PDA

View Full Version : insurance for your RV?

spikerS
06-09-2013, 09:57 PM
OK, so decided I better check with my insurance company about making sure i was covered properly for my trailer.

I informed them that I would be towing my trailer with my truck (full coverage minus windshield), and that I wanted to get a quote for getting something similar for my trailer.

The lady said that I could insure my trailer under my house policy, and yadda yadda yadda. But then she said that she would have to add liability to my truck policy for the trailer.

It worked out to be only $15 a year for the liability for the truck part, but I am trying to figure out WHY.

This is the first trailer I have ever insured that this was ever brought up. Every other time, the truck insurance was automatically extended to the trailer, and I never had to buy any additional insurance for towing or using my trailer, unless I was adding something akin to comprehensive under my house policy or if it was for commercial reasons...

anyone care to shed some light on this?

corsvette
06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
It's confusing. I have a pink card for my trailer for liability while it's in motion, and coverage under the house policy if it's damaged while sitting. Agent said new rules for trailers requires they have their own insurance to be towed, and a separate policy for storm/fire/theft etc....

I insure mine for $112 per year on the road and it added about$80 per year for the full coverage under the house policy.

spikerS
06-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
It's confusing. I have a pink card for my trailer for liability while it's in motion, and coverage under the house policy if it's damaged while sitting. Agent said new rules for trailers requires they have their own insurance to be towed, and a separate policy for storm/fire/theft etc....

I insure mine for $112 per year on the road and it added about$80 per year for the full coverage under the house policy.

yeah, they sent me a pink card too, but only added $15 to my truck policy for it...:dunno: :dunno:

and added about the same to my house policy.

I am just trying to figure out WHY it needs it's own liability now, as every trailer I have has in the past never required it at all...

Masked Bandit
06-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by spikers
OK, so decided I better check with my insurance company about making sure i was covered properly for my trailer.

I informed them that I would be towing my trailer with my truck (full coverage minus windshield), and that I wanted to get a quote for getting something similar for my trailer.

The lady said that I could insure my trailer under my house policy, and yadda yadda yadda. But then she said that she would have to add liability to my truck policy for the trailer.

It worked out to be only $15 a year for the liability for the truck part, but I am trying to figure out WHY.

This is the first trailer I have ever insured that this was ever brought up. Every other time, the truck insurance was automatically extended to the trailer, and I never had to buy any additional insurance for towing or using my trailer, unless I was adding something akin to comprehensive under my house policy or if it was for commercial reasons...

anyone care to shed some light on this?

There should be NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to your auto policy when travel trailers come into play. I couldn't create a charge for that even if I wanted to! The trailer either goes on your home policy or on a stand-alone trailer policy (Elite Insurance being the most common). As her to explain to you, in detail, what she changed on your auto policy to create a $15 charge. There is no change for personal use trailers of ANY KIND on auto policies. Only when you get into commercial situations.

spike98
06-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

There should be NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to your auto policy when travel trailers come into play. I couldn't create a charge for that even if I wanted to! The trailer either goes on your home policy or on a stand-alone trailer policy (Elite Insurance being the most common). As her to explain to you, in detail, what she changed on your auto policy to create a $15 charge. There is no change for personal use trailers of ANY KIND on auto policies. Only when you get into commercial situations.

Go with Elite. Mine was $260 a year for full replacement value for 10 years. You cannot beat that.

Pros:

- Great value and full replacement for 10 years
- Vacation cancellation insurance, food spoilage ect
- If you make a claim, your home policy wont go up

Cons:

- Yearly policy and credits are not given if cancelled for winter months

Masked Bandit
06-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by corsvette

No way Jose! There are NO RULES that state you need any additional coverage on your auto policy for towing a personal use trailer (different story if it's commercial use). Additionally you shouldn't have a pink card for your trailer either becaue there is no liabilty coverage from an auto policy for personal use trailers and a pink card is actually "proof of liability" coverage.

corsvette, you have your trailer double insured. Delete it from your auto policy, no need to pay that $112. There have been no rule changes regarding this matter in any way.

speedog
06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
GOA web site would indicate that no insurance (pink slip) is required to register/get a plate for a trailer - link (http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/577.cfm).

nzwasp
06-10-2013, 11:26 AM
That's right I just registered mine with no insurance in place.

SOAB
06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
i'm fairly sure my trailer insurance is less than $250/year including full replacement value.

spikerS
06-10-2013, 03:27 PM

No way Jose! There are NO RULES that state you need any additional coverage on your auto policy for towing a personal use trailer (different story if it's commercial use). Additionally you shouldn't have a pink card for your trailer either becaue there is no liabilty coverage from an auto policy for personal use trailers and a pink card is actually "proof of liability" coverage.

corsvette, you have your trailer double insured. Delete it from your auto policy, no need to pay that $112. There have been no rule changes regarding this matter in any way.

Well, they asked me if mine was going to be used for commercial, to which I replied no, and I got a pink card emailed to me...

Masked Bandit
06-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Primmum...that figures. Bank Call Centre kids with an insurance script in front of them. It's about as valid as my coffee mug that says "World's #1 Dad".

Oh well, were they able to explain to you why they were charging you extra on your truck insurance?

spikerS
06-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Primmum...that figures. Bank Call Centre kids with an insurance script in front of them. It's about as valid as my coffee mug that says "World's #1 Dad".

Oh well, were they able to explain to you why they were charging you extra on your truck insurance?

tried to call 3 times today, high call volumes. waited about 30 mins each time before giving up. will try again later.

guessboi
06-10-2013, 05:00 PM

tried to call 3 times today, high call volumes. waited about 30 mins each time before giving up. will try again later.

Been there, done it, never again... :nut:

AndyL
06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

you need a better broker ;) *cough* that bill guy always answers *cough*

:D

corsvette
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM

Yep, lol! Thats exactly what my pink card looks like. I'm with TD. Looks like I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks Bandit!

spikerS
06-10-2013, 05:50 PM
alright, so I just got off the phone with them, and I have a manager call back coming because no one could explain it.

at first the guy's reasoning was:
1) if the trailer comes unhitched to extend liability to the trailer
2) required by IBC rules
3) it only costs $15
4) it was an in house charge
5) it was for instances where I damage other people's property when backing up the trailer
6) he just finally gave up and relented to asking for a manager to call me.

so every time he tried to give me a reason, I then showed him why the answer was false. He came at me with so many "mights" and "maybe" and "could" that I finally explained to him that I pay for insurance for a guarantee that I am protected from financial loss from the result of accidents, wheather by nature, man or otherwise, and that "may" "might" or "should" are not acceptable terms in the insurance industry.

At the end, I asked for a manager's call back, and I want the chage detailed for me, and what it is intended to cover, and I wanted it in writing, and that it is going to be peer reviewed by others in the insurance industry.

TL;DR: He had no idea what the charge was for, or what it did.

Depending on the outcome, I may be switching over to Bill, regardless of the cost increase. I know, it sounds like I am being cheap, but if I could afford to give free money to everyone...It just makes me wonder what else I am over paying on.

Masked Bandit
06-10-2013, 07:35 PM
alright, so I just got off the phone with them, and I have a manager call back coming because no one could explain it.

at first the guy's reasoning was:
1) if the trailer comes unhitched to extend liability to the trailer
2) required by IBC rules
3) it only costs $15
4) it was an in house charge
5) it was for instances where I damage other people's property when backing up the trailer
6) he just finally gave up and relented to asking for a manager to call me.

so every time he tried to give me a reason, I then showed him why the answer was false. He came at me with so many "mights" and "maybe" and "could" that I finally explained to him that I pay for insurance for a guarantee that I am protected from financial loss from the result of accidents, wheather by nature, man or otherwise, and that "may" "might" or "should" are not acceptable terms in the insurance industry.

At the end, I asked for a manager's call back, and I want the chage detailed for me, and what it is intended to cover, and I wanted it in writing, and that it is going to be peer reviewed by others in the insurance industry.

TL;DR: He had no idea what the charge was for, or what it did.

Depending on the outcome, I may be switching over to Bill, regardless of the cost increase. I know, it sounds like I am being cheap, but if I could afford to give free money to everyone...It just makes me wonder what else I am over paying on.

Don't worry about switching just yet, we'll take care of that when the time is right. All I want to do right now is help you make these guys squirm. You have my email address, let me know when you've heard from the manager and I'll prepare you a rebuttal that backs them into a corner.

I friggin' hate the banks.

spikerS
06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
ok, well I just got my manager's call back. and here is how it went.

He told me at the start that the conversation was being recorded.

We then discussed everything, and even he was not sure what it was all about, but by the end he described it to me as this:

Because I am changing the normal operation of the truck, the charge is a way to recoup the cost of exposure.

He went on the explain that he was not "holding a gun to my head" or forcing me to take on this charge.

I asked him if this protected me in any way from liability that is not covered in SF-1 of the alberta insurance regs, and to start, he was not sure, and by the end, stated that there was no scenario that he could think of where my truck policy would not cover me.

So next, I re-phrased the question and asked "If I cancel this, what liability am I opening myself up to?" and he again said that he could not think of any scenarios.

He said they introduced the charge back in November of 2011 to charge for the increased risk of pulling a trailer.

In the end, it is a pure cash grab by Primmum / TD Insurance. I would advise all of you that are insured with them to challenge them on this rate charge, and if you have it (trailer added to your tow vehicle policy), and remove it like I did.

Masked Bandit
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM
ok, well I just got my manager's call back. and here is how it went.

He told me at the start that the conversation was being recorded.

We then discussed everything, and even he was not sure what it was all about, but by the end he described it to me as this:

Because I am changing the normal operation of the truck, the charge is a way to recoup the cost of exposure.

He went on the explain that he was not "holding a gun to my head" or forcing me to take on this charge.

I asked him if this protected me in any way from liability that is not covered in SF-1 of the alberta insurance regs, and to start, he was not sure, and by the end, stated that there was no scenario that he could think of where my truck policy would not cover me.

So next, I re-phrased the question and asked "If I cancel this, what liability am I opening myself up to?" and he again said that he could not think of any scenarios.

He said they introduced the charge back in November of 2011 to charge for the increased risk of pulling a trailer.

In the end, it is a pure cash grab by Primmum / TD Insurance. I would advise all of you that are insured with them to challenge them on this rate charge, and if you have it (trailer added to your tow vehicle policy), and remove it like I did.

So it's a TD / Primmum only, internal charge. I didn't think there was anything in the real world of insurance they could be charging you for. I'm glad you were able to have the charge removed. :thumbsup: It's not that $15 makes a difference one way or the other but it's the principle of it.

speedog
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
So talked to my insurance company (AMA) and was told the following...[list=1]
PLPD (third party public liability/public damage) coverage is not required - if your trailer is damaged in an accident that is someone else's fault, then that person's vehicle's PLPD coverage will cover the damages to your trailer
Comprehensive coverage (fire/theft/vandalism/collision with an animal/etc) is optional - your vehicle's comprehensive coverage or your home's policy may or may not be extended to damage caused to your trailer in these instances
Collision coverage is optional - normally if your trailer is damaged in an accident where you are the at fault driver, then your tow vehicle's collision coverage would be extended to the damaged towed trailer. Where problems are encountered is where the tow vehicle doesn't have collision coverage in an at fault accident where the towed trailer is damaged - in this case, you'd be on the hook for all repairs to your own trailer.
[/list=1]So for our enclosed cargo trailer, we have both comprehensive and collision coverage - comprehensive is self explanatory. Collision because sometimes we lend our trailer out and can't 100% be sure of what coverage the borrowers may have and in the end, it's a minor pittance to pay compared to replacing the trailer if there was an accident and the borrower didn't have collision insurance on their tow vehicle. And besides that, the case of beer or so that we normally get for lending our trailer to family/good friends more than off-sets our trailer's collision coverage costs.

HLinda
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
very good info. Thanks:)

speedog
06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
So a Q for Masked Bandit - should people carry collision and/or comprehensive on their personal trailers?

SOAB
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
i'm curious about that answer as well. if i am covered by my truck while i am towing, and i am possibly covered by my house insurance while parked, why should a person get seperate insurance for their travel trailers?

in my circumstance, my trailer is parked at a storage yard. would it still be covered by my home insurance if it was stolen or had hail damage?

Masked Bandit
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by speedog
So talked to my insurance company (AMA) and was told the following...[list=1]
PLPD (third party public liability/public damage) coverage is not required - if your trailer is damaged in an accident that is someone else's fault, then that person's vehicle's PLPD coverage will cover the damages to your trailer
Comprehensive coverage (fire/theft/vandalism/collision with an animal/etc) is optional - your vehicle's comprehensive coverage or your home's policy may or may not be extended to damage caused to your trailer in these instances
Collision coverage is optional - normally if your trailer is damaged in an accident where you are the at fault driver, then your tow vehicle's collision coverage would be extended to the damaged towed trailer. Where problems are encountered is where the tow vehicle doesn't have collision coverage in an at fault accident where the towed trailer is damaged - in this case, you'd be on the hook for all repairs to your own trailer.
[/list=1]So for our enclosed cargo trailer, we have both comprehensive and collision coverage - comprehensive is self explanatory. Collision because sometimes we lend our trailer out and can't 100% be sure of what coverage the borrowers may have and in the end, it's a minor pittance to pay compared to replacing the trailer if there was an accident and the borrower didn't have collision insurance on their tow vehicle. And besides that, the case of beer or so that we normally get for lending our trailer to family/good friends more than off-sets our trailer's collision coverage costs.

Hey speedog, I think you may want to call AMA back and ask to speak to a manager. Section C (collision and or comprehensive) is NEVER extended from the tow vehicle to a personal use trailer (travel trailer or cargo trailer). You CAN add a trailer to either an auto or property policy but the coverage from the tow vehicle never goes to a trailer, it must be insured separately. FWIW you should always double check info like that from AMA. A couple of years ago I hired one of their managers...as my assistant.

Masked Bandit
06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
i'm curious about that answer as well. if i am covered by my truck while i am towing, and i am possibly covered by my house insurance while parked, why should a person get seperate insurance for their travel trailers?

in my circumstance, my trailer is parked at a storage yard. would it still be covered by my home insurance if it was stolen or had hail damage?

For speedog & SOAB,

Please read my post above.

Your home or auto insurance NEVER automatically extend to cover your trailer for physical damage. The tow vehicle will take care of the liabiltiy requirements while the trailer is attached but THAT IS IT.

As for whether you do or do not insure a trailer, that's purely a financial question you have to be comfortable with. If you take an average $10,000 travel trailer it will probably be about $250 a year to add it to your home policy. That seems pretty reasonable to me. If it's a $500 home built utility trailer, I don't know that I would bother.

If you own money on something it just makes good financial sense to keep it insured assuming the premiums are reasonable, and premiums on travel trailers are very reasonable.

speedog
06-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Hey speedog, I think you may want to call AMA back and ask to speak to a manager. Section C (collision and or comprehensive) is NEVER extended from the tow vehicle to a personal use trailer (travel trailer or cargo trailer). You CAN add a trailer to either an auto or property policy but the coverage from the tow vehicle never goes to a trailer, it must be insured separately. FWIW you should always double check info like that from AMA. A couple of years ago I hired one of their managers...as my assistant.

I'll do that but never the less we have collision coverage separately on our trailer so all is good.

BTW, thanks for your update as it should help people decide what kind of insurance coverage they want on their trailer(s).

Masked Bandit
06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by speedog

I'll do that but never the less we have collision coverage separately on our trailer so all is good.

BTW, thanks for your update as it should help people decide what kind of insurance coverage they want on their trailer(s).

Just a bit of general info for the public, the most cost effective way to insure a travel trailer is either on your home policy or on a separate stand-alone RV policy. Don't ever put it on your auto policy as the coverage is weak and the premium is usually higher. Utility trailes unfortunately can't go on a home policy so they have to go on the auto.

16hypen3sp
07-08-2015, 03:48 AM
Bumping...

Hey Masked Bandit... I just bought a holiday trailer last Wednesday. Cost $4k. I had to leave for work directly after I bought it so I have not had time to do anything document wise as of yet. I'm off work today now and I'll be getting it sorted out.

We are leaving Thursday afternoon with this trailer. Here is the situation... I am using my brothers truck to tow this thing out to the mountains.

So if something happens, get pulled over or something, will his truck PLPD cover my trailer?

Truck is in his name, trailer is in my name.

Also, just to be clear, while it is not in use, it may or may not be covered for damage under my home insurance policy correct? If not, I would need to get separate insurance to cover things like hail damage, fire, theft?

nzwasp
07-08-2015, 09:02 AM
I asked a similar question to shelley at touchstone when I got a policy through them and she told me that while towing the vehicle insurance extended to the trailer but when its by itself either at home, in storage or out camping and it gets stolen or burned down then theres no coverage to the trailer and contents

Thaco
07-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I asked a similar question to shelley at touchstone when I got a policy through them and she told me that while towing the vehicle insurance extended to the trailer but when its by itself either at home, in storage or out camping and it gets stolen or burned down then theres no coverage to the trailer and contents so if it burns down, make sure you hitch up before you take pictures... lol, these policies are so convoluted and confusing, it's no wonder why there are so many questions...

suntan
07-08-2015, 09:32 AM
I got trailer insurance through Intact, cost me $12/month. Covers liability, etc.

AMA also offers it.

Thaco
07-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Bumping...

Hey Masked Bandit... I just bought a holiday trailer last Wednesday. Cost $4k. I had to leave for work directly after I bought it so I have not had time to do anything document wise as of yet. I'm off work today now and I'll be getting it sorted out.

We are leaving Thursday afternoon with this trailer. Here is the situation... I am using my brothers truck to tow this thing out to the mountains.

So if something happens, get pulled over or something, will his truck PLPD cover my trailer?

Truck is in his name, trailer is in my name.

Also, just to be clear, while it is not in use, it may or may not be covered for damage under my home insurance policy correct? If not, I would need to get separate insurance to cover things like hail damage, fire, theft?

you dont need to worry about towing PLPD, the tow vehicle will apply to the trailer...

If you want collision (at fault insurance), or comprehensive (fire/theft) you need to get that put on your house or standalone policy for the trailer.

ExtraSlow
07-08-2015, 09:57 AM
This is why you should talk to your trusted insurance advisor to discuss these matters. I have found touchstone very helpful in explaining the different options for my trailer insurance.

C_Dave45
07-08-2015, 12:29 PM
Speaking from very recent personal experience...if you want to have the cost of the trailer covered in case you roll 3 times and it explodes and burns to ashes...you NEED TO BUY A SEPARATE POLICY for it. Your regular house insurance, nor your tow vehicle's insurance will NOT cover it. House insurance will cover CONTENTS, but not the trailer itself. The tow vehicle's PLPD will cover you if the trailer flies off and kills someone. ALSO...if you DON'T have a separate policy, and you wreck your trailer on the road....you WILL get charged any and all costs relating to recovery and removal of the trailer.

Sadly I did know all this...but completely forgot that I had not purchased a separate policy.

Above all else though....GO SEE TOUCHSTONE FOR ALL YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS!!

I can't say enough about the help I've received from Bill over my whole ordeal.

C_Dave45
07-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I got trailer insurance through Intact, cost me $12/month. Covers liability, etc.

AMA also offers it. liability is already covered by whatever tow vehicle you're using. So did you get collision and comprehensive as well for that $12??

C_Dave45
07-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I asked a similar question to shelley at touchstone when I got a policy through them and she told me that while towing the vehicle insurance extended to the trailer but when its by itself either at home, in storage or out camping and it gets stolen or burned down then theres no coverage to the trailer and contents
Only liability extends to the trailer. Not Loss or Collison/comprehensive, etc.

suntan
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
liability is already covered by whatever tow vehicle you're using. So did you get collision and comprehensive as well for that $12?? RV liability is supposed to cover things like my RV starts on fire and burns down the campground. Anyhow at $144 for $10K trailer I'm not complaining. AMA's rate was $10/month.

SOAB
07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Speaking from very recent personal experience...if you want to have the cost of the trailer covered in case you roll 3 times and it explodes and burns to ashes...you NEED TO BUY A SEPARATE POLICY for it. Your regular house insurance, nor your tow vehicle's insurance will NOT cover it. House insurance will cover CONTENTS, but not the trailer itself. The tow vehicle's PLPD will cover you if the trailer flies off and kills someone. ALSO...if you DON'T have a separate policy, and you wreck your trailer on the road....you WILL get charged any and all costs relating to recovery and removal of the trailer.

Sadly I did know all this...but completely forgot that I had not purchased a separate policy.

Above all else though....GO SEE TOUCHSTONE FOR ALL YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS!!

I can't say enough about the help I've received from Bill over my whole ordeal.

Damn, sucks to hear about your situation. so you're being charged for the cleanup of the accident? wouldn't that fall under liability?

makes me glad that I chose to keep the insurance for my trailer though. I was debating whether I needed it or not.

Masked Bandit
07-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Dave's got this right enough that I should offer him a job!

The ONLY coverage that extends from the tow vehicle is liability. So if the trailer comes unhooked while travelling down the road and flies into oncoming traffic, all the damage done to the other vehicle is covered by the liability of the tow vehicle. THERE IS NO COVERAGE FOR THE TRAILER ITSELF. You need to insure the trailer against physical damage (collision, hail, theft, etc.) by way of either adding it to your home policy or starting a separate stand alone policy. Your broker will be able to provide you with the best coverage / pricing options.

C_Dave45
07-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by suntan
RV liability is supposed to cover things like my RV starts on fire and burns down the campground. Anyhow at $144 for $10K trailer I'm not complaining. AMA's rate was $10/month.
Umm...yes, "liability" would cover you if the campground was to sue you for damages and costs to the campground....but the term "liability" doesn't normally cover actual "loss" of the trailer itself...unless you purchased "loss" for the unit as well. I could be wrong...but I would just double check that for sure. I wouldn't wish what happened to me upon anyone.

Originally posted by SOAB

Damn, sucks to hear about your situation. so you're being charged for the cleanup of the accident? wouldn't that fall under liability?

makes me glad that I chose to keep the insurance for my trailer though. I was debating whether I needed it or not.
Yup. Right after the insurance company was so happy to hear we were all alive, the next words out of their mouths were "By the way, you owe us $1500 for recovery costs, and also the salvage yard is charging you storage for the remains of your trailer in their yard".

"Thank You!" :facepalm:

Thaco
07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
yeah i called touchstone, $145/yr for my 8k trailer seems reasonable... hope i never have to use it, but glad it's there if i do.

suntan
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Umm...yes, "liability" would cover you if the campground was to sue you for damages and costs to the campground....but the term "liability" doesn't normally cover actual "loss" of the trailer itself...unless you purchased "loss" for the unit as well. I could be wrong...but I would just double check that for sure. I wouldn't wish what happened to me upon anyone. Yes, I understand what liability means in insurance terminology. Yes, the trailer is also covered for comprehensive and collision.