PDA

View Full Version : Car selling advice: to fix or not to fix

Nickfit
06-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Hey guys and gals,
I'm trying to sell an old toyota corolla for my folks and its in great shape except the front bumper has a cosmetic gash after bottoming out on rebar in a parking lot a few years ago. Wondering if its worth replacing the bumper prior to selling and how much of a discount is fair to deduct this cost off the selling price if I chose not to fix. As well, anyone know of a local place sells Toyota parts?

Thanks in advance!

ExtraSlow
06-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Generally, whatever it costs to fix, you should deduct at least that much off the asking price. Used car buyers are always looking for a reason to pay you less, and unless it is very minor, they will want a big discount for taking a damaged car.

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 07:26 AM
IMO not many people buy an old Toyota for the shape of the body. I wouldn't fix it unless it looks like its going to fall off

Kloubek
06-18-2013, 07:34 AM
On any of my vehicles that had minor body issues I did what I could to make them look better (touch up paint, filler, etc) and then sold them that way. You'll never make your money back out of getting an old car to pristine levels.

GTS4tw
06-18-2013, 07:46 AM
How old is the corolla, and how much do you want.... Pics? PM me if its a real old one.