PDA

View Full Version : Doing your own maintenance while under warranty?

spikerS
06-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok, so my truck is due for an oil change, and I want to do it myself. I had planned on doing the last one myself and purchased oil from crappy tire, and a OEM oil filter from Ford. The weather went south, so I just took it in and had it done instead.

FWD to today, and I want to do my oil change. So since using the Ford receipt isn't a good indicator of when I did the service, what should I be doing to prove that I have done it?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Write the date and mileage on all your receipts for oil and filters, and make sure you keep them! Also a time stamped photo of the odometer with your receipts wouldn't be a bad idea.

CanmoreOrLess
06-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Also.... these days receipts tend to fade after as little as a few weeks. I'd also photocopy or take a picture with your cellphone, store it away. I have had receipts where I have the date written and milage only to have it look like a blank piece of paper with my handwritten notes.

My car has a seal/washer that needs replacing every oil change. Maybe Fords do as well?

Cos
06-06-2013, 07:27 PM

heavyD
06-07-2013, 07:29 AM
I've done the first two oil canges of my STI myself. Just kept reciepts of the oil and filter and record the date and mileage in the service record book.

DeeK
06-07-2013, 07:40 AM
Write it in the back of your owners manual in the notes section. When, what, odometer, any parts used, etc.

That was good enough for Toyota when I had my truck.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
As mentioned, as long as you have a good record of date, mileage, and parts/oil used, you CAN do maintenence yourself and stay in the good books for your warranty. Some dealerships claim that's not true, but they are lying.

Last oil change I had dome at the dealer, they left the drain plug loose, and we lost a bunch of oil. Lucky the thing didn't fall right off while we were driving.

Trust no one!

heavyD
06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Last oil change I had dome at the dealer, they left the drain plug loose, and we lost a bunch of oil. Lucky the thing didn't fall right off while we were driving.

Trust no one!

I really don't have a problem paying a dealer to do the work but I got tired years ago getting my clean car back with oil stains on the floor mats from their boots, grease fingerprints all over the inteior, scuffs, scratches, and knicks on the wheels every time they remove them, fasteners loose or not even re-installed, oil poured all over the valve cover, etc. Most of these guys treat your $30 or $40K+ new car the exact same way they would treat a beater if they were a junkyard mechanic and to top it off you end up paying top dollar for their service.:thumbsdow

Hallowed_point
06-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I really don't have a problem paying a dealer to do the work but I got tired years ago getting my clean car back with oil stains on the floor mats from their boots, grease fingerprints all over the inteior, scuffs, scratches, and knicks on the wheels every time they remove them, fasteners loose or not even re-installed, oil poured all over the valve cover, etc. Most of these guys treat your $30 or $40K+ new car the exact same way they would treat a beater if they were a junkyard mechanic and to top it off you end up paying top dollar for their service.:thumbsdow

Exactly...I do everything myself now ..well certain stuff I'll take to Ravi @ Minute Muffler ;) Like brakes, exhaust. Jack Carter gave me my car back last winter with slushy snow all over the place obviously didn't use cardboard mats or seat bags etc. Totally disrespectful and for $100+ /hr service rates I expect better.

topsecret
06-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Your safest bet would be call the service manager of the dealership that you deal with and ask what they require. Most likely just do what has already been stated above, dates of the service aswell as keeping ALL the receipts, documenting the kms etc.

ExtraSlow
06-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Thing is, it's not up to the service manager. Many of them will LIE when you ask them as a way to get more work for their shop. Think about it, they make money on the oil changes, why would they tell you to do them at home?

Plus, simple service like an oil change is a great way to get the larger jobs, and once you are in for the service, you always take a walk through the showroom. This method sells more cars as well.

CelicaST-162
06-09-2013, 10:44 PM
I think it's great to be keen on doing an oil change on your own! My opinion is this, the average oil change is between $30-$50 depending on where you go. The time it takes me to drain the oil, potential for a mess on the garage floor and having to put it in a container and be disposed of safely just isn't worth it for me anymore. I'd rather take it to someone I trust, and be done with it!

flipstah
06-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Spikers,

I'm in the same dilemma as you. I'd take pictures of the items bought, the speedo at that time, and a picture of the receipt.

For me, I feel more comfortable letting a trustworthy dealership do the oil change when the warranty is still there.

If anything goes wrong, it's their ass on the line. I'd rather take a little hit and there during the warranty period, instead of fighting tooth and nail trying to get necessary warranty work done.

After the warranty goes out, I'll save money after and can pick any oil I want!

:love:

Rat Fink
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM