PDA

View Full Version : single speed/fixie in Cgy?

r3ccOs
06-18-2013, 10:19 AM
How usable is a single speed or a fixie in Cgy?

I'm thinking of looking at some just because of sheer durability, and speed on paths...

but are our hills often too steep, and how hard is it to get used to a fixed gear bicycle?

luckily most hubs have a flip/flop option to go back to a free wheel, and have brakes as well

FixedGear
06-18-2013, 10:27 AM
All bikes have their time and place! What is your route and intended purpose for the bike? The one thing with fixed gear bikes is that you'll have to deal with people (most of whom haven't even been on a bike in 10-15 years) calling you a "hipster" -- no matter what kind of person you are. :rofl:

DeleriousZ
06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
It's too bad those bikes have gotten that stereotype.

That being said.. it's not your route or your ability that decides if a fixie is good for you, it's how tight your pants are and how thick the rims on your glasses are. :nut:

speedog
06-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Dunno about a fixie but I cycle commuted on a 3-speed Electra cruiser for numerous years - wasn't the fastest thing but hills weren't a problem and the thing was bullet proof. Don't worry about what others think - get a bike that suits your needs. Before my Electra, I was riding an older 12 speed touring and noticed that for the most part, I was only using 3 gears no matter where I was riding - thus my reasoning to go to a 3 speed.

Maybe talk to some of the courier people as a fair number of them use fixies but then again, you might not get a fair assessment from them as they mostly work the flat downtown/beltline area - hills will certainly be a work-out.

r3ccOs
06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
an internal hub'd bike would be awesome as well... but I like the 700 size tires by far...

not much of options between

the prices at oddbike.ca seem very attractive, and I'm not thinking of using it for full time commute... just to get to and from, and path riding

speedog
06-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Electra 3 speed internal with 700-40C tires - link (http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/amsterdam-original3i-bikes-mens-191063).

Bow Cycle, The Bike Shop and Pure Cycle are dealers in Calgary.

r3ccOs
06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
i don't like the cruiser style though :( I prefer velodyne/race geometry