PDA

View Full Version : Rear ended - General questions

summerlove.xo
06-19-2013, 09:46 AM
I was in the passenger seat of a vehicle. Was at a stop sign and the vehicle behind us drove into us. She said she dropped a water bottle and was trying to pick it up.. Claims she was only driving 5km/hr but it felt a lot harder than that as I am feeling the effects of whiplash with straining and stiffness in my neck, shoulder and now my back.

Exchanged info, called insurance, got a call from the injury claims adjuster (?) who asked me a few questions like "did you hit yourself anywhere physically" etc. and then sent me an e-mail with some forms to fill out if I decided to claim for treatment (physio, chiro or doctor but specially says no registered massage therapist?). My family doctor can't get me in until next Wednesday, or I can try her walk-in times at 8:30-9:30 this Sat - is that too late to go see someone??

Both vehicles looked ok - but I would still like to get it assessed to get the inside of the bumper checked out - how do I go about that? We didn't file a police report though - should we have??? Should we (the driver and I) be doing anything else??

I've never been in an accident before and don't know anyone who has been in one either. Just any advice and info would help, thanks.

FraserB
06-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Go get checked out right away, hospital if your doctor can't see you. You need to get that done and documented as soon as possible.

When you make the claim against her, none of this "be nice, no insurance" bullshit, tell them that you need to have the car inspected fully. If the damage totals more than $2000, you need ot have a police report before any shop can fix it. Make sure it is documented what she said at the scene as well.

r3ccOs
06-19-2013, 10:12 AM
I just go rearended last Friday and I am still dealing with concussion type issues...

my friend stopped for a pedistrian crossing at a crossing, in front of the Sunterra on Elbow Dr. and the lady hit us without even trying to brake...

no screeching, just a big thump

my wife and my friend both have whiplash and concussions

I thought I was "ok" with just a little bit of a re-aggrivated lower back, but once I got to work, and couldn't remember my password... I knew I was in trouble

Nitron88
06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I just go rearended last Friday and I am still dealing with concussion type issues...

my friend stopped for a pedistrian crossing at a crossing, in front of the Sunterra on Elbow Dr. and the lady hit us without even trying to brake...

no screeching, just a big thump

my wife and my friend both have whiplash and concussions

I thought I was "ok" with just a little bit of a re-aggrivated lower back, but once I got to work, and couldn't remember my password... I knew I was in trouble

With the retards behind the wheels in this city, I no longer stop unless absolutely necessary. I rather not be a victim of someone's idiocracy. Experienced too many similar events.

Xtrema
06-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nitron88

With the retards behind the wheels in this city, I no longer stop unless absolutely necessary. I rather not be a victim of someone's idiocracy. Experienced too many similar events.

My only 2 accidents in my driving career were stopping for pedestrians, so I see where you are coming from.

I think our driving education system need to improve. They are giving out DL like candies.

guessboi
06-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Go get checked out right away, hospital if your doctor can't see you. You need to get that done and documented as soon as possible.

When you make the claim against her, none of this "be nice, no insurance" bullshit, tell them that you need to have the car inspected fully. If the damage totals more than $2000, you need ot have a police report before any shop can fix it. Make sure it is documented what she said at the scene as well.

Well said!
OP - is this your vehicle? Is there full coverage on it?

spikerS
06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

I agree with Fraser about getting checked out ASAP, but DO NOT go to the emergency room at the hospital for this. The accident sounds really minor, esp when there is only a scuff on the bumper.

Book the next available appt with your doctor, or if you think you need pain meds, hit up a walk in. Any doctor's office will fit you in pretty quick when you say you were involved in a traffic accident. Fuck, you should have seen them scramble when I went to one to get checked out after a plane crash. I walked in without a scratch, and they dropped everything for me, even though I said I was fine.

It is shit like this that is putting un-necessary strains on ER staff, and putting wait times through the roof.

ExtraSlow
06-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I was rear ended, stopping for pedestrian, as well. Luckily for me, wasn't serious injuries, but it is very imortant that you get yoruself checked by a real doctor right away. If you can't do a doctor, find yourself a physiotherapist who specialijes in MVA injuries. Someone should see you within 1 day.
Also be sure to document any costs you incur, like time off work (if unpaid).

And the number one rule, do not negotiate a final settlement until you are sure that you are fully healed and you aren't going to have additional issues later.

summerlove.xo
06-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for your comment FraserB, it was really helpful.

r3ccOs, hope you are ok and you recover quickly!

OP - is this your vehicle? Is there full coverage on it?

Yes it was my vehicle and we do have full coverage. My sister was driving the vehicle though as I was in the passenger seat and she is also covered under the insurance for it.

I told my family doctor that I got rear-ended and they said the only way I could see them early is if I came in during their walk-in hours from 8:30am to 9:30am. I don't want to miss work for it so I will probably just visit a physio as soon as I can, hopefully today after work. I agree with the comment about ER being super packed, wouldn't have considered visiting one anyway.

Still haven't heard from the claims adjuster yet for the vehicle though.

FraserB
06-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Also be sure to document any costs you incur, like time off work (if unpaid).

I'm curious about this. I have a substantial amount of time off available to me, for which I would be paid my normal rate. However, this would preclude me using it for normal vacations.

If I use that in the event of an accident, I assume I would be able to claim for all that time?

FraserB
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by summerlove.xo
Thanks for your comment FraserB, it was really helpful.

r3ccOs, hope you are ok and you recover quickly!

Yes it was my vehicle and we do have full coverage. My sister was driving the vehicle though as I was in the passenger seat and she is also covered under the insurance for it.

I told my family doctor that I got rear-ended and they said the only way I could see them early is if I came in during their walk-in hours from 8:30am to 9:30am. I don't want to miss work for it so I will probably just visit a physio as soon as I can, hopefully today after work. I agree with the comment about ER being super packed, wouldn't have considered visiting one anyway.

Still haven't heard from the claims adjuster yet for the vehicle though.

Since you have full coverage, your insurance should be doing all the fighting for you. As for getting checked out, I think Dr. Tom Kelly at Spinal Guy can do it. Worth a call, he's a great guy.