PDA

View Full Version : My car was backed into tonight, questions...

coupesx
06-14-2013, 11:25 PM
This is the first time i've had to deal with a vehicle accident in my lifetime so I am looking for some advice and answers. I would just call my insurance broker but it's Friday night and they won't be open until Monday.

A lady backed into my car because she claims it was too low for her to see out of her mirrors. My car is lowered but as far as I know that's not against the law? Secondly I think she should be aware of her surroundings prior to getting into her car and reversing. It was night time but IMO that's no excuse.

Tomorrow I am filing the police report, as will she. I have her information and everything, and she fully admitted to backing into my car. My side rear panel right above the tire is pushed in and is now touching the tire, making it undriveable. She has some rear bumper damage. If you're wondering why she reversed into my side panel its because my car was parked parallel to a curb, and not in a parking spot. The area I was parked in is normally used by staff.

Do I make the police report before I file a claim with my broker? I assume I'll have to anyways since the broker won't be open until Monday. There were also several witnesses there and I don't think this is the kind of person who is going to screw me over. She was driving her husbands Merc and they were sensible enough to come tell me that this had occured (I was still inside the building).

The real question though....she keeps giving me this line about how my car is so low that she couldn't see it when reversing. Is there any way this can be used against me? Isn't there some rule that you need to make sure you can reverse safely before doing so?

Thanks

vengie
06-14-2013, 11:30 PM
No. Your car could be 3ft high.. She backed into you plain and simple. As you said she should be aware of her surroundings, and if she can't shoulder check she should have her side mirrors adjusted in such a way to allow her to see her surroundings.

hellraiser456
06-14-2013, 11:36 PM
there is a different number you call when you need to make a claim. its usually 24/7 and located on your insurance slip somewhere. i would call them right away.

She should be at fault. im no expert but i don't think there is a law against having your car lowered.

coupesx
06-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by hellraiser456
there is a different number you call when you need to make a claim. its usually 24/7 and located on your insurance slip somewhere. i would call them right away.

She should be at fault. im no expert but i don't think there is a law against having your car lowered.

Do I call the insurance provider or the broker? I can try calling SGI Canada (my insurance provider) right now, I'll see if they pick up.

Zhariak
06-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by coupesx
This is the first time i've had to deal with a vehicle accident in my lifetime so I am looking for some advice and answers. I would just call my insurance broker but it's Friday night and they won't be open until Monday.

A lady backed into my car because she claims it was too low for her to see out of her mirrors. My car is lowered but as far as I know that's not against the law? Secondly I think she should be aware of her surroundings prior to getting into her car and reversing. It was night time but IMO that's no excuse.

Tomorrow I am filing the police report, as will she. I have her information and everything, and she fully admitted to backing into my car. My side rear panel right above the tire is pushed in and is now touching the tire, making it undriveable. She has some rear bumper damage. If you're wondering why she reversed into my side panel its because my car was parked parallel to a curb, and not in a parking spot. The area I was parked in is normally used by staff.

Do I make the police report before I file a claim with my broker? I assume I'll have to anyways since the broker won't be open until Monday. There were also several witnesses there and I don't think this is the kind of person who is going to screw me over. She was driving her husbands Merc and they were sensible enough to come tell me that this had occured (I was still inside the building).

The real question though....she keeps giving me this line about how my car is so low that she couldn't see it when reversing. Is there any way this can be used against me? Isn't there some rule that you need to make sure you can reverse safely before doing so?

Thanks

And so fucked are the young children she has or is going to hit because they too, are too low to the ground and it's not her fault...

Fucking people... ugh

PS. there's always a 24/7 emergency claim number... Call it and file a claim...

I wouldn't worry about the order of whether you file police report or claim first. They should both have the same information anyways and they will both reflect eachother.

Kloubek
06-14-2013, 11:43 PM
I can't believe how people making blatant mistakes insist on trying to pass the buck to someone else.

You're fine. This will all work out in your favour. I wouldn't be concerned about reporting it right now. Have a sleep, and call your insurance tomorrow, along with filing a police report.

tobslau
06-15-2013, 12:23 AM
I would hope this one ends in your favor OP - if the driver backed into you, don't see how she could not see your car - a quick glance at side mirrors would catch it if the car didn't appear in the read mirror, or i could be dead wrong too...

coupesx
06-15-2013, 12:41 AM
I believe she didn't see it in her rear view because the rear window on her car is quite small and is located fairly high up on her vehicle.

However, I don't believe for a second that she couldn't see my car in her side mirrors. Either she is completely oblivious or she didn't check. Besides, how do you not see a car behind your own when your walking to your vehicle. Ughhh

Disoblige
06-15-2013, 12:44 AM
I would not be surprised if she tells the police or her insurance you were the one who backed into her! So many people try to seem nice in person and they royally fuck you behind your back.

Beware.

amear
06-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I would not be surprised if she tells the police or her insurance you were the one who backed into her! So many people try to seem nice in person and they royally fuck you behind your back.

Beware.

+1

OP, would you happen to have pics you could post? just wanna see the damage..

M.alex
06-15-2013, 01:12 AM

Beware.

Big time this.

Lady backed into my dad (who was parked). She admitted fault, said she would take care of it all, etc...

A few days later her story flipped 100% and she claimed my dad hit her from behind and he has 100% at fault. Insurance company ended up saying it was 50/50 even though he was parked and didn't do a damn thing.

AzNxHyDrA
06-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Beware.

I think OP will be fine in this case due to the location of the impact. Even if she were to try and lie about the police report, the fact is that her rear is damaged whereas his side panel is damaged.

Regardless, good luck to OP and hopefully this resolves well.

Rat Fink
06-15-2013, 10:24 AM

revelations
06-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks

DEFINITELY contact those witnesses ASAP as you will likely need them as third party evidence. Damage to the side of your vehicle also works in your favour as your vehicle was likely not in motion.

I had my motorcycle parked on the street one night (under a street llight) and it was covered with a black bike cover for the weekend.
Some chick proceeded to drive STRAIGHT INTO the bike because "she couldnt see it at night" and therefore it was my fault..... LOL (we ended up settling out of insurance).

dirtsniffer
06-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Ya. She was probably saying that just to make herself feel better about being incompetent. And personally I would call the witnesses and try to get a few of them to email you what they saw. It's good to get it written down while its still fresh. Insurance might take a week or two and the stories might change.

Good luck, sounds like everything will be good

spikerS
06-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
First rule when backing up is to have full situational awareness of what is around you. Just because the stupid cunt didn't have your car in her rearview mirror probably means her rearview mirror is adjusted wrong. What's wrong with her side mirrors either? No way your car was completely invisible in all mirrors.

Did she have a car seat in the back? I noticed lots of parents adjust their rearview mirror so they can stare at their snot-nosed shit factories instead of actually using the mirrors to focus on driving.

She is like the majority of the pieces of shit floating around in this world today, always has to come up with some reason as to why its the other persons fault. Enjoy ramming this one up her ass OP

Holy crap Fink!

First rule of Beyond. Don't post before your first coffee.

Second rule of Beyond, if you adhere to rule #1, I will mock you forever more.

coupesx
06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Police report filed and insurance claim made. Now I book my appt for a damage estimate...

Unfortunately do not have pictures as I did not have a camera with me. Regardless, security cameras inside the building will show that I was working at the time the car was hit. She TOLD me what time the car was hit so I can use that against her, though I suppose it is still hearsay.

The main reason I am not too worried is because I work at a community center and the person who hit my car (as well as the witnesses) are all part of a group that regularly books a room there. I am also trying to find out if there are parking lot cameras but I do not think there are.

Zhariak
06-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Police report filed and insurance claim made. Now I book my appt for a damage estimate...

Unfortunately do not have pictures as I did not have a camera with me. Regardless, security cameras inside the building will show that I was working at the time the car was hit. She TOLD me what time the car was hit so I can use that against her, though I suppose it is still hearsay.

The main reason I am not too worried is because I work at a community center and the person who hit my car (as well as the witnesses) are all part of a group that regularly books a room there. I am also trying to find out if there are parking lot cameras but I do not think there are.

Having a witness is king!

Rat Fink
06-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Holy crap Fink!

First rule of Beyond. Don't post before your first coffee.

Second rule of Beyond, if you adhere to rule #1, I will mock you forever more.

LOL, I re-read....you're right! :rofl:

dj_rice
06-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Hopefully your car isn't going to be a write off if its the 240sx.

Kloubek
06-15-2013, 02:05 PM
It's a real shame when we live in a society where we're scared that the guilty party will try to turn it around and make the victim pay for it. Victimized X2.

Personal accountability people....