PDA

View Full Version : GM Mechanics - Opinion on 2005 Impala v6

artieg30
06-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Hey guys, looking for all GM mechanics, as the thread title suggests I need your opinions on a older 2005 Chev Impala 3.8L v6.

Looking at Edmunds.com there are mixed reviews on the car, some saying it's awesome for reliability whereas some have experienced issues with the electrical systems and more serious issues such as the transmission slipping.

Just wanted to see if you guys have personally come across a lot of impalas that year that had the slipping tranny issue or any other common issues with the 3.8L v6. Thanks guys!

bourge73
06-13-2013, 08:44 PM
3.8 is bullet proof. One of the better engines they ever built. No comment on the Tranny issues.

corsvette
06-13-2013, 09:09 PM
There are hundreds of these cars running Taxi fleets for good reason, they are very dependable and inexpensive to fix. Bourge is correct, these are awesome engines and they get amazing fuel economy.

Electrical seems to focus more on BCM (body control module) Issues. Worst case you need a new BCM which costs ~$250 plus $100 programing at the dealer. Other electrical include ignition cylinder's that pack it in early, again a cheap easy fix. Power window switches are also common weak spots. Keep in mind there is allways a good selection of these at the local Pick n Pull!

Tranny's are tough. Watch for a slip from 2nd to 3rd under heavy throttle. Other than that look for clean fluid and smooth shifts, these units last beyond 300,000kms without issue providing it's not been beat on daily. Remember, many Impalas lived their eary life as rental vehicles that no doubt had some abuse.

Pretty solid used car buy for the money spent overall. There are three Impalas in my family, a 2001,2003, and a 2010. They have all been great cars. The 03 has 340,000 kms and hasd lived through a teenage driver for the last year.

JustinMCS
06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
I had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged version of that 3.8L V6)

Engine did well up to 200 K at which point I sold it. Only minor maintenance and belts etc.

I had issues with the transmission, would not shift out of gear 2 into 3 of 4. Had to have it rebuilt at the cost of 3.5k.

It is the 4T65-E tranny that is found in the Impala as well (m15 version)

Other than that, had to replace the alarm system module because it kept thinking it was being stolen with the original keys and wouldn't start. lol.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
High rate for transaxle failures, I changed a lot and I never really focused on GM's. No different than a Acura TL or a Maxima, its just a week point.

It all depends on the previous owner. Just gotta keep on its maintenance and it will be solid otherwise.

I've only replaced one 3.8 and it was a GTP that was bagged to shit.

strawberrydouch
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Intake Manifold Gasket's on the 3.8's can sometimes be garbage. Only issue I've ever encountered with them. Not sure if that problem is relevant with the 2005's. Otherwise they're bulletproof.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Issues With Evap Canister (Usually triggers Check Engine Light) Most time the Evap systems are just plugged with dust, A quick clean with a air hose should fix it, unless the canister is cracked. all other issues have already been mentioned.