PDA

View Full Version : In 2012, only 29 of these vehicles were sold. Name the car and maker.

CanmoreOrLess
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
"In 2012, Acura sold only 29 RL sedans in Canada. Acura is predicting 300 sales for the RLX in its first year. A modest goal, and small potatoes when considering its major competitors."

Decent review of the 2014 Acura RL:
http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/first-drive-2014-acura-rlx/?all=1

flipstah
06-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I saw one of these in the wild over the weekend and did a double-take.

Not because it looked good but the fact that someone actually bought one.

It was dark blue and was as big as a boat.

FraserB
06-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Was it in the north end? I think I saw the same one.

CanmoreOrLess
06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I read a comment on the autos.ca website, it states in 2013 Acura only sold 12 RL models. Is there a vehicle sold by a big car maker which produced fewer numbers?

rage2
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
I remember being at the RLX unveil in LA. As soon as the car was shown, we left. Zero excitement. Just another bland looking product that's getting destroyed by its competitors.

Xtrema
06-10-2013, 01:23 PM
They are selling 270 units/month in US. So target of 300 in Canada may be reachable.

The problems is, posers can actually get a base A6 2.0T or 528i for the price of a base RLX. And A6 has AWD and RLX doesn't.

Sure, the Acura's formula of more for less is still there but somehow I think value isn't that important once you crossed the $50K price range. It's gonna be tough sell for Acura.

I think Acura need a frontend makeover like Lexus.

kenny
06-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I remember being at the RLX unveil in LA. As soon as the car was shown, we left. Zero excitement. Just another bland looking product that's getting destroyed by its competitors.

Not entirely true, I was excited about the headlights. :rofl:

Disoblige
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I think Acura need a frontend makeover like Lexus.
Yeah, I want to see Acura try to be even uglier than it already is. :rofl:

cloud7
06-10-2013, 01:59 PM
The current RL was first introduced as a 2005 model year. It had a couple of facelifts along the way but it was way past due on a complete redesign. It's fault is in part due to the current model TL being a much larger vehicle than the previous TL and pretty close to the size of the RL plus it's much cheaper. As a result, it further eroded sales from the RL. If you look at the sales figure of the 2005 model year RL, it actually sold 475 vehicles, so goal of 300 is pretty realistic. It's not a strong figure by any means but I don't think Acura is realistically expecting to sell tons all of a sudden. They probably sell more TL in a year than the RLX in its entire model life cycle.

Xtrema
06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Yeah, I want to see Acura try to be even uglier than it already is. :rofl:

I hated both Audi's grill make over in early 2000s and current Lexus grill. But I got over both and like them now.

K3RMiTdot
06-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Not entirely true, I was excited about the headlights. :rofl:

ditto.. until they used it for the mdx too!

heavyD
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I wonder how long Honda will continue to prop up Acura given the abysmal sales in North America? The luxury market is a lot different now than the late 80's and there just doesn't seem to be that market for the in-between when the German brands are starting to roll out entry level models. Even Toyota and Nissan have realized you need RWD and a V8 to at least get in the door. Seems like Honda is at that place where they don't want to give up the fight but don't want to seriously commit. Hence the no man's land they find themselves in.

lilmira
06-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Hopefully, their involvement in F1 will spice up their products a bit. Other than that, the only cool thing they have come up with recently is a vacuum in a mini van.

Graham_A_M
06-11-2013, 09:00 AM
^ LMAO, my thoughts exactly....
:thumbsup:

4doorj
06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
What's the point of the R&D spent on this car?
They should of least made another sports car (on top of the nsx of course haha) or something different. Made a two door tsx with the old rdx turbo motor or something (wishful thinking).
If it doesn't sell as good all would be fine, probably do better then the RL/RLX.

snowcat
06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Big boats are comfy

r3ccOs
06-15-2013, 09:49 AM
my boss had an RL before, and even though it was an 09 or 10, it felt dated, and felt like a big accord

it is a far cry from a E class or 7 Series, yet is priced not that far off, so IMO they need to step up their game if they want to play in that territory

even today I don't think Acura, or even Infinity really is yet in the same relm of Audi, Volvo, BMW, Merc and even Lexus

BokCh0y
06-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Bwahahaha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So true!!!

sneek
06-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
my boss had an RL before, and even though it was an 09 or 10, it felt dated, and felt like a big accord

it is a far cry from a E class or 7 Series, yet is priced not that far off, so IMO they need to step up their game if they want to play in that territory

even today I don't think Acura, or even Infinity really is yet in the same relm of Audi, Volvo, BMW, Merc and even Lexus

I am a pretty big Honda/Acura fan boy, but I still have to agree with you. I really like the RL, but it really does feel like a well appointed Accord. I'd like to own one, but I could never justify the price of a new one.

cloud7
06-26-2013, 12:11 PM
I actually saw the new RLX driven on the road behind me on the way home two days ago. It took me a while to realize what it was. I certainly wasn't expecting to see one this soon.

jibber
06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Acura is the new Saab?