PDA

View Full Version : Utilities For Home?Which Company?

dj_rice
06-20-2013, 06:37 AM
I'll be moving into my house in a few weeks. Lived in a condo before so never really dealt with any of this utilities stuff till now. Haven't really thought about who I'll be going with for what and where. This is in Edmonton by the way.

Water - Only choice is by the city from Epcor I believe?

Power - Epcor? EasyMax By Enmax?

Gas - Epcor?Is this the only choice?

Looking for recommendations of who to go with and what plans/rates you guys are going with.

Thanks in advance to those who contribute

ipeefreely
06-20-2013, 09:21 AM
There are lots of threads on this but...

I use:
EPCOR - Waste & Water (no choice)

ENMAX EasyMAX - Power (fixed - 8 cents/kWh) & GAS (float)

EasyMax is the only contract that you can jump in and out with 30 days notice. Other companies you are locked in for the term and will have to pay cancellation fees to get out! :whipped:

EPCOR doesn't do contracts so your always on floating.

Rates have gone up since I locked in 3 years ago so check the new rates. EasyMAX Rates (https://www.enmax.com/Energy/Res/My+Account/Current+EasyMax+Rates.htm)

Don't use Direct Energy for gas... they're a bunch of crocks and they'll try and lock you into a restarted rate ($10+ /GJ) for five years! :nut:

dj_rice
06-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Gas- Don't use Direct Energy. ATCO I guess is good?

ipeefreely
06-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Gas- Don't use Direct Energy. ATCO I guess is good?

Everything comes from ATCO but you can't buy from them you have to use an other company.

Have a look around on this site:ucahelps.alberta.ca (http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/choices-and-rates.aspx)

dj_rice
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

Everything comes from ATCO but you can't buy from them you have to use an other company.

Have a look around on this site:ucahelps.alberta.ca (http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/choices-and-rates.aspx)

Thanks for the link. Was actually browsing through it since I was Googling at work. :thumbsup: Appreciate it

Sugarphreak
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Cos
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM

ipeefreely
06-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Fixed. OP is in Edmonton. Fortis is Lac La Biche south outside of Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Med Hat, and Fort McLeod.

EPCOR is Edmonton Power Corp
Enmax is Calgary
Atco is north province.

I'm in Edmonton too last time I checked! :rofl:

He was asking about natural gas distribution from ATCO... not power! :rofl:

Cos
06-20-2013, 05:47 PM

ipeefreely
06-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I only read one quote in a text.
:D
Sorry about that. Haha
No problem! :rofl:

Originally posted by Cos
Personally I do fixed electricity and variable gas with Easymax and then take their monthly easymax credits and apply it towards my bill.
Me too! :thumbsup: :D

zooter
06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
keep in mind you will probably have to sign up with direct energy to begin with as the regulated provider, then switch over the enmax after a month or so..Enmax can't deliver service right away

Stewjoe
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Contracts can take up to 60 day to take effect. You have to initally sign up with the regulated rate provider and when the contract takes effect you will automaticaly switch over.

ipeefreely
06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by zooter
keep in mind you will probably have to sign up with direct energy to begin with as the regulated provider, then switch over the enmax after a month or so..Enmax can't deliver service right away
Originally posted by Stewjoe
Contracts can take up to 60 day to take effect. You have to initally sign up with the regulated rate provider and when the contract takes effect you will automaticaly switch over.
You shouldn't have to... I've moved twice and was able to setup with ENMAX right away.

The last time I just signed up online put my meter #s in and that was it. It does say up to... but it's never been an issue for me.... :dunno:

I'd get the meter #s as soon as you can to start the process though... :thumbsup:

78si
06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
EnMax EasyMax for everything... gas and electric, seems to be the cheapest way to go

Also as stated, don't even talk to Direct Energy

:thumbsup:

Anyone EXCEPT direct energy!

dj_rice
06-27-2013, 10:06 PM

You shouldn't have to... I've moved twice and was able to setup with ENMAX right away.

The last time I just signed up online put my meter #s in and that was it. It does say up to... but it's never been an issue for me.... :dunno:

I'd get the meter #s as soon as you can to start the process though... :thumbsup:

I just signed up online application with Enmax Easymax. I did the thing you said and entered the Meter #'s in. It lets you find the meter #'s on its website itself.

Hopefully it works. After signing up, it said they will notify my current provider?

We'll see what happens.

Cos
06-28-2013, 06:07 AM

BigMass
06-28-2013, 09:05 AM
easymax cause I like only having one bill

dj_rice
06-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Got a reply from Enmax today. Looks like Easymax is all setup. They gave me my new account # and all that jazz.

*****Spoke too soon. On their reply, it says "your service will begin billing on our EasyMax plan effective July 27/2013.

I move in July 5th so I guess I will have to sign up with Epcor and Direct Energy for time being till July 27.

Thanks ipeefreely and all who have posted. Appreciated!

ipeefreely
06-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Well that sucks..... I didn't realize you were moving so soon...

I'd give EPCOR a call and see what they say... you might be able to ride out the 22 days! :rofl:

I'd avoid calling Direct Energy until you talk with them first. :nut:

dj_rice
06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Well that sucks..... I didn't realize you were moving so soon...

I'd give EPCOR a call and see what they say... you might be able to ride out the 22 days! :rofl:

I'd avoid calling Direct Energy until you talk with them first. :nut:

Signed up with Epcor for electricity starting from July 2. They said I'll have to do $200 deposit and I'll get it back after 12 months or whenever EasyMax takes over.

Signed up with Direct Energy as well starting July 1. Same thing, EasyMax will take over. No contract.

Only choices.

Stewjoe
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I forget what retailer it is (spot power?) but they actually pay interest on the deposit.

DENZILDON
06-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Got a reply from Enmax today. Looks like Easymax is all setup. They gave me my new account # and all that jazz.

*****Spoke too soon. On their reply, it says "your service will begin billing on our EasyMax plan effective July 27/2013.

I move in July 5th so I guess I will have to sign up with Epcor and Direct Energy for time being till July 27.

Thanks ipeefreely and all who have posted. Appreciated!

Just call them 310-2010 so the can move that date. Just make sure the old party is not up for disconnection before you take over. You can check epcor regarding that.

***EDIT**too late you already called them. Then leave as it is, at lease you will know that you will have power since they would have cancelled any discon if there were any.

Canucks3322
07-01-2013, 09:31 AM
This spunds complicated lol....posession date of my brand new house is July 9, I better get off my ass quick, walk thru is tomorrow...

403ep3
07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Oops just signed up for enmax for Aug 6 possession. Hopefully I can get it.

The Wanderer
07-15-2013, 03:54 PM
If you sign up online you do not (currently) have the ability to choose your date. Online has a 10 day cooling period and 30 day notification period.
Depending on the default retailer, will the determine how much time they require. So online apps take 10-40 days online.
If you sign up online and need to change the move in day, call as 310-2010 and request a change in move in date.

If you call in to set up services it can be set as soon as the next day for easymax if cooling an notification is waived

v2kai
04-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Bump.

Moving into our first house soon and getting ready to sign up for utilities for the first time. While looking at our options we came across sponsor energy. Anybody have any experience with them or have any helpful info? or is the consensus that easymax is the way to go?

Their statement seems all well and good on the website, apparently half of profits goes to a local charity you specify... but can anyone chime in on the rates theyre offering? I have no experience to draw on at this point.

http://www.sponsorenergy.com/great-rates/

apparently you can cancel with 10 days notice with no penalty and they claim they are less expensive than traditional suppliers.... too good to be true?

www.sponsorenergy.com

Who is Sponsor Energy?

We provide power and natural gas services to homes and businesses across Canada - with a socially innovative twist. We donate 50% of our profits on each customer’s energy usage to a local charity of the customer’s choice.

jwslam
05-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Bump. Trying to figure out what I'm doing for Mid-June possession.

flipstah
05-30-2014, 01:15 PM
I just signed up with Enmax because it's easier. You can sign up for Bullfrog Power but their process is silly.

They're just adding their 'green' power to the national grid and not directly to your home.

suntan
05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
I just signed up with Enmax because it's easier. You can sign up for Bullfrog Power but their process is silly.

They're just adding their 'green' power to the national grid and not directly to your home. I explained this someone over at CalPuck. Fungible was a new word for him. I still don't think he believes me.

mazdavirgin
05-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

They're just adding their 'green' power to the national grid and not directly to your home.

But that's what they do with all the 'green' power programs... Otherwise you would have to run a different independent power grid just for the 'green' power. A charged electron is an electron is an electron doesn't matter if it came from coal, nuclear, or solar.

flipstah
05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I explained this someone over at CalPuck. Fungible was a new word for him. I still don't think he believes me.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

But that's what they do with all the 'green' power programs... Otherwise you would have to run a different independent power grid just for the 'green' power. A charged electron is an electron is an electron doesn't matter if it came from coal, nuclear, or solar.

I know but the way they market it makes you assume otherwise. If you don't read the fine print, then you'd naively think your power is 'green' when in reality, you really don't know.

I don't even save money so fuck that shit. :rofl:

pheoxs
05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I signed up with E.NRG for power, there's no contract and its fixed at 6.9cents / KWH and Enmax for gas (floating).

I take possession June 30th so we'll see how it goes.

bjstare
06-03-2014, 11:55 AM
I signed up with Easymax. Can change between fixed/floating gas and electricity every month if you want, no contract. All in all, it's good I think. Everything on one bill, and I hate being in contracts for anything really.