PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gas for BBQ?

nzwasp
06-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Am i missing something? how do i connect these three components together?

http://imgur.com/a/piQTl

Do i need a gas fitter to come in and do this?

lilmira
06-05-2013, 09:29 PM
You need to install that quick connect "receiver" onto the end of your gas line. You'll need an adapter if they are not the same size though. Obviously you need to take the cap off your line. Once that's installed properly, the line off your grill should snap on. After that, go get some meat. :drool:

Easy job, you just need the part and a couple wrenches to take the cap off and put the fitting on.

theken
06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/101063457.jpg
you need adapters, go to home depot and ask, and you are "supposed" to get a gas fitter to do this. DO NOT use teflon tape for the threads, use gas fitting tape, I believe it is yellow

nzwasp
06-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I presume by the cap you mean that rusty thing thats on the pipe attached to the house?

ercchry
06-05-2013, 09:33 PM
after the valve... you should be good to go if you are competent... pipe dope, yellow tape... soapy water (to check for leaks)

PaPaTang
06-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Judging from the pictures you have a 1/2" gas line coming out of your house and a 3/8" gas hose for your barbecue.
Assuming you buy black iron fittings you'll need a 1/2" nipple, 1/2" to 3/8" reducer (I suggest an elbow for this, as you really don't want your gas line facing straight up like that), a 3/8" nipple to join with the QD coupler, set of pipe wrenches, pipe dope or yellow teflon tape and soapy water for leak detecting.
If you use brass fittings, you can find a 1/2" to 3/8" nipple that'll skip some steps.

With gas off, pop off the cap, dope up the threads of the 1/2" nipple, attach it to the gas line and the reducer, and screw them in, then do the same thing with the 3/8" nipple with the qd coupler. Check for leaks.. done.

Strider
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
BBQs Galore can set you up with all the fittings that you need, as well as pipe dope.
I'd bring along what you have and the pics.

nzwasp
06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I think I might get a gas fitter - because I also want to use that gap there as a walk way and im sure if I'd do it i wouldnt be able to redirect the gas line out of the way from where im walking.