prevent bridge mode?? :dunno: )

It used to be tied to the FW version, the username was always "root" - but I've only been able to log into one device.

EK69
07-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Tried these root logins?
http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.php?t=1290629&mobile_type=touch

Not sure if it still works but worth a read

revelations
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Yea I tried the L55 FW login creds without success .....

EK69
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Try resetting the modem and trying to login before the syncs happen?
But if the dmz way works too then it's all good lol