PDA

View Full Version : Tesla Model S Battery Swap

schocker
06-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Thought this was pretty cool. Unveiled last night, allows people to swap their batteries out at the Tesla charging stations if you don't want to wait for the supercharger. I believe it is automated at least for the removal installation part. Takes like 90s then you can pay the difference in battery depending on the condition of yours or pay a fee and come pickup your old battery on your way back.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/21/tesla-motors-battery-swaps-faster-than-gas/

Xtrema
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
At 10gallon/minute, most cars would be done in under 2 minute. Instead, they use a bone dry 23 gallon tank of a A8 in which they have fill 22.x gallons.

Still, it's impressive tech. 1) it ain't free. 2) still not quite sure how I like getting a new battery which I have no say in its condition.

supe
06-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
At 10gallon/minute, most cars would be done in under 2 minute. Instead, they use a bone dry 23 gallon tank of a A8 in which they have fill 22.x gallons.

Still, it's impressive tech. 1) it ain't free. 2) still not quite sure how I like getting a new battery which I have no say in its condition.

Are you really complaining about the fact its not free? You got high demands.

And to your point 2, at the extreme end, couldn't you say the same thing about the condition of the gas going into your car?

Tesla is a super advanced technology company, I have confidence they will have all the proper checks and balances in place.

CanmoreOrLess
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Tesla, the smartest niche car maker out there today. Love this company.

Xtrema
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by supe

Are you really complaining about the fact its not free? You got high demands.

And to your point 2, at the extreme end, couldn't you say the same thing about the condition of the gas going into your car?

I'm saying it ain't free vs SuperCharger. But it does buy you 29mins which is worth something to someone and it's a right step forward.

Like I said in the other thread, I just hate the to swap something that I owned. What if I got swapped with a battery that has high mileage on it and hold less charge than the one I owned?

Battery warranty only cover failures, no capacity reductions.

Sure I may get bad gas. But I ain't trading my 65L tank with a random size every time I fill up.

flipstah
06-21-2013, 11:46 AM
You can get your old one back if you're that attached to it for a transport fee.

I love Tesla's way of doing things electric. It'll take a while to get mainstream but I'm excited!