PDA

View Full Version : Scorsese's The Wolf of Wallstreet

UndrgroundRider
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
iszwuX1AK6A

Gonna check this one out for sure.

roopi
06-17-2013, 02:20 PM
The book was pretty good. Hopefully the movie doesn't disappoint.

woodywoodford
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Hm, I for one hated the book. But only because Belfort was clearly in love with himself and using the book to brag about his money and partying. The story is good though, so I'm pretty excited about the movie. Any other director/lead actor and I'd probably just brush it off though.

My_name_is_Rob
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
The local hero is gonna be portrayed in a movie now eh? Should be pretty cool.

Cos
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM

woodywoodford
06-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Looks good. Hopefully the book doesnt suck because of what Woodywoodford is saying. I found 'Confessions of an Economic Hitman' unreadable for the same reason.

Leo and MM should be a good mix.

Having read both I'm afraid to say it is. They write these books to portray their "guilt" over their lavish parties (or dirty economics) and to expose the wrongdoings in these circles, but they shouldn't kid themselves. They're just bragging about how much fun they had. Belfort wouldn't have quit if he didn't get busted.

beecue
12-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Easily one of the best movies of the year. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny. Go check it out!

flipstah
12-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Oh man, I gotta see this. :)

CanmoreOrLess
12-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Looking forward to watching this, really solid cast and director. As it clocks in at 180 minutes, it'll be a DVD watch. Can't take the theatre seats for that long any more. Really Marty it takes three hours to tell this story? Break it in two for FS! "Shoah" was nine and a half hours, broken into two breaks and was a far, far bigger story. Glory days when I could sit for 10 hours in a movie theatre...

BigShow
12-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Great movie!

lasimmon
12-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Awesome movie.

Just don't go with your mom and sister... :rofl:

beecue
12-27-2013, 09:12 AM
^ haha yeah, everyone should keep a tally of how many people walk out. There were 4 in my screening.

Manhattan
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Awesome fuckin movie. Some cocksucking idiots behind us took their kid outta the theatre two scenes into the fuckin movie. Whatta buncha fugazis.

Thomas Gabriel
12-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Does this movie have a really obvious anti-onepercenter theme?

beyond_ban
12-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Great movie... It has it all. Substance, humor, beautiful females and some hilariously ridiculous party scenes. Upon leaving the theater you may be tempting to order up some hookers and blow, that is probably the biggest negative.

It might even be a bit awkward to bring a new girl friend too haha, i sat near the front and saw at least 3 people leave. There was a 70ish y/o grandma in front of me that stayed the course though.

bubbley
12-27-2013, 02:27 PM
This movie was the TITS!

;)

Manhattan
12-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
There was a 70ish y/o grandma in front of me that stayed the course though.

Scorsese is 71. Old folks can appreciate a good party.

D. Dub
12-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Hm, I for one hated the book. But only because Belfort was clearly in love with himself and using the book to brag about his money and partying. The story is good though, so I'm pretty excited about the movie. Any other director/lead actor and I'd probably just brush it off though.

Belfort is a sociopath/narcissist writing as a sociopath/narcissist Which is exactly why it was a good book IMO.

natty54
12-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Great movie

Cos
12-28-2013, 12:14 AM

Sugarphreak
12-28-2013, 01:25 AM

beyond_ban
12-28-2013, 03:00 AM
He goes to jail, but trust me, its still a solid ending. Google Jordan Belfort and read his wiki

got_mike33
12-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Awesome movie.

Just don't go with your mom and sister... :rofl:

+1, made that mistake last night.

you&me
12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I've read both Wolf books, so I'm familiar with the story.

Why are people walking out? Too much partying / drug use?

sabad66
12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
not at all. It doesn't really focus on the people they screwed over or anything like that.

sabad66
12-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by you&me
I've read both Wolf books, so I'm familiar with the story.

Why are people walking out? Too much partying / drug use?
yep, I'd say that's why. Its a little excessive but pretty funny at the same time. Don't bring any kids lol

beecue
12-29-2013, 02:53 PM
and full frontal

JAYMEZ
12-29-2013, 04:23 PM
I enjoyed it. Just make sure you take a piss before you go in.. Hella long and lots of drinking and water scenes to remind you that you need to pee hah.

shakalaka
12-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Had a great time in this movie. Some people walked out pretty much right after the first scene. But I was sort of expecting it since I had looked at this thread before going. The gf was kinda surprised cause she didn't see it coming, but Leo did awesome.

TomcoPDR
12-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Un-

Fuck-

ing-

Believable

Justing
12-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Freaking awesome movie, one of my favorites of the year for sure.
Fun coupons :rofl:

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

Not at all. In fact it's pretty much the opposite.

Moral of the story: Make a fortune, live like a rock star. Go to white collar jail for 3 years, play some tennis. Life is good. lol

max_boost
12-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Did not feel like 3 hours at all. Enjoyed the entire.

Margot Robbie OMG lol :love: :love: :drool:

max_boost
12-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Aahh!

Jaime Pressly! That's who she looks like! :D

Albertosaurus
12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
This movie is what dreams are made of

Cos
12-30-2013, 05:35 PM

XylathaneGTR
12-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Man, I really loved this movie.

Great scenes (e.g. the Popeye scene) and a great story. I was completely enthralled almost the entire film.

Justing
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
^ Yes!
The whole 'Lemmon' ludes scene was hilarious. :rofl:

XylathaneGTR
12-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Justing
^ Yes!
The whole 'Lemmon' ludes scene was hilarious. :rofl:
There was a lot of good stuff in that movie, but I really hope that if either of them or the film are nominated for an award, that's the scene they choose to show. It was just so ridiculous and so perfect. and the entire theatre was in a continuous state of laughter.

shakalaka
12-31-2013, 12:55 AM
The whole cerebral palsy part was awesome.

OCDP
12-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Such a good movie, I was entertained the entire time which is impressive for three hours.

This murdered Anchorman 2 and American Hustle.

jornoz
01-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Would've been a better movie if it weren't so long, they could've cut out a few of the 50 freaking sex scenes :banghead:

turbotrip
01-01-2014, 05:43 PM
definitely better than american hustle. one of the best movies ive seen

Mixalot27
01-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by jornoz
Would've been a better movie if it weren't so long, they could've cut out a few of the 50 freaking sex scenes :banghead:

:werd: I thought I was the only one but I found it way too long, could have used an edit. Also I would have liked it if they had concentrated more on the business aspects and less partying scenes. I actually preferred the old school movie Wall Street with Charlie Sheen. Don't get me wrong, it was still a decent movie, just could have been better.

Supa Dexta
01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Yeah long as hell and the theatre was freeeeezing, which took away from it.

brucebanner
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I enjoyed it, had me laughing lots(along with the rest of the theater).

Myrrinda
01-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

:werd: I thought I was the only one but I found it way too long, could have used an edit. Also I would have liked it if they had concentrated more on the business aspects and less partying scenes.

I found it too long as well, but I was actually wishing they would have cut down the parts with him on the mic.
I'm loving Jonah Hill in these types of roles (like Moneyball). Leo was awesome. The comedy was great.
I don't recall seeing anyone walk out, but I made the mistake of going with my parents, so there were a few scenes where I was a little uncomfortable.

Supa Dexta
01-02-2014, 01:57 PM
There were only 2 other people in the theatre when I went yesterday, plus the 2 with me.

XylathaneGTR
01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Myrrinda

I found it too long as well, but I was actually wishing they would have cut down the parts with him on the mic.
I recall reading on the internets that the first cut was 4 hours long.
I really think that everything shown in this movie had a purpose for the character development, including the microphone scenes. The IPO speech was intense, and I don't think the character would have been portrayed correctly if it was trimmed down further, same deal with the SCC speech.

StreetRacerX
01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
The gf and I are going to go see this Saturday night, probably wouldn't have considered it if I didn't see this thread.:thumbsup:

BrknFngrs
01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

I really think that everything shown in this movie had a purpose for the character development, including the microphone scenes. The IPO speech was intense, and I don't think the character would have been portrayed correctly if it was trimmed down further, same deal with the SCC speech.

I saw it for a second time last night and was actively looking for scenes I think that they could have cut out without messing with the flow and character development.

The only significant ones I could think of was the vegas weekend and the flight there and possibly the flight to switzerland. Otherwise I tend to agree that most of scenes seemed important enough to keep.

88CRX
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
I didn't find it too long and one of the best movies in a while.

And lol at you guys seeing the movie with your moms and sisters haha

msommers
01-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Saw this one today and I came back feeling so inadequate :banghead: :rofl: Great movie though, definitely recommend.

And his wife...God. Damn.

HiTempguy1
01-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Character development? lulz.

At the end of the day, it was a story about a guy gloating and being an arrogant prick. Entertaining? Sure. But awesome? Hell no. American Hustle was a story, this was a auto-masturbation-biography.

icky2unk
01-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

At the end of the day, it was a story about a guy gloating and being an arrogant prick. Entertaining? Sure. But awesome? Hell no. American Hustle was a story, this was a auto-masturbation-biography.

American Hustle was terrible.

XylathaneGTR
01-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Look deeper. I remember my english teacher in grade 10 told us "If you take me to the gutter, take me there for a reason."
I feel like the majority of what was shown built up DiCaprio's character; would you really have known how much of an asshole he was, right to the core and from the very beginning, without his first "Stratton-Oakmont" phonecall on the speakerphone in that Garage?
When he's sitting with the Aunt and you can hear his internal dialogue, they're further painting the picture that he's a narcissistic prick. When he calls the pilot "the n-word" and dry-humps that stewardess, it's to show that's he's just fucking lost control of his life, which is openly stated when even the fat guy from Superbad says he thinks that DiCaprios' character has "a problem." It's all for a reason, brah.

TomcoPDR
01-03-2014, 12:54 PM

he's just fucking lost control of his life, which is openly stated when even the fat guy from Superbad says he thinks that DiCaprios' character has "a problem." It's all for a reason, brah.

That was kinda established at the start when he snored coke from that hookers bum hole. (Ie. not sure about anyone else, IMO, I'd say that's over the top as I've never done something like that myself so far)

Supa Dexta
01-03-2014, 01:01 PM
It gets wet in the other holes.. So where else would you do it... :rolleyes:

Myrrinda
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
I should say that I didn't mean they should have cut out entire scenes, just reduced the dialogue a bit. There were times when I felt like there was some rambling and repetition of what he was saying. Overall I loved the movie though, and I agree that nearly every scene in that movie was required.

Feruk
01-04-2014, 04:08 PM
I thought it was about 30 min too long, but overall it was spectacular! Leo was fantastic in it, and his wife... :drool: If you're going to see a movie anytime soon, you'd be a fool to see anything over this one.

msommers
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
^^It's definitely a gooder.

The Mandela movie was very good also. I quite enjoyed it.

nykz
01-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Saw this today, it was definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a while. The 3 hours went by quite fast and I didn't find it too long. When I went, there were six older women, probably 60-70's who got up and left after almost an hour into the movie.

StreetRacerX
01-06-2014, 09:46 AM
I thought it was pretty good, it seemed fluid for the most part, the gf thought it was pretty boring lol.

95EG6P
01-06-2014, 10:27 AM
the movie was really good best one i seen for a long time and the second wife was super hot :clap:

austic
01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
pretty great movie, 3 hours went by and I didnt really notice.

Canucks3322
01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
the movie was really good best one i seen for a long time and the second wife was super hot :clap:

Um the first wife was Alyssa Milano right? Sorry but she's way hotter, not into blondes:D ...overall pretty good, classic Scorces, love the scene with the Countach leaving the country club and definitely stellar acting...

Manhattan
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Surprised they used a real lambo...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114010368262/lamborghini-countach-25th-anniversary-edition-damaged-during

INITIALD
01-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Um the first wife was Alyssa Milano right? Sorry but she's way hotter, not into blondes:D

No, Cristin Milioti

TomcoPDR
01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Surprised they used a real lambo...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114010368262/lamborghini-countach-25th-anniversary-edition-damaged-during

Better than that gold golf cart lambo Jackie Chan used in rumble in the bronx

pf0sh0
01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Awesome movie. 3 hours went by quick

jornoz
01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
From what I've heard it's a good film but over the top and gratuitous for no real reason.

I have a friend that reviews movies and he gave it a 3 (out of a possible 4) and said that it was a good film, moderately funny, good plot, but it was incredibly vulgar for no reason. He's not a prude by any stretch (one of his top 10 films of the year was Spring Breakers) but watching people have sex all the time and dropping F bombs every sentence just takes up space.

Basically he said that we didn't need to actually watch the sex scenes. It's fine for them to be implied. They added nothing.

shakalaka
01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't know how much credibility I would give to an opinion of a friend who has Spring Breakers as one of their top 10 movies. I turned that movie off on Netflix after checking out the initial scene with all the titties. lol.

95EG6P
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I don't know how much credibility I would give to an opinion of a friend who has Spring Breakers as one of their top 10 movies. I turned that movie off on Netflix after checking out the initial scene with all the titties. lol.

:werd: spring breakers was awful when james franco sucking the gun like c*ck is pretty weird and not cool

hurrdurr
01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Gotta see this movie and LOL at springbreakers

sputnik
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
By FAR the WORST Scorsese movie to date.

It was like removing the plot from Goodfellas and filling in the gaps with boobs, toilet humour, f-bombs and other recycled material.

icky2unk
01-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jornoz
From what I've heard it's a good film but over the top and gratuitous for no real reason.

I have a friend that reviews movies and he gave it a 3 (out of a possible 4) and said that it was a good film, moderately funny, good plot, but it was incredibly vulgar for no reason. He's not a prude by any stretch (one of his top 10 films of the year was Spring Breakers) but watching people have sex all the time and dropping F bombs every sentence just takes up space.

Basically he said that we didn't need to actually watch the sex scenes. It's fine for them to be implied. They added nothing.

Isn't that the point, to show out of hand it got?

eiysa101
01-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Wow - I didn't like this film at all. Had high hopes after everyone was praising it over American Hustle (which I enjoyed).

This movie just didn't do it for me. It was fun to watch but I preferred the storyline of American Hustle better.

roopi
01-16-2014, 11:27 AM
For everyone who is saying the storyline/plot isn't great you do realize that this is based on a true story right?

Tik-Tok
01-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I enjoyed it, very entertaining, although I would never have guessed Scorsese directed it (wasn't his typical film).

eiysa101
01-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi
For everyone who is saying the storyline/plot isn't great you do realize that this is based on a true story right?

So "based on true stories" cant be adjusted to be more entertaining?

hurrdurr
01-16-2014, 02:10 PM
This movie was fucking Crazy.

lasimmon
01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by eiysa101

Except almost everyone agrees is was entertaining except you.

icky2unk
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM

American Hustle was long and dry I was far more entertained in the wolf of wall street.

Still a good movie but I thought American Hustle was a sleeper.

16hypen3sp
01-17-2014, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by beecue
^ haha yeah, everyone should keep a tally of how many people walk out. There were 4 in my screening.

:rofl:

This is an excellent point. I had done a little research on this movie and what to expect before myself and my girlfriend went to the theatre. It was about half full with mainly young people... with the exception of the couple sitting beside us. They had to be in their 70's.

Now because I had a little knowledge on what we were about to see, I expected the older couple to at least look away or walk out... But they had eyes on the screen the entire time.

When we seen Flight, there was a couple older women who stared at the wall during the first few mins... Anyone who has seen it will know what I'm talking about.

Great movies tho!

sputnik
01-17-2014, 08:25 AM

The stories don't even need to be modified... just properly curated and edited.

Canucks3322
01-17-2014, 09:35 AM
My theater was mostly 30 plus to people in 50s and 60s...you do realize that people were young once right. ..my coworker did ask me if it was appropriate for his 15 year olds...I said no..The movie glorified everything and showed no consequences other than going to country club prison for afew months. Great movie though lol from a movie making perspective.

WhippWhapp
01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Loved it, vintage Scorsese!

Best scene is when Donnie is begging Jordan to take a pull on the glass pipe"Smoke this crack with me, bro"... LOL.

Ahhhh, had no idea just how prevalent Quaalude's were until this movie.

max_boost
01-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
My theater was mostly 30 plus to people in 50s and 60s...you do realize that people were young once right. ..my coworker did ask me if it was appropriate for his 15 year olds...I said no..The movie glorified everything and showed no consequences other than going to country club prison for afew months. Great movie though lol from a movie making perspective.

:werd:

How boring of a dude would you be if you couldn't enjoy this movie for what it is haha

FraserB and sputnik probably be the ones to walk out. :rofl:

01RedDX
01-18-2014, 12:47 AM

Manhattan
01-18-2014, 01:25 AM
What's the deal with the praise for American Hustle. It was a movie that bombed for me. I almost walked out of that one because of how bored I was. It was so melodramatic I found myself asking what the hell is the point at various points during the movie. I don't understand what people like about it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Wolf of Wall Street tho.

EDIT: Lots of these posts on IMDB -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800241/board/nest/224688673

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1800241/board/nest/224600839

01RedDX
01-18-2014, 07:34 AM

icky2unk
01-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ sorry, but I'm not sure what those imdb messages from a random few people are supposed to prove. :nut: I can show you a hundred more proving my point. The real consensus is 76% for The Wolf of Wall Street, 93% for American Hustle, that's from rotten tomatoes, an actual aggregator, and is more in line with reality. If you liked this one better that's fine, but the fact is the other movie was better executed, that's all. They're both good movies.

On the critic scale. On the user scale TWOWS = 82%, AH = 80%. On IMDB User Ratings TWOWS = 8.6, AH = 7.8. Just saying to me an aggregate of 120,000 Review is far superior then the reviews of 200 Critics.

The reason critics will praise AH over TWOWS is because they are two different movies. AH is a safe type of movie that doesn't break any boundaries, unlike TWOWS, which will drive people nuts with the excessive nudity and swearing. Everyone has become so sensitive these days, that is why critics will dislike TWOWS. It was far better than AH in my opinion. The only time excessive works is when it is in to demonstrate pain of a real life story aka 12 Years a Slave.

Manhattan
01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
I like Rotten Tomatoes but what happens a lot of the time is a marginally decent movie will get +90% fresh because there it's a safe movie and gets a marginally positive rating from a majority of critics. On the other hand, a brilliant but polarizing movie such as TWOWS gets a much lower rating because it's not for everyone but arguably a more ambitious and better film. Watch quite a few movies last year that were above 90% and left disappointed.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
I just went through a bunch of audience reviews of the movie, and it seems like 90% of them didn't like the movie, because they don't like the reality that someone could be such an asshole, and get away with it. Apparently Americans hate seeing the reality of their own countries business sector. :rofl:

finboy
02-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Just watched American hustle and wolf of wallstreet in the last two days.

Ah was good, and had some entertaining parts, it was a good all around Hollywood style film, I think it could have dropped a half hour or so to keep the pace moving.

Woww to me was just 3 hours of celebrating excess, but I was really entertained the whole time, and THAT is a challenge. I think the fact that 3 hours can keep people that engrossed is a testament to how good Scorsese and Leo work together. It was by no means a traditional approach to a Hollywood movie, and if anyone else made this movie it would have been a dud, but for me it worked? :dunno:

BigMass
02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
through it was over rated for the amount of hype it's getting. Basically a mish mash of Wall Street, Casino, Blow and Boiler Room. Zero character development or any connection to anything going on in the movie. Seems like movies suck so bad lately that the first sign of anything competent is hailed as the best thing ever. BTW love Scorsese and Leo but they've both made far better movies than this.

msommers
02-08-2014, 05:02 AM
I saw this again tonight and I still loved it.

Also, I could watch Margot Robbie on repeat for awhile - She's absolutely stunning.