PDA

View Full Version : Bike U-Lock jammed

Manhattan
06-05-2013, 12:58 AM
I was riding my bike around Eau Claire tonight and locked it to the bike racks there. When I returned to open it the lock was jammed. Key goes in but just wont turn. Wrestled with it til my hands were purple and still couldn't get it open and ended up walking home tonight.

I had just sprayed some garage door lubricant on it a week ago because it was sticking but now it's not opening at all. Lock looks like the one below with a round key. What are my options? WD40, locksmith, bolt cutters?

http://www.bikepartsplace.com/images/med/31196877.jpg

ReflexFX
06-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Use a bic pen.

Moonracer
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
If the key doesn't work then the bic pen lid trick won't lol

I'd try some WD first then some bigass bolt cutters.

CanmoreOrLess
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Hammer (maybe bang the cylinders free), WD40, cut it off. In any case, you are not going to use the lock ever again.

Kloubek
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Lol - you're gonna need some massive bolt cutters to get through that tubing. I don't think that is a viable option. You could try a hacksaw, but I thought I heard that the tubing was hacksaw-resistant to increase security.

The issue is that these were built to secure a bike from theft. Now you're battling the exact reason the product exists in the first place. Crappy.

I don't know anything about fixing an issue like this, but perhaps a cutting torch is your best bet?

bmeier
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Try pb blaster or a real good Penetrating oil. Wd40 is not that great.

Tik-Tok
06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Don't use WD-40, that stuff is terrible for everything. Get a good penetrating oil, and tap it with a hammer. It might free up.

Moonracer
06-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Lol - you're gonna need some massive bolt cutters to get through that tubing. I don't think that is a viable option. You could try a hacksaw, but I thought I heard that the tubing was hacksaw-resistant to increase security.

The issue is that these were built to secure a bike from theft. Now you're battling the exact reason the product exists in the first place. Crappy.

I don't know anything about fixing an issue like this, but perhaps a cutting torch is your best bet?

I've seen videos on youtube of them being cut using a large bolt cutter. The dude had it on the ground and was putting all his weight into it mind you so cutting it off a bike in a more non convenient manner would be quite difficult. Another option is an angle grinder.

bmeier
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
If the pb blaster won't work and there is enough room use a car jack between the top and bottom it will pop open

Kloubek
06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
Another option is an angle grinder.

Actually, scratch my cutting torch idea. An angle grinder is the best tool to use for this, hands down. I have one; I can't believe I didn't think of it.

Manhattan
06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Went back this morning and poured in some bike chain lube thru the keyhole and luckily it nudged open. Glad I didn't have to resort to the angle grinder. Appreciate the tips guys. It must be rusted up inside. Off to get a new lock.

bspot
06-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I've got a lock that was behaving like yours and just cleaned it out with some penetrating oil and then lubed it with some silicone and it is still good as new.

98type_r
06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Went back this morning and poured in some bike chain lube thru the keyhole and luckily it nudged open. Glad I didn't have to resort to the angle grinder. Appreciate the tips guys. It must be rusted up inside. Off to get a new lock.

Should've gotten a new lock a long time ago, IIRC all the bike locks with the circular keys were recalled/pulled from the market after the bic pen incident.

Dave P
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
This thread would be a lot funnier if OP was a soon to be bike theif haha.

swak
06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Use a car jack and expant the "u". Will pop it.

osspasha
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
chainsaw OOOH YEEEAAAH

AndyL
06-05-2013, 07:19 PM
chainsaw?

http://www.machine--tools.com/By-Location-/Nebraska-/New-stihl-TS400-ts-400-14-concrete-cut-off-saw-blade-img-1.jpg

:D

Manhattan
06-05-2013, 10:18 PM
No bike lock is theft proof. It's just about deterring.

http://gizmodo.com/5922074/the-best-bike-lock

bspot
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
There's an awesome youtube video out there of a Dutch ex-bike theif. He could defeat most locks in less than a minute. I think the Kryptonite New Yorker gave him the most trouble and it took a couple minutes of fairly obvious work to defeat it.