PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver/Seattle Route Suggestions

BrknFngrs
06-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm going to be driving Calgary --> Vancouver --> Seattle --> Calgary and I'm looking for suggested routes for the Seattle to Calgary leg in particular.

Seattle --> Calgary leg will be the end of the trip and I'm hoping to do it in one day, just not sure what the best route would be considering border crossings and what not.

Google maps is suggesting going back into BC immediately and then taking the interior back to Calgary as being the quickest but I've always heard good things about the highways in the states so I wanted opinions from people who've made the drive.

flipstah
06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Do you just wanna get home fast or like to have scenery?

Fastest route home:

Seattle --> Spokane --> Butte --> Calgary

That interstate is gold. :drool:

a social dsease
06-18-2013, 10:04 AM
You can take I90 east out of Seattle to Coeur D'Alene, then take Hwy95 up to the BC border which comes out near Cranbrook. Google maps says it is 18 mins slower than just heading back up to Vancouver then taking the TCH back. However it might be faster because you might be able to speed a bit more on I90, and also the border crossing in Idaho will probably be much faster than going through Peace Arch. Another benefit is that you will save some $$ on gas if you are going through the states. A couple yrs ago I drove from Van-Fernie and I took I90 and I estimated I saved about $20 in gas.

BrknFngrs
06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately just looking for the fastest route for the way home, hoping to do the scenery thing on the way out instead.

Any idea what kind of time frame I'd be looking at with your route? Assuming a reasonably legal cruising speed ha-ha

jibber
06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
As long as you're not driving a 240SX/Silvia/180SX, you should be able to make good time through BC.

flipstah
06-18-2013, 10:21 AM
13-14 hours including gas and lunch.

BrknFngrs
06-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
You can take I90 east out of Seattle to Coeur D'Alene, then take Hwy95 up to the BC border which comes out near Cranbrook. Google maps says it is 18 mins slower than just heading back up to Vancouver then taking the TCH back. However it might be faster because you might be able to speed a bit more on I90, and also the border crossing in Idaho will probably be much faster than going through Peace Arch. Another benefit is that you will save some $$ on gas if you are going through the states. A couple yrs ago I drove from Van-Fernie and I took I90 and I estimated I saved about $20 in gas.

Hmm ya this option seemed interesting when I google mapped it. Cheaper gas is always a perk as well. Are interstate speedlimits 65mph?

Originally posted by jibber
As long as you're not driving a 240SX/Silvia/180SX, you should be able to make good time through BC.

:thumbsup: I'm not rocking a Nissan and I'm hoping for a "set the cruise and crank the tunes" kind of drive.

Originally posted by flipstah
13-14 hours including gas and lunch.

That's actually quite a bit longer than I was expecting; the two top google maps routes are both sub 12 hours. Though I'm not sure how accurate that would be at predicting border corssing, etc.

flipstah
06-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

That's actually quite a bit longer than I was expecting; the two top google maps routes are both sub 12 hours. Though I'm not sure how accurate that would be at predicting border corssing, etc.

Well, you said you'll be following speed limit to cruise.

That sub-12 hours Google gives you doesn't include pitstops and an hour lunch. Mine does. :)

Border crossing in Montana isn't busy in the early mornings. It will be during the day though, especially if it's a long weekend.

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Definitely go through the states. Probably around 13 hours.
Also go to the Crab pot in Seattle

BrknFngrs
06-18-2013, 11:43 AM
So consensus seems to be that I'm better off going through the states for a good chunk of the drive. That would have me crossing the boarder late in the evening on July 5 (as opposed to early morning if I cross near Vancouver and do most of the drive in Canada)

If I go I-90 right to Butte it looks like I can take interstates right to the border but it adds on roughly 300 miles compared to taking the I-90 to Couer d'Alene and then making a b-line for the boarder on the 95. Seems like a lot of mileage to make up, no? Are the interstates that much better or is it just a more scenic option?

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Also in before someone mentions that there are a dozen other threads about this.

flipstah
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Calgary --> Vancouver
Hwy1

Vancouver --> Seattle
Drive to Sumas, which will definitely save you time at the border or this border:

British Columbia 13, BC V4W 2L6

Seattle --> Calgary
Head to Coeur d'Alene and I-95 up if you want mountainous views
If you just want to GTFO, I-90 to Butte then head north to Calgary

dirtsniffer
06-18-2013, 12:08 PM
interstates aren't really scenic. usually free coffee at rest stops though.

Isn't the I95 faster than the I90? Also if you go through Fernie you can go to Big Bang Bagels :drool:

flipstah
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
interstates aren't really scenic. usually free coffee at rest stops though.

Isn't the I95 faster than the I90? Also if you go through Fernie you can go to Big Bang Bagels :drool:

I-95 is mountainous majority of the way. I-90 is relatively flat but on the way up north, it gets mountainous through Montana then flat again.

I-95 is faster but if you feel like gunning it, you get better opportunities to make up time in I-90.

C_Dave45
06-18-2013, 11:33 PM
The fastest route is what Google suggests. Right back up into Canada and Hwy 1 home.
If anyone thinks it's faster going up through Butte, hwy 3, Crowsnest, whatever...you're delusional.

But whatever...make you're own decision.

sputnik
06-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately just looking for the fastest route for the way home, hoping to do the scenery thing on the way out instead.

You're doing it backwards.

There really isn't much of a scenic route from Calgary to Vancouver (unless you are new to the Coq)... however there are some GREAT roads in WA state between Seattle and Calgary.

taemo
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
The fastest route is what Google suggests. Right back up into Canada and Hwy 1 home.
If anyone thinks it's faster going up through Butte, hwy 3, Crowsnest, whatever...you're delusional.

But whatever...make you're own decision.

what makes the Seattle-Vancouver-Calgary route longer though is the border unless it's quick in Abbotsford and Osoyoos?

driving all the way to Butte IMO is too far, we always take I-95 through Sandpoint whcih IMO is a great place to stay as well.
Usually if we leave Seattle at around 4am, we are in Calgary shortly after 5pm

btw for anyone driving to Seattle, can you please buy me a case of this?
http://c3.soap.com/images/products/p/dcs/dcs-931b_1z.jpg

C_Dave45
06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by taemo

what makes the Seattle-Vancouver-Calgary route longer though is the border unless it's quick in Abbotsford and Osoyoos?

The Sumas/Abbotsford crossing is no wait. I just drove by there yesterday and Saturday. 5 minute southbound, 0 minutes northbound. It gets a little crowded Northbound at around 5:00-6:00 as the local Abbotsford people shop during the day down there. But mid-day, you breeze right through. 3 minutes from there and you're on Hwy 1 at 110-120 km/h.

This is the quickest route: http://goo.gl/maps/JHaoq
This will be an easy 11 hour trip...probably less than that even.

Live view of Sumas/Abbotsford crossing right now:

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2v8oe45.jpg

clem24
06-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I always take the Seattle -> Spokane -> cross via Eastgate/Cranbrook -> 93 -> 22 route. You spend more time in the US (cheaper gas) and I personally HATE going through the rockies on #1 (too many slow cars/semis) and too much traffic IMO. Then there's the shitty 90km/h section through Banff park.

I am willing to bet the differences between Dave's route and this are minimal at best.

DO NOT go to Butte.. Whoever suggests that is fucking stupid. That almost 500 km's to the trip.

C_Dave45
06-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I always take the Seattle -> Spokane -> cross via Eastgate/Cranbrook -> 93 -> 22 route. You spend more time in the US (cheaper gas) and I personally HATE going through the rockies on #1 (too many slow cars/semis) and too much traffic IMO. Then there's the shitty 90km/h section through Banff park.

I am willing to bet the differences between Dave's route and this are minimal at best.

DO NOT go to Butte.. Whoever suggests that is fucking stupid. That almost 500 km's to the trip.

You might be right about "minimal at best". I don't disagree there. But still faster. You go through two national parks on I90...speed limit drops there too.
(*edit*...sorry....looking at the longer route)

We just came through Banff and Yoho on Saturday. I had the cruise set at around 108. Had a few cars pass me, and passed a few. No one does the 90.

Also I couldn't believe how empty it was on Saturday. Saw very few Semi's and RV's. Almost like it was early spring or late fall. Very strange. No stoppages through Lake Louise. Made the drive in 9 hours exactly. 120 through the Coq and the normal hwy speeds.

But going through the Yak, Cranbrook area is really slow, I find. But that way is far prettier than the normal hwy 1 route.

BrknFngrs
06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I can't go too far wrong with either jumping back into Canada right above Seattle or meandering back across the states to cross at eastgate/crankbrook. Odds are I'll take that approach since I'll be driving the transcanada to Vancouver and it'll let me take advantage of the cheap US gas a bit.

Dave, 9 hours all in from Seattle? That seems crazy quick!

C_Dave45
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I can't go too far wrong with either jumping back into Canada right above Seattle or meandering back across the states to cross at eastgate/crankbrook. Odds are I'll take that approach since I'll be driving the transcanada to Vancouver and it'll let me take advantage of the cheap US gas a bit.

Dave, 9 hours all in from Seattle? That seems crazy quick!

No, 9 hours was Calgary-Abbotsford. Abbotsford to Seattle is around 2 hours, depending on where in Seattle.

clem24
06-19-2013, 02:34 PM

No, 9 hours was Calgary-Abbotsford. Abbotsford to Seattle is around 2 hours, depending on where in Seattle.

I'd say both directions is a solid 11 hours from Calgary city limit to first city in Seattle (like Redmond). Both have their +/- but to me, I hear way more closures and delays on highway 1 than highway 3.

Dave, not sure what you're smoking but highway 1 is BY FAR the prettier drive LOL... I think you're just bored of it.

BrknFngrs, on the way back, fill it up at Coeur D'alene, then pump her full again at Bonner's Ferry (Zip Trip is the cheapest) as that's the last station before the border. Stop into Spokane for lunch at Sonic (mmmmm strawberry limeade).

There's also some really cool stops like the viewpoint at the Columbia river looking down the canyon but unfortunately, you can't get to the good side if you're heading east.

I should also add 2 things: the Peace Arch border crossing sucks shit. It's a minimum of 45 mins to an hour wait, sometimes 2. This is the crossing from Vancouver (via Richmond) to the I5.

And I hope the I5 span over the Skagit River gets repaired on time. Supposedly to open today but with traffic being slowed to around 40mph, could create some nice jams.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Skagit+River+bridge+reopen+Wednesday+less+than+month+after+collapse/8544058/story.html

flipstah
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Well, I don't even know WTF I was on suggesting Butte.

For some reason I thought this was the way but I was thinking about California instead of Seattle. :banghead:

I'm just gonna go in the corner and cry myself to sleep now.

CRXguy
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Hey Dave,

Any major constructions going on from Calgary to BC? I'm driving out next Wednesday to Vancouver.

C_Dave45
06-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Nothing when we went through. Stopped for 5 minutes for some minor work just west of salmon arm.

And yeah I guess you're right Clem, hwy 1 is prettier. I do it so often I'm bored of it. Usually talk the wife into driving and I sleep.

But yeah, don't EVER head up I5 and through Peace Arch. Break off at Bellingham and cross at Sumas. Quicker than Aldergrove even.

ExtraSlow
06-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Highway 20 through washington state is very pretty, although a lot of it is single lane, so you won't be setting any speed records. It crosses a lot of mountain passes, so be a nice drive in a sports car, not as fun pulling a heavy trailer.

tirebob
06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Much of my wife's family is in Seattle and we make that drive frequently and the fastest route is definitely the 1 right through to Abbotsford and cross at Sumas, or Aldergrove. Both those crossing are usually quick. Now if you want a beautiful and amazing road to drive and you have the time, the 20 from Omak WA through the mountains coming out on the I5 near Everett WA is amazing! Winthrop, Diablo Lake, etc is really sweet. This North Cascades pass is really a road everyone needs to take at some point. Super fun drive!

Cos
06-19-2013, 06:41 PM

nj2Type-S
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

With the recent events, it probably would not be possible to go through highway 1 to Vancouver by this weekend. Does that basically leave me with going south to Montana then west to Seattle?

I've always taken highway 1 to Vancouver then drive south to Seattle, so I've never been through another route. Please advise.

Thanks!

CRXguy
06-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
Hey guys,

With the recent events, it probably would not be possible to go through highway 1 to Vancouver by this weekend. Does that basically leave me with going south to Montana then west to Seattle?

I've always taken highway 1 to Vancouver then drive south to Seattle, so I've never been through another route. Please advise.

Thanks!

I'm leaving for Vancouver, but making a pit stop in Kamloops Wednesday night. We had planned to leave around 4PM, but will probably leave around noon just in case.

I checked AMA Road Report and the area between Rocky Mountain House and Lake Louise look clear. Southern Alberta looks clear as well, although I'm not sure if there's any delays by High River/Fort Macleod/Crowsnest Highway.

Looks like I'm taking a bit of a detour: Hwy2 North, 567 West, 22 North, Hwy11 West, Hwy93 South and then TCH.

C_Dave45
06-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

I'm leaving for Vancouver, but making a pit stop in Kamloops Wednesday night. We had planned to leave around 4PM, but will probably leave around noon just in case.

I checked AMA Road Report and the area between Rocky Mountain House and Lake Louise look clear. Southern Alberta looks clear as well, although I'm not sure if there's any delays by High River/Fort Macleod/Crowsnest Highway.

Looks like I'm taking a bit of a detour: Hwy2 North, 567 West, 22 North, Hwy11 West, Hwy93 South and then TCH.

Is 93 open for sure? On the 511 road report it says this:

Highway 93 North is open to commercial traffic (i.e. semi-trailers) by permit only. RCMP are enforcing this restriction.
Last UpdateSun Jun 23 2013 at 10:45 AM MDT

CRXguy
06-23-2013, 11:36 PM
I just saw that now. Been checking AMA lately. I tweeted them just now regarding travel restrictions for passenger vehicles from Hwy11-Hwy93-South-TCH. I also called 511 and they only mention 93 North but nothing about the southbound lanes.

EDIT: Southbound traffic is OK. Only 93 North is restricted to commercial.