PDA

View Full Version : Help With Picking The Proper Amp

Mtt40023
06-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Ok, So I'm Quite New To Picking The Right Audio System For My Truck, Just Curious To Your Opinions On What Amp I Should Use With This Setup.

- Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-12 12" Prime R2 Dual 4 Ohm Shallow Subwoofer with 500 Watt Peak / 250 Watt RMS

- Pyle PL573BL 5x7/6x8" 600 Watts 3-Way Car Speakers

150 Watts Rms (300 Watt per 2 Pairs) (Using 2 Pairs, 4 Total)

And I Dont Think The Deck Would Matter But,

Kenwood KDC-MP345U In-Dash CD/MP3/WMA/iPod Receiver with USB/Aux Input

4 x 50 Watts maximum power; dual 2V RCA preamp outputs with low pass filter, rear/sub switch

Any Input Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Graham_A_M
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Id pass entirely on those Pyle speakers first off. It may as well be "Pyle of horseshit". 150 watts RMS per speaker?
:rofl:

Oh okie dokie. If I were to put true 150watts RMS of *ACTUAL* power into one of those, it would last about 10-20 seconds (max) before the voice coil in the speaker starts to smoke from being overloaded, then the speaker would die a miserable death shortly after.
But thats just typical Pyle. Their amps are the same way, they put out shit power, so to use Pyle speakers along with a Pyle amp that would put out next to nowhere near its supposedly rated power, would work out brilliantly. Since (lets say a very well matched amp) would be putting out about 20-50watts RMS of REAL power, (but saying its really putting out 150). That kind of power going into those Pyle speakers would make sense. Problem is, Pyle amps are even worse then their speakers.

I'd avoid anything by that company entirely. :banghead: Its utter garbage.

You may want to take a good look at Lanzar speakers. Back when I used to work in the audio industry, their higher end lines were *quite* decent for the money.
You can get them on ebay for a decent price.

This would be a very good amp. Its a bit more powerful then what you need, but thats okay. What you'd want to do is wire both voicecoils of the sub in parallel then hook it up like that, so the amp is running a 2ohm load.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAPCO-ST1-MONOBLOCK-400W-AMP-STUDIO-X-SERIES-SUBWOOFER-AMPLIFIER-W-BASS-REMOTE-/190787527712?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2c6bd2a420

^ Its *FAR* better to have too much amp powering a sub, then too little. You dont always have to be pushing the amp at all, but when its working within its limits the chances of it blowing the sub are very minor. When you use shit amps or push an amp WAY too hard that put out a badly distorted signal (I wont get into that since it'll be way above your head) but basically the amp can no longer properly control the sub, so it'll perform in ways that can damage it, as it tries to respond to a badly botched signal. This is basically known as "clipping", it gets a lot more technical then that, but thats the jest of it.
Also your deck is only putting out 2volts to the RCA's, which is fairly low. So the amp wont be running at full capacity regardless.

What I'd do if I were you is try running your full range speakers off your deck power for now. See what you think. If you're not happy with the power output your deck has, then we can look further into a 4ch amp to adequately power them.

XXXXXX
06-20-2013, 02:04 AM
I agree with everything he said ^^