PDA

View Full Version : Bike needed for Class 6 road test

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

I just moved to Edmonton from Toronto and found out that my motorcycle license is non-transferable. So, I have to do the road test.

My bike is still in Toronto, and I need to give the road test before I ship it. As I understand, Alberta law does not let you ride without a Class a 6 license holder accompanying you.

I'm looking to give the road test asap. I have completed the knowledge test and hold a road test permit.

Is there anyone on the forum here who can lend me a motorcycle for a road test? I'll buy insurance for it, if needed. I know this is a stupid question, but I really have no other option.

I can give the test on weekdays at 5PM or later, and anytime on weekends, whichever suits your schedule. Location is Edmonton.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Conrad

vengie
06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Post on 780tuners, Edmonton based forum,
I'm sure you could find someone on there.

ShermanEF9
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
That's strange. My friend moved from Ontario and his transferred.

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 04:14 PM
@ vengie: Thanks, I'll try 780 tuners.

@ ShermanEF9: I have no idea why they did not transfer mine. I got my car license transferred to the Class 5 (non-GDL), but they would not transfer my motorcycle license. May be a newer rule....

ddduke
06-15-2013, 07:25 PM
I rode for 6 months with no license, then rode to the registry to take my road test. Not a huge deal, just wait till your bike gets here.

zieg
06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Don't the riding schools offer some kind of loaner bike service for tests? I'm looking at riding lessons right now and I see that kind of thing offered by a few places in Calgary.

shakalaka
06-15-2013, 07:32 PM
If you take riding lessons then yes most schools have the provision of lending you a bike for the road test. But the OP isn't taking any lessons and just wants to do the test.

Graham_A_M
06-15-2013, 07:48 PM
^ Why would he need lessons if he already has a bike & bike license? its just not transferable here. Thats all. I'd potentially lend you mine, but Edmonton sucks, and I sure as hell wont be going up there any time soon. :dunno:

shakalaka
06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I know that is the case, I was just telling the guy above me that the OP does not intend to take classes, so he won't be able to get a 'free' bike schools usually provide.

Graham_A_M
06-15-2013, 08:02 PM
^ Oh shit.. whoops. :thumbsdow

zieg
06-15-2013, 08:33 PM
And I didn't realize none of the schools out there would give/rent the loaner for the exam if you take the lessons...

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Well yeah. No school needed for me.

I did find one registry called Callingwoood. They have only two bikes for rent specifically for the road test at $80. One is a 2007 Honda CBR 125R and the other a 2012 Suzuki DR200SE.

I ride a Honda CBR 600 F4. I've on a 250cc before, but not lower.

Originally posted by shakalaka
I know that is the case, I was just telling the guy above me that the OP does not intend to take classes, so he won't be able to get a 'free' bike schools usually provide.

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Well, compared to Toronto, Edmonton is different I'll say. Have not been to Calgary yet, so can't say anything there.

The roads here though are bad. My colleagues at work keep telling me to forget riding a motorcycle in Edmonton.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Why would he need lessons if he already has a bike & bike license? its just not transferable here. Thats all. I'd potentially lend you mine, but Edmonton sucks, and I sure as hell wont be going up there any time soon. :dunno:

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Errr.....Game over if you get pulled over man. Bad idea.....

Originally posted by ddduke
I rode for 6 months with no license, then rode to the registry to take my road test. Not a huge deal, just wait till your bike gets here.

ConradStein
06-15-2013, 11:59 PM
yep. If you take a course, you're most likely getting a bike for the road test. However, only the courses over $400 offer the bike in the package. You may wanna confirm this before paying for the course.

I've been on a bike for over 5 years and don't need to join a school. So, I'm just looking for a bike to get the road test done, and then ship my bike here over the upcoming long weekend.

Originally posted by ZiG-87
And I didn't realize none of the schools out there would give/rent the loaner for the exam if you take the lessons...

Black Gts
06-16-2013, 02:57 AM
You could probably find a refresher course plus a test if you try. Should be half the price.

Team_Mclaren
06-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by ConradStein

I did find one registry called Callingwoood. They have only two bikes for rent specifically for the road test at $80. One is a 2007 Honda CBR 125R and the other a 2012 Suzuki DR200SE.

I ride a Honda CBR 600 F4. I've on a 250cc before, but not lower.

so.... whats wrong with that option?

Mibz
06-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
so.... whats wrong with that option? This. It should be a breeze to do the test on a 125 if you're used to a 600 F4.

shakalaka
06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Just take the 125 or the 200. You're used to a 600, something smaller is only going to be easy.

The other option is this; I am from Calgary, but live in Edmonton now. My R6 is in Calgary and I am planning to have it brought up and another member may be able to do so for me near the end of the month. If that happens, I should be able to lend you it. Although, I would just suggest that you just take the one is that is available at that registry.

ddduke
06-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I really don't get why you're trying to confuse shit? Why can you not ship it until you have your license? Ship it here, pick it up and take a road test with your own bike. It's not that complicated, or just use one of those loaner bikes, if you're not comfortable riding a 125 then you shouldn't be allowed on the roads at all.

If you did ride without your license and get caught it's a $150ish fine, as long as you have registration and insurance you're fine. I got this ticket when I was a kid.

ConradStein
06-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks man. I already booked a test with the CBR 125. I'm sure I'll pass the test. I just did not want to get on a 125 cc; I'm a big guy and the bike is small. Anyway, no point crying about it. I've got no other option.

I did inquire about refreshers courses. None of them provide a bike for free. You have to do a full course for the bike. So....

Originally posted by Black Gts
You could probably find a refresher course plus a test if you try. Should be half the price.

ConradStein
06-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Now, nothing. A forum member suggested callingwood. I'm now booked for a test the coming Saturday on the 125 cc.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

so.... whats wrong with that option?

ConradStein
06-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I went to the registry yesterday evening to check out the bike. They let me sit on it; no test ride. lol.

Anyway I booked it out. I'm sure I'll pass the test.

Originally posted by Mibz
This. It should be a breeze to do the test on a 125 if you're used to a 600 F4.

ConradStein
06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you. That's really nice of you.
I booked the test for next Saturday on the 125 cc. I'll be going to Toronto for the long weekend, and will either ride it (I know bad idea. 3000 KMs) or ship it here.

Originally posted by shakalaka
Just take the 125 or the 200. You're used to a 600, something smaller is only going to be easy.

The other option is this; I am from Calgary, but live in Edmonton now. My R6 is in Calgary and I am planning to have it brought up and another member may be able to do so for me near the end of the month. If that happens, I should be able to lend you it. Although, I would just suggest that you just take the one is that is available at that registry.

ConradStein
06-16-2013, 12:45 PM
I booked myself for the test now.

Anyway, any tips on which shipping company is good?? Cheap too?

Originally posted by ddduke
I really don't get why you're trying to confuse shit? Why can you not ship it until you have your license? Ship it here, pick it up and take a road test with your own bike. It's not that complicated, or just use one of those loaner bikes, if you're not comfortable riding a 125 then you shouldn't be allowed on the roads at all.

If you did ride without your license and get caught it's a $150ish fine, as long as you have registration and insurance you're fine. I got this ticket when I was a kid.

dannie
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Not that it matters now that you are booked, but providing you had a full motorcycle licence, it is required to be transferred to Alberta unless you specifically said you don't want it. If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, different story. But, based on what you're saying at the start of the thread... someone fucked up.