PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy slim fitting office clothes

thrasher22
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
On Monday I'll be starting the first job I've ever had where I can't wear jeans and a t-shirt every day, and thus know almost nothing about dressing like an adult :rofl:

Whenever I've gone shopping for dress clothes in the past, I've found that stores assume the taller you are, the heavier you are. As a result all my clothes fit fairly poorly, as I'm 6 foot and 150lbs.

Anyone have any suggestions where to start? I don't mind spending a bit more, but $300 Holt Renfrew shirts are out of the budget...

89coupe
06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
The Bay

They have a line called Strellson I believe that is very slim fitting.

You can also have things tailored its not expensive.

GS430
06-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Calvin Klein slim fitting dress shirts are decent, mexx slim shirts fit well too.

As 89coupe mentioned, a tailor can be your best friend.

A790
06-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Moores has both modern fit and slim fit shirts.

quick_scar
06-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Marks has slim fit as well. I think they also have "tall" versions with longer sleeves, but still slim fit. Worth a quick look.

jkupper
06-20-2013, 01:12 PM
H&M has lots of slim fitting office clothes.

98brg2d
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Express has "extra slim fit" shirts. Not sure how slim they are compared to other brands but I am happy with the fit (6'2", 42" chest, 33" waist). Only shirts I have that don't need to be taken in in the back to slim them down.

A790
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar
Marks has slim fit as well. I think they also have "tall" versions with longer sleeves, but still slim fit. Worth a quick look.
I shop at Marks quite a bit. Their clothing fits me pretty well (broad shoulders/chest, smaller waist). Their slim fit stuff is a bit tight in the arms, but I don't think most people have that problem.

duaner
06-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Not that I have to dress up for the office but I've had some luck at Banana Republic with form fitting shirts.

My main problem is jackets. It takes forever to find ones that don't wing out the back.

thrasher22
06-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar

Tall fit? That's perfect, I have really long arms.

Thanks for all the tips!

reeskm
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Eat more burgers. Quick!

j/k! You'll eventually not have this problem in your 30's :D

I was pretty skinny in my early 20's. Value Village FTW! More budget room for race car parts.

Plus, that stuff's already pre-shrunk so if it fits, you're golden.

bleu
06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
You are similar to my husband, he is 6'1, 170 and finds his work shirts at Le Chateau for men, Express, some random European brands (HR) and Banana Republic. He usually takes a L-XL.

jaylo
06-20-2013, 05:53 PM
I stayed away years ago from Le Chateau and Mexx because of the quality of their clothing.

Every now and then, the Bay has a sale 30% off on Kenneth Cole and Perry Ellis.

You can also score some nice dress shirts at Winners they have a wide range of slim fitting Calvin Klein's Kenneth Cole, etc...

rinny
06-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Banana Republic Factory in Deerfoot Meadows! Generally cut for the slimmer guys! Decently cheap if you sign up for deals and discounts and wait for their store to be on sale- which it is all the time.

OmgSC400
06-21-2013, 10:23 AM
You can try club monaco shirting as well.

FixedGear
06-21-2013, 04:22 PM
I know exactly how you feel OP. Most men's shirts are about 3 times as wide as they need to be. You can find shirts that actually fit at Banana Republic and Club Monaco. Zara also has some stuff but it can be kinda clubby. Someone else mentioned Mexx, but I've always thought their stuff was totally gross and too clubby also. :dunno:

Also, they key to having shirts that fit really well is to buy them fitted in the store, and then AIR DRY - DO NOT put in an dryer because they'll shrink. Can't tell you how many times I've had shirts ruined this way!

thrasher22
06-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I found everything at Mexx was too short for me, which was too bad as the whole store was 50% off.

Thanks for all the tips, I was able to pick up everything I needed at the recommenced stores! Found shirts at Express and H&M and found a nice fitted suit at Le Chateau for a good price. I also found some nice stuff at the Bay (all on 40% off too), if anyone else is looking.

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
I know exactly how you feel OP. Most men's shirts are about 3 times as wide as they need to be.

I'd be more inclined to say that in this age of little vegan hipster faggots, most "men" are 1/3 as wide as they need to be! :nut:

Edit:

Seems you found what you need OP but as said here, I've always found good choices at both Mexx and The Bay. :thumbsup:

pf0sh0
06-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rinny
Banana Republic Factory in Deerfoot Meadows! Generally cut for the slimmer guys! Decently cheap if you sign up for deals and discounts and wait for their store to be on sale- which it is all the time.

I always go here. pretty cheap!! and half decent

CaptainReboot
06-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Slim fit non iron from Banana republic.

I usually wait for their sale codes for 30% or 40% percent off and buy shirts already on sale.

Mitsu3000gt
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Custom is the ONLY way you will find properly fitted mens dress clothes, especially shirts. I have tried everything including all the "slim" or "extra slim" cuts of normal brands at the Bay, Banana, Brooks Brothers, O'Connors, etc., and they are all parachutes compared to a custom shirt. I am not skinny either. A big problem is most off the rack shirts are sized by the neck, so if you find something that comes close to fitting, it will be way too small to do up the top button. YMMV but I will never buy an off the rack shirt ever again.

If you're tall any skinny, which it sounds like you are, I doubt you'll find anything outside of custom that looks good. Price is the same anyway.

CivicTunr
06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Simon carter at tiptop fit good,
Also you can buy shirts and get darts in the back. (Slimmed down) that is what I do.
As I have a 16.5 neck and about a large body. And it's to baggy for me, it's usually $10

got_mike33
06-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Zara is the place to go. They have super slim fit shirts that fit me really well (6'0" 135 lbs). Also their suits fit me right off the rack which is a miracle...

tenth
06-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
Slim fit non iron from Banana republic.

I usually wait for their sale codes for 30% or 40% percent off and buy shirts already on sale.
x2. I'm not tiny (6 feet and 185 lbs), but I run their tailored slim non-iron shirts and pants. They fit great.

ffmf
06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Not sure if this is against the rules, if so please delete.

For those looking at online custom shirts and are NEW customers of modern tailor here is a code for $20 off an order. Please note that I get some coupons for each new order.

http://moderntailor.refr.cc/ZSV9QPC

I order from these guys a few times a year. New customers should try and order one test shirt first by measuring a shirt that fits perfectly. Then you can dial in the measurements and use those measurements to order quickly. My last order was on June 11 and I picked it up today from the post office.

For weird sizes, custom is the best way to go since you don't have to get off the rack shirts tailored, and the difference in cost isn't much after including tailoring costs.