PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here built a HTPC?

ICEBERG
06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi guy's

Just need some info on building a home theatre pc to stream movies and go on Internet through my TV. I have not done this before, so just want to know what is involved In the process. Is it just like building a PC?

I found a really cool htpc cases at memoryexpress to go on my HT rack, but need info on best reasonable priced components like mother board or chip set and graphics cards that are necessary for this build? I don't think i need all the top end stuff like building a gaming machine, but info on some basic parts for this built to keep me happy.

ExtraSlow
06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
what functionality are you hoping to get out of this machine. There are a lot of ready-made solutions that hande 90% of what people use HTPC for.

ICEBERG
06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
what functionality are you hoping to get out of this machine. There are a lot of ready-made solutions that hande 90% of what people use HTPC for.

Well at the moment I am using my Mac to stream through my PS3. But the problem is I can't play all formats and the streaming programs for Mac really suck.

I need something that holds all my movies and streams at a good speeds. My Mac seems little down on power for this task. Need more of a dedicated system for this.

benyl
06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Where are your movies stored?

I have everything on my home server and use a WDTV. Super easy to use and only $99. Plays all versions under the sun.

ExtraSlow
06-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeah, WDTV was what I was thinking of. I use one, and between streaming from my NAS, and runnign netflix, it pretty much does everything I want. Plus, the newest ones have pretty fast wifi, in case you don't have a wired connection to your network. I can watch HD netflix shows with no lag on my weak wiki network.

ICEBERG
06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Where are your movies stored?

I have everything on my home server and use a WDTV. Super easy to use and only $99. Plays all versions under the sun.

Hi benyl,

All my movies are stored on my NAS that is hooked up to my Mac. From my Mac I use a program called nullriver from medialink to stream on to my PS3.

So does the WDTV support all formats? Can I stream from my Mac or do I need a special program for to do this?

benyl
06-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Is your NAS just a big ass hard drive connected to the USB of your Mac, or a proper NAS that is Network Attached Storage that is connected to your network?

With WDTV, you only need access to the fileshare on your NAS. It reads the file directly. No need for a Mac or anything else to transcode. WDTV takes care of it all.

r3ccOs
06-06-2013, 10:08 AM
I use a good USB 2.0 10/100 dongle to a android box I use xbmc/netflix and use MX play Pro to play everthing through

even works with hockey stream & the nhl app

wtf im nameless
06-06-2013, 10:31 AM
I've used plenty of media players and haven't found one that beats this one. It's what I use myself and recommend to my clients:

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Just spend $100 on a WDTV, IMO. Most people do not need HTPC's.

WDTV supports all formats, including uncompressed audio for music files (FLAC). I have yet to download something it wont play, and it will send the proper Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 soundtrack to your home theater if you have one.

That Dune player looks awesome but it probably does more than the average person needs. Looks like a good solution if you need 3D video or the DTA MA and DD True HD.

wtf im nameless
06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
That Dune player looks awesome but it probably does more than the average person needs. Looks like a good solution if you need 3D video or the DTA MA and DD True HD.

I live in a different world when it comes to A/V, lol.

I just like the Dune player because you can get full two way control via IP, my Dune player is in my rack in my basement. I can just touch a movie cover on my automation touch panels and it turns on the TV, speakers, ETC and goes straight into the movie. It's hooked up via an HDMI matrix so I can play it on any TV in the house, sound comes through the distributed audio system.

gpomp
06-06-2013, 11:41 AM
I have an HTPC running Mediaportal. I have a large library of movies/tv shows and the WDTV wasn't cutting it.

Mibz
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
If I didn't use my HTPC for emulation I'd just pick up a WDTV.

taemo
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

Hi benyl,

All my movies are stored on my NAS that is hooked up to my Mac. From my Mac I use a program called nullriver from medialink to stream on to my PS3.

So does the WDTV support all formats? Can I stream from my Mac or do I need a special program for to do this?

because the PS3 can't play mkv, basically your server will be transcoding the video live to your ps3 which means you need a strong connection between the 2 and that you have a powerful CPU.
I've had issues with my PC(C2D 2.4GHz) not powerful enough so I picked up a WDTV live and this tiny device was able to play 30GB+ mkv and m2ts files no problem. DTS 5.1 sound with no issues.

now my server is sitting alone in the basement

also you can download the WDTV remote app for free on your IOS device so that you can use your iphone and ipad to control it, makes typing so much easier on youtube/netflix

jonsey737
06-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I've got an HTPC that I built that runs XBMC. The hardware on the HTPC is total overkill for what I need but it does the trick well. I have a separate file server running Unraid. I used to use a WD TV Live but really like the XBMC interface and customization.

Now I just want to find a cost effective solution for my bedroom so I can watch shows and movies in there. I've read that you can host the XBMC library data on a server and have clients read from that so that all your watched statues are synced between clients.

I've been looking at some android based options but it looks like XBMC can be a bit flakey on these devices still. Maybe I'll try to pick up a $200-$300 net top that I can mount to the back of my TV.

woodywoodford
06-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey jonesy how smooth is XBMC with hardware overkill? I ran it on an ATV2, and it worked good but after a point it got unbearably laggy (navigation, not playback), so now I just stream through airplay.

ICEBERG
06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by taemo

because the PS3 can't play mkv, basically your server will be transcoding the video live to your ps3 which means you need a strong connection between the 2 and that you have a powerful CPU.

This is my problem. My Mac has to Transcode the files on some movies while it is streaming. Because i have a slow processor(2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor) some movies become very choppy and unwatchable.

I actually like the Dune player nameless posted. Is there a dealer in calgary for these or do you order on-line?

I will also check out the WDTV.

Lot of good info and Help on this thread guy's..

thank you,

Mibz
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Hey jonesy how smooth is XBMC with hardware overkill? I ran it on an ATV2, and it worked good but after a point it got unbearably laggy (navigation, not playback), so now I just stream through airplay. I run XBMC on a P4 with 4GB of DDR2, GT430 and a WD Green HDD. It runs fine. 1080p DTS is perfectly smooth, no errors. Never had a problem with the menus.

I imagine your problem was not with XBMC.

wtf im nameless
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

This is my problem. My Mac has to Transcode the files on some movies while it is streaming. Because i have a slow processor(2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor) some movies become very choppy and unwatchable.

I actually like the Dune player nameless posted. Is there a dealer in calgary for these or do you order on-line?

I will also check out the WDTV.

Lot of good info and Help on this thread guy's..

thank you,

I think I'm the only dealer in Calgary but I'm out of stock at the moment. I'll have more coming soon.

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

I think I'm the only dealer in Calgary but I'm out of stock at the moment. I'll have more coming soon.

What is the approximate price of those, or do they just go for MSRP? In Canada they look to be around $350.

WhippWhapp
06-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I'd take a Boxee running Boxee+ over a WDTV.

ICEBERG
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

What is the approximate price of those, or do they just go for MSRP? In Canada they look to be around $350.

I like to Know this as well. Maybe beyond members can get a good deal?;)

Nameless, It would be great if you can PM me some info on pricing and approx. date you guy's are getting some in.

Cheers,

schocker
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
They also have those new little minature pc's. I think it is intel nuc, gigabyte and asus are coming out with them as well. Very small, it is bare bones so you add a HDD, Ram, Wireless, Power cable etc. Comes with intel laptop processors I believe. They are about $500 once you add everything in though.

r3ccOs
06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by schocker
They also have those new little minature pc's. I think it is intel nuc, gigabyte and asus are coming out with them as well. Very small, it is bare bones so you add a HDD, Ram, Wireless, Power cable etc. Comes with intel laptop processors I believe. They are about $500 once you add everything in though.

if you don't PC game, those android boxes are really getting quite good...

we're talking about 1.6gig dual core CPU with quad core graphics, a play store with alot of good apps, full 1080P support, blue tooth, WIFI etc...

the same reason why tablets are overtaking laptops will likely be the same reason why these "appliances" will take over HTPC's...
apple tv2 I think is also a ARM7 dual core or something like that

wtf im nameless
06-06-2013, 02:58 PM
You guys got PM.

<3 my dune player and they're a great company to deal with.

jonsey737
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Hey jonesy how smooth is XBMC with hardware overkill? I ran it on an ATV2, and it worked good but after a point it got unbearably laggy (navigation, not playback), so now I just stream through airplay.

I'm running an i3-2320 or something with a higher end mATX motherboard (Only one that had front usb3 support at the time, which I don't even use) and 4gb of ram. I run the onboard graphics because I didn't notice a big change with a standalone card. With this hardware XBMC runs pretty much silky smooth except maybe when it's updating the library. I just use my Logic Harmony to control everything and don't even need a mouse and keyboard.

I guess when I type it out it doesn't sound too overkill but I know a 10 year old computer could probably easily have run XBMC. The advantage of using a modern processor is the low power draw though.

CaptainReboot
06-07-2013, 07:56 PM
I bought a barebones PC similar to this:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69459&vpn=ZBOX%2DAD04%2DPLUS%2DU&manufacture=Zotac

Installed Openelec on it and I love it. The best thing about is that it will go out and fetch information including movie poster, info, trailers, etc and put it all together and creates a library.

reno97637
06-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Just adding my two cents.

I use a Mac Mini from mid 2010 running Plex. The Mac Mini runs full time and it's connected to a sound system and to the tv. We use Plex not only to take care of the movies, music, and photos, but it also streams to the devices locally and remotely as long as you have the app on your phone/tablet/computer.

The Mac Mini also acts as a file sharing server, a CRM database for my business, and a back up solution for the other Macs roaming around the house. So it is one little busy computer.

I've helped set up this config with non-technical friends and they seem to really like the Mac Mini/Plex combo.

Need any help, let me know. I can also post up a demo video of everything cool about Plex.

codetrap
06-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Reno, I looked at plex but everything I read on the help boards said it couldn't stream live tv, and that it had real issues streaming HD content to iDevices... (Yes, I use iPad/iPhones, don't shoot me)

I'm still using a boxee box on the main floor, and my htpc is an xbmc win32 install. Works like a charm.

codetrap
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I run XBMC on a P4 with 4GB of DDR2, GT430 and a WD Green HDD. It runs fine. 1080p DTS is perfectly smooth, no errors. Never had a problem with the menus.

I imagine your problem was not with XBMC. XBMC can utilize the video card quite well. I'd recommend an ati card though. The nvidia HDMI audio is still buggy as shit. My proc on a core2duo sits around 18% when decoding 1080p 3D.

reno97637
06-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh sorry, I missed the part about live tv. As far as I know, Plex doesn't do live tv. As for HD content, I do have 1080p movies in the library and we have no issues streaming it to the iPad or iPhone at 20mbps/1080p. We also have a dual band router so that could help.

Originally posted by codetrap
Reno, I looked at plex but everything I read on the help boards said it couldn't stream live tv, and that it had real issues streaming HD content to iDevices... (Yes, I use iPad/iPhones, don't shoot me)

I'm still using a boxee box on the main floor, and my htpc is an xbmc win32 install. Works like a charm.

schocker
06-14-2013, 02:01 PM
The brix are now available at NCIX
http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=brix
Would make for a pretty good htpc in i3 guise, would be about $300 + SSD + RAM + OS, includes wireless adapter. The use laptop processors but the form factor is really small, so easy to conceal.

ryanallan
06-16-2013, 02:06 PM
You could build a mini-ITX system, running windows ($) or Linux (free), and use a HTPC program like XBMC or Plex.

After some frustrations with my boxee's performance,
I built a system last year that runs Windows / XBMC for under $500.
Way overkill for what I use it for, but the cool factor is there :)

Check out my build:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/362895/xbmc-build/