PDA

View Full Version : Stumped! intermittent stall while driving

djfob
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
2000 civic si w/ obd1 d16 swap. Ran fine for years till recently

Once in a while car will just lose power and stall while I'm driving, won't start right away either. Also accompanied by a burning smell. Earlier today it would hesitate going uphill in 2nd gear, switched to 3rd it was fine. All this will happen intermittently, only code I get is for knock sensor which I haven't ran in years.

Replaced..

Ignition switch
Main relay
Plug wires
Both o2 sensors
New cat
Plugs and dizzy couple years old

Edit other parts also replaced

Fuel filter
Clutch and flywheel
Slave cylinder

D. Dub
06-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Throttle position sensor? Burning smell is weird though.

RickDaTuner
06-06-2013, 09:19 PM
If it has a fuel filter, replace it.

sounds like a fuel pump though.

firebane
06-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Ignitor or Coil in the dizzy. Common issue on civics.

RickDaTuner
06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Ignitor or Coil in the dizzy. Common issue on civics.

This is true!:thumbsup:

revelations
06-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Check your plugs.

Also, burning smell while stopped or while its still moving? If stopped, from the engine bay or the exhaust ??

Artega
06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
Throttle position sensor.
Plug it in to an OBD1 computer and adjust it very precisely.
I had the almost the same problem and that did it for me.
My problem was the rev would drop below 200 and stall while the clutch is depressed during gear change.

maybe give that a try.

djfob
06-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Fuel filter has been replaced, fuel pump and dizzy parts have not been replaced yet. Never replaced these parts as my thoughts were if they were failing it would not cause random stalling. I could be totally wrong.

Burning smell totally throws me off, I can smell it while moving as soon as the engine cuts. First time this happen a little smoke spewed out the engine bay. Crazy thing is its intermittant.

djfob
06-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Artega
Throttle position sensor.
Plug it in to an OBD1 computer and adjust it very precisely.
I had the almost the same problem and that did it for me.
My problem was the rev would drop below 200 and stall while the clutch is depressed during gear change.

maybe give that a try.

Hmm maybe my issue is the tps, car sometimes will stall out the exact same way too. This car stalls out intermittently so many different ways.

From what I can see its supposed to be 0.5v closed and 4.5v wot? Loosen screws and move around till I get these readings?

jaylo
06-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Had the same issue just random stall and it turned out to be the coil inside the distributor had the same issue on an OBD0 and OBD1 Integra's.

Burning smell was the coil

djfob
06-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
Had the same issue just random stall and it turned out to be the coil inside the distributor had the same issue on an OBD0 and OBD1 Integra's.

Burning smell was the coil

Looks like my random stall and and low idle stall are two different issues. I'll probably just pick up a new dizzy to cover my bases. The one I got now only has 40k on it but bought off eBay though.

firebane
06-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by djfob

Looks like my random stall and and low idle stall are two different issues. I'll probably just pick up a new dizzy to cover my bases. The one I got now only has 40k on it but bought off eBay though.

Nothing is better than OEM but if you buy new you pay out the ass. Try and find one perhaps from a wrecker or something.

I've have good branded remans bad right out of the box before so its quite easy to have a faulty and we all know in general car parts from ebay is :barf: