PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Airport vehicle thefts

G-ZUS
06-21-2013, 09:22 AM
More than 45 criminal charges have been laid against a group of teens accused of running car theft ring targeting the long-stay airport parkade.

Since October, the six male teens, ranging in age from 15 to 17, have stolen more than 20 vehicles from the lot, say cops.

The vehicles included a wide variety of makes, models and value -- at least some of them considered quite high-end.

"A number of these thefts occurred where doors were left unlocked in vehicles or the vehicles were smashed into ... but the offenders had access to a key which was left inside the vehicle," said Insp. Mike Bossley with the police youth services unit.

The same teens, who police say were associates working together, are also believed to be responsible for dozens of car prowlings at the airport.

Some of the teens were known to police previously, said Bossley.

The stolen vehicles appear to have just been used for joyriding,

They were recovered, some with minor damage, said Bossley.

The suspects ended up stealing the wrong cars, which helped police nab them.

"We did use bait vehicles in relation to this investigation and we did have some of our bait vehicles compromised," said Bossley.

Jody Moseley with the Calgary Airport Authority assured drivers the parkade is a safe place to leaves a vehicle, saying there are several layers of security in place.

"We have individuals monitoring the parkades 24 hours a day, making note of licence plates and making note of any vehicles that appear to have been in a location for an extended period of time," she said.

"We take this very seriously and our first response is to work with Calgary city police ... making sure this doesn't occur again and working together ... to apprehend the individuals that were involved."

She said the airport does have surveillance cameras on site, but wouldn't say specifically where they are located.

Moseley said the airport is considering ramping up signage already in place reminding drivers to secure their vehicles before leaving the parkade.

Both police and airport officials are urging drivers to take extra care in doing so, reducing the risk their vehicles will be targeted.

Lock your car, roll up the windows don't leave keys or valuables inside and remove garage door openers, as they can compromise the security of your home if they fall into the wrong hands, said Bossley.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/19/six-youths-charged-after-more-than-20-vehicle-thefts-dozens-of-break-ins-at-calgary-international-airport

Xtrema
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
cab rides > park and fly.

There lots are worse than CT park & ride lots.

Disoblige
06-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I'd never use Park and Fly. It's basically telling everyone "HEY GUYS I'M NOT IN CALGARY, BUT THIS IS MY CAR! ENJOY!"

J-D
06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
cab rides > park and fly.

There lots are worse than CT park & ride lots.

I park there all the time, never had a problem. The only downside is no booze on the flight(s) home! :D

FiveFreshFish
06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
These thefts happened in the airport parkade, not the park and fly lots.

Idiot Stick
06-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by J-D

I park there all the time, never had a problem. The only downside is no booze on the flight(s) home! :D

This is precisely the reason why I don't park at the airport anymore, cab there cab back...drinks at the connecting flights!

CanmoreOrLess
06-21-2013, 07:12 PM
"A number of these thefts occurred where doors were left unlocked in vehicles or the vehicles were smashed into ... but the offenders had access to a key which was left inside the vehicle," said Insp. Mike Bossley with the police youth services unit."

Who leaves a key inside the vehicle? These kids doing the joy rides are idiots but the owners of said cars are not far behind them.

rage2
06-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Who leaves a key inside the vehicle? These kids doing the joy rides are idiots but the owners of said cars are not far behind them.
Security doesn't allow smart keys through the airport because it can be a weapon lol. I always check in my keys. So I can see why people would do that if they have no checked luggage.

bignerd
06-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Park and Fly is across from the airport and is fenced with an attendant at the gate right?

Long term stay parking at airport is just the parkade right? Pull right for short term parking or go left for long term?

Cooked Rice
06-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Yes both Park & Jet and Park 2 Go are fenced and staffed 24-7. I've never had an issue with them. There is a lot more surveillance at the airport lots though.

spikerS
06-26-2013, 07:01 AM
best way to get a payout on your vehicle is to park it at the airport with the keys in it.

Pretty much a guarantee that it will get stolen, you can make a claim, and get paid out.

kenny
12-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Bump.

Couple parked their car at Park and Jet and come home after a weekend to find vehicle broken into. Went home via cab and found home was also broken into. If you're going to use these lots, don't leave your garage door opener, registration and insurance paperwork in your vehicle.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/couples-car-and-home-broken-into-after-leaving-vehicle-at-parking-lot-near-airport

spike98
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Security doesn't allow smart keys through the airport because it can be a weapon lol. I always check in my keys. So I can see why people would do that if they have no checked luggage.

I've never had any problem with my Dodge PTS keys? :dunno:

roopi
12-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Inside, a large mess awaited the couple. Walls were dented, the stereo was tossed onto the floor and drawers were pulled out in their bedroom. A TV, a computer with some of Lee’s work, winter coats, sports bags, liquor bottles, laundry detergent, loudspeakers and a jewelry box containing irreplaceable souvenirs had gone missing.

Laundry detergent? :rofl: Crackheads

rage2
12-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I've never had any problem with my Dodge PTS keys? :dunno:
That's been changed since the backlash last year, when I made that post.

killramos
12-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Whats the story behind this? What are "smart keys"?

Like keyless-go or comfort access?

:dunno:

killramos
12-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Bump.

Couple parked their car at Park and Jet and come home after a weekend to find vehicle broken into. Went home via cab and found home was also broken into. If you're going to use these lots, don't leave your garage door opener, registration and insurance paperwork in your vehicle.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/couples-car-and-home-broken-into-after-leaving-vehicle-at-parking-lot-near-airport

Honestly who doesn't leave their registration and insurance in the vehicle :dunno:

Do some people reach into their glove box and take it with them everywhere they go?

I was reading something about this a few weeks ago and i never understood it. Like when people dont program their home into GPS because of paranoia?

Tik-Tok
12-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Like when people dont program their home into GPS because of paranoia?

Me, lol. I have the District 6 police station address as "home" in my navi :rofl: , It's not like I need directions to all the way home, usually just to get me out of whatever weird suburb I'm visiting, I usually shut it off as soon as I get a a major road anyways.

I also take my registration and garage remote too, if I'm leaving my car at the airport, and leave the glovebox, center console, etc. open.

spikerS
12-11-2014, 03:27 PM

Honestly who doesn't leave their registration and insurance in the vehicle :dunno:

Do some people reach into their glove box and take it with them everywhere they go?

I was reading something about this a few weeks ago and i never understood it. Like when people dont program their home into GPS because of paranoia?

I used to leave my paperwork at home on the advice of an officer, until one day I got pulled over and got a ticket for not having them, so, now, I leave them in the truck, but I am not supposed to do that either.

Seriously, why the fuck can't the cops just do a quick check on the computers for registration and insurance on their computer at the same time they run your licence?

killramos
12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Me, lol. I have the District 6 police station address as "home" in my navi :rofl: , It's not like I need directions to all the way home, usually just to get me out of whatever weird suburb I'm visiting, I usually shut it off as soon as I get a a major road anyways.

I also take my registration and garage remote too, if I'm leaving my car at the airport, and leave the glovebox, center console, etc. open.

Lol that wouldn't work well for me with homelink :P

Honestly though with modern chipped keys how many get stolen who aren't imbeciles who leave their keys in the car?

People like to quote those crazy targeted thefts by guys with laptops and sensor rigs in the back of a pickup truck.

If they want my car that bad they can take it. I have new vehicle replacement coverage so worst case is i lose my floor mats.

Best case the GPS tracker in my car gets the idiots arrested.

killramos
12-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I used to leave my paperwork at home on the advice of an officer, until one day I got pulled over and got a ticket for not having them, so, now, I leave them in the truck, but I am not supposed to do that either.

Seriously, why the fuck can't the cops just do a quick check on the computers for registration and insurance on their computer at the same time they run your licence?

Agreed its a ticket based on 70's technology logic. Now a days they know if my car is registered before they open their door.

benyl
12-11-2014, 03:42 PM
There are some states where you can get an electronic version of your insurance papers on your smart phone. They are even looking at doing licenses.

I doubt alberta will adopt this in the next 15 years...

spike98
12-11-2014, 03:53 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Mibz
12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I feel safer in the Airport lot than Park and Jet or Park2Fly or whatever those lots across Airport Dr are.

Don't want your shit broken into? Don't leave valuables visible and sure as shit don't leave your key in there.

Strider
12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Applies more to people with attached garages. Having access to the garage = access to the home. Registration / insurance slip in the car tells them exactly where to go.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I do the same, except it's a nearby intersection. I like the police station idea, might have to do that.

Lol that wouldn't work well for me with homelink :P

There should be a lock button on most garage door openers that you can set while on vacation so that it doesn't respond to the remote.

That helps while on a trip, but if someone steals a car from a park and ride on a work day... then the homeowner is hooped.

beyond_ban
12-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl
There are some states where you can get an electronic version of your insurance papers on your smart phone. They are even looking at doing licenses.

I have my pink slips accessible on my iPhone through an email from my insurance broker. The last time i got pulled over, i simply showed the officer my proof of insurance on my phone as i did not have a physical copy. The officer simply looked at my phone and handed it back to me before going to his cruiser to look into my license and registration.

I could be wrong on this, but i thought that law enforcement in Alberta have no ability to look into your insurance beyond the piece of paper you show them. For example, if i cancelled my insurance but i still had valid pink slips, they would not be able to figure out that i wasn't actually insured.

Cos
12-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Mys73ri0
12-12-2014, 11:21 PM
why don't people keep their insurance and registration in their wallets? and no i don't lend my vehicle to other people...

Or do all beyond ballers have too many cars they wouldn't be able to fit them all in their wallets?

Tik-Tok
12-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
why don't people keep their insurance and registration in their wallets? and no i don't lend my vehicle to other people...

Or do all beyond ballers have too many cars they wouldn't be able to fit them all in their wallets?

Or maybe Beyonder's have wives and girlfriends that drive the same cars? Aren't allowed a copy registration.

(But yes, we also have 4 vehicles :rofl: )

Black Gts
12-13-2014, 08:14 AM
I used to leave a key in my car so I could lock the door and let it warm up, not the brightest idea but based on past experience I'd do it again. Lol

Xtrema
12-13-2014, 09:17 AM

I don't. Never have since I my 1st car.

Key goes with registration and grab both and go. Never leave personal info in cars ever.

If you don't have homelink, make sure your garage opener is hidden.

Xtrema
12-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by benyl

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/387997/police-dont-need-warrants-to-search-cell-phones/

unlock, hand over phone to cops, cops can now legally look at everything on your phone besides insurance proof. :rofl:

Masked Bandit
12-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I could be wrong on this, but i thought that law enforcement in Alberta have no ability to look into your insurance beyond the piece of paper you show them. For example, if i cancelled my insurance but i still had valid pink slips, they would not be able to figure out that i wasn't actually insured.

Correct. There is no way for police to tell if your insurance is actually in force or not. They have to rely on that slip of papers. However I know some registry offices will accept pink slip images (PDF) on phones so it wouldn't be a stretch for LEOs to do the same. I don't know for sure though.

Mixalot27
12-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Correct. There is no way for police to tell if your insurance is actually in force or not. They have to rely on that slip of papers. However I know some registry offices will accept pink slip images (PDF) on phones so it wouldn't be a stretch for LEOs to do the same. I don't know for sure though.

Which is a ridiculous loophole that allows many uninsured drivers to be on the road. I personally know of several people who drive uninsured due to high premiums due to DUI's, multiple accidents, license suspensions, etc. All they do is sign up for a yearly insurance policy, then cancel it as soon as possible. Then they have an insurance slip to show the police for the entire year even though they have no valid insurance. :banghead:

bignerd
12-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0

Own multiple cars with multiple drivers. I keep my insurance papers for each vehicle in my wallet but not the registration, it is too easy to forget to bring it back into the house or take a different car and leave the registration at home.

The only time I have ever had a car stolen, they took our garage door opener (among other things). We were stranded without a car, called a friend to go sit at our house until we could get back home to change the garage door code. Really creeped me out they took that. Agreed, it is BS that it is a ticketable offense for not carrying your registration when like someone said, they know as soon as they run your plate.