PDA

View Full Version : Hail damage on SEF20 rental

MaryR
06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
We have a rental replacement for a vehicle which is being repaired. And....boom.... two hours after getting it the skies open and hail descends on our city (in Alberta).

With our insurance (AMA) we have rental coverage and we have this SEF20 coverage. We have full coverage on one vehicle (NOT the one in the shop) and only basic on the one in the shop (collision was not our fault).

We did not take extra coverage at time of rental, although our credit card (which we gave to the car rental company) also has coverage.

What will we be on the hook for in terms of damage? What coverage transfers to the rental vehicle?

Nismorphed
06-17-2013, 07:17 PM
If you used your credit card as insurance when you took the rental, they should take car of it. The credit card would have to be a gold card or maybe call them and ask if they cover rental insurance.

If you used you own insurance and transferred it to the rental. You will have to make a claim under your own insurance and pay a deductible for a car that isn't yours to get fixed.

I would go the credit card route if you can

osspasha
06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
its not ur fault it hailed, i dont c why would u or ur insurance would take care of it, am not an insurance expert

Nismorphed
06-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by osspasha
its not ur fault it hailed, i dont c why would u or ur insurance would take care of it, am not an insurance expert

What are you trying to say? Who pays for the damage then? god?

MaryR
06-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes...the credit card has coverage for damage. But...I think it would require that the entire rental be on the card to be activated. Which, obviously, in this case it isn't as the insurance company foots the bill.

If the car being repaired doesn't have more than basic coverage, is this type of damage covered? If it was our vehicle, it wouldn't be. But...this is a different part of a policy.....

Any other insights would be most appreciated!

spikerS
06-17-2013, 08:40 PM
who is paying for the rental?

You or the other insurance company?

If you are, you are probably SOL.

If the other insurance company is, they are paying for the rental, and thus responsible to make sure it is insured properly, as you are just added as a driver.

bourge73
06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
If you didn't take their insurance be prepared to be bent over Mary and banged by the rental company,,,,....

bowlofrice
06-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
If you didn't take their insurance be prepared to be bent over Mary and banged by the rental company,,,,....

+1 .... had an insurance rental couple weeks back and the window split from the temperature change because of a tiny rock chip from previous renter and i had to fork out 220 bucks cuz i didnt take their insurance

BigShow
06-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by bourge73

:werd: Might as well just buy the vehicle outright.

guessboi
06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Rentals are covered under SEF 27 - Check if you have it and read the wordings in your AMA policy.
SEF 20 only covers the cost to rent the vehicle while you are unable to use your own vehicle.

Xtrema
06-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
Rentals are covered under SEF 27 - Check if you have it and read the wordings in your AMA policy.
SEF 20 only covers the cost to rent the vehicle while you are unable to use your own vehicle.

My guess OP case is where everything is billed to AMA, so I don't think there was even a choice to use the CC or choose cdw on the contract.

When AMA gave me a rental a few years back, I just pick up one from Enterprise and I never saw details of contract. Everything was already prearranged.

I think it best to call AMA to confirm.

Boosted131
06-17-2013, 11:43 PM
its not ur fault it hailed, i dont c why would u or ur insurance would take care of it, am not an insurance expert Not an english expert either :english:

osspasha
06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Not an english expert either :english:

seriously how old r u

Boosted131
06-18-2013, 11:06 AM

seriously how old r u Old enough to have finished post secondary, and know how to write in English. How about you?

spikerS
06-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Old enough to have finished post secondary, and I know how to write in English. How about you?

Fixed.

http://www.troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

:rofl:

jwslam
06-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by spikers
Fixed.

double :rofl:

osspasha
06-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Fixed.

http://www.troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/english-motherfucker-do-you-speak-it.jpg

hahahaha

Boosted131
06-18-2013, 12:01 PM

Fixed.

:rofl: Mine was correct as well. :D

spikerS
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Mine was correct as well. :D

I know, but I was desperately trying to find a way to correct you. :rofl:

and just for argument's sake, I think mine is more correct.