PDA

View Full Version : HELP for a new(ish) BComm grad?

Brendork
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey everybody,

I have a bit of a dilemma... I graduated at the end of last year with a BComm degree in Marketing from the U of C and have since finished off a Public Relations Certificate at Mount Royal as well. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a decent job anywhere.

Right now I'm working at a bank so I actually have (a bit of) cash coming in but it really isn't where I want to be. Anyone have any advice on where I could have a bit more success with my applications? It feels like you have to know someone at any of the big O&G companies in order to even get an interview. I am obviously interested in marketing, but I would definitely try something like procurement or an entry-level analyst type of role as well. Right now I just need to get a start somewhere and I'm having trouble finding a place that doesn't want 2+ years of experience..

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! (besides going back to school to take engineering...):thumbsdow

themack89
06-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Have you tried pipeline companies

ExtraSlow
06-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how that Bcomm/marketing/public relations combo qualifies you for any specific field.

themack89
06-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how that Bcomm/marketing/public relations combo qualifies you for any specific field.

I agree with this. But I think the guy just needs an interview and he would get something, assuming there aren't technical questions. From my experience, marketing majors tend to be liberal/artsy and good with people, this in and of itself may be enough to get in the door.

Use your marketing cunning--re-vamp your resume and how you're applying and just get interviews.

AndyL
06-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Just a crazy thought... go out and get the experience :D wasn't there internships to be had in bcomm?

if not elance.com likely has some projects - and i can think of a small business or 3 who'd pay you peanuts - and maybe beer - but it gives you references and portfolio material...

Brendork
06-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by themack89
Have you tried pipeline companies

That's part of my problem, the only ones I really know of are the BIG ones that 2000 other people apply at every day.

You guys are right, marketing focuses more on soft skills instead of any specific technical skill. That was part of the reason I went into it, thinking that it would set me up for lots of different opportunities. I now know otherwise haha...

I know that once I get that first real job I won't have any problems moving up, but I just need to get that first job that will actually give me some experience to go along with my education.

Yes AndyL there were internships, but they were the last thing on my mind at the time. Coulda, shoulda, woulda at this point though.

ExtraSlow
06-18-2013, 06:22 AM
Usually the university will help you land that first job. Lurk around the career centre, and the undergrad office of your program.

Myrrinda
06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Try accounting firms. Example (though you're probably too late for this, since you've graduated):
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHost/jobdetails.aspx?SID=%5e%2fSTuScvUE%2fMVWrVrlcfZV0zXhv2a1LaGPEo3G8Kqehvti1vdcWlFmMj2rZMDj90s&jobId=921236&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5545&JobSiteInfo=921236_5545&GQId=1497

JBreaks
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Congrats on graduating from the easiest part of your life.

You know finals week... ya, once you get a job that will be every day for the rest of your life. Except now, if you fail one of your 'finals' you can't just take it the class over and it might cost you your home, promotion, bonus or ultimately girlfriend in the long run.

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't think that's true

Brendork
06-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by JBreaks
Congrats on graduating from the easiest part of your life.

You know finals week... ya, once you get a job that will be every day for the rest of your life. Except now, if you fail one of your 'finals' you can't just take it the class over and it might cost you your home, promotion, bonus or ultimately girlfriend in the long run.

Sounds like someone's had a rough go of it...

I'm not expecting it to be easy at all. Like I said above, I'm having a hell of a time finding a job that will actually give me some decent experience but I don't think that it's going to be as bad as you're making out to be by any means...

austic
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM
get involved with industry associtions such as CAPP. All of my PR friends that work in oil and gas got there start working at CAPP then on to consulting then on to the oil and gas companies.

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
OP, You've got PM