PDA

View Full Version : Flood Car Rules

Alpine Autowerks
06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
From Alberta Transportation

If a car has been under water to any of the points below....it can never be registered again.

• A flood vehicle is defined in Canada as a vehicle that has been immersed in a liquid to the bottom of the dashboard or to a level affecting any of the major electronic components, and/or a vehicle contaminated with toxic fluid that renders the vehicle unsafe due to toxic hazard.
• Major electrical components are defined as:
o A fuse panel or breaker panel.
o A component that monitors, triggers, or controls any component of the vehicle’s occupant restraint systems.
o An electronic component that transmits or relays power for use in the vehicle’s defogging or defrosting systems.
o An electronic component or module that controls the vehicle’s primary operating systems.
o A main wiring harness with unsealed connections that is located in the occupant compartment.
o An electronic module that controls the vehicle’s on board self-diagnostic system, excluding communications, navigational and entertainment systems.
o An electronic module that controls the vehicle’s braking, acceleration, steering or any other systems affecting the drivability or safe operation of the vehicle.
• The bottom of the dash is defined as the area where the floor meets the firewall.
• Alberta’s Vehicle Inspection Regulation requires all motor vehicles that have been submerged in water to a level at or above the bottom of the dash be assigned a status of non-repairable.
• The branding of flood vehicles as non-repairable is consistent with all other Canadian jurisdictions.

• Electronic components responsible for airbag deployment, antilock brake operation, and stability control are sensitive to moisture intrusion.

• Supplemental restraint systems (airbags) in a flood vehicle are unstable and not reliable. An airbag may not deploy when intentionally triggered by a control module or may deploy unintentionally and unexpectedly.

• Risk of respiratory infection exists with vehicles that have been flooded. Air conditioning systems, seats, carpet, and headliners are areas where mold will grow. In addition to the health risks, control modules provide mold with a near perfect environment to thrive resulting in unstable electronic systems.

• Replacing all major electrical components and wiring harnesses in an effort to have a non-repairable status changed will not be considered.

Beware - scammers will try to resell car that have been submerged.

M.alex
06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm willing to buy flooded lamborghini Diablos and Murcialagos..... $2500. LMK ... and no POS gallardos, thx.

FraserB
06-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Hopefully SDS has cash on hand to stock up on cars to add to their inventory.

ercchry
06-25-2013, 04:12 PM
...auto mall got flooded... badlands got approved... wonder if i can pickup a cheap track car. distinctive collection had a nice DBS for sale...

bourge73
06-25-2013, 04:18 PM
SDS and Auto Maxxxxxxxxx drove all their cars to the flood
Zones for a double win. Sink em , get the insurance ,
And re sell them pure profit!

HomespunLobster
06-25-2013, 06:30 PM
What about something like a classic car? Would it be able to be restored?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-25-2013, 06:33 PM
AFAIK any car that has a claim for water damage is branded as PARTS ONLY which will never be registerable in Alberta, so no even a classic car will not be salvageable.

962 kid
06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
The terminology for North America has been standardized to avoid terminology variations allowing non-repairable cars getting registered in another jurisdiction.

Salvage
A motor vehicle that can be rebuilt. A salvage vehicle inspection must be completed prior to registration.

Rebuilt
A salvage vehicle that has been repaired (replaces the previous term "repaired"). This status remains with the vehicle for the life of the vehicle.

Non-repairable
A motor vehicle damaged to the extent that it is non-repairable and cannot be registered (replaces the previous term "salvage"). These vehicles can be sold for scrap and dismantled for parts only.

classic cars do not have special status, but any car worth more than 1/2 million car be rebuilt regardless of the damage.

sillysod
06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

classic cars do not have special status, but any car worth more than 1/2 million car be rebuilt regardless of the damage.

If it's something insurance can replace the owner would likely claim it and the vehicle would be written off.

I know a lot of "classics" thought that get completely destroyed racing in vintage races etc mostly get rebuilt. Nothing gets claimed so nothing shows up on the registration. Everybody knows what happened but it isn't on the paperwork.

ercchry
06-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

If it's something insurance can replace the owner would likely claim it and the vehicle would be written off.

I know a lot of "classics" thought that get completely destroyed racing in vintage races etc mostly get rebuilt. Nothing gets claimed so nothing shows up on the registration. Everybody knows what happened but it isn't on the paperwork.

written off /= non repairable... they would just go salvage status

the racing thing could be said about any car... since racing isnt covered in any policy!

m10-power
06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
...auto mall got flooded... badlands got approved... wonder if i can pickup a cheap track car. distinctive collection had a nice DBS for sale...

This is a pretty good idea, likely be able to talk to an insurance company regarding buying something for race use only. Probably going to have shit tons of stock to unload...

corsvette
06-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I heard a rumor that all the new cars damaged will be sent back to the Manufacturer (ford anyway)

I shutter to think of all these scammy types snapping up flood cars, drying them out and reselling. remember, if one didn't have comp insurance flood will not be covered and sure enough they will likely wind up for sale.

I noticed many ad's on Kijiji for guys wanting to buy flood cars!

spikerS
06-26-2013, 07:04 PM
i put an ad up on kijiji looking for tow mirrors off a Ford f-150 that would be flood damaged. the mirrors are sealed units, so I am not worried about water.

drtoohotty1
06-26-2013, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
I noticed many ad's on Kijiji for guys wanting to buy flood cars!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-WANTED-FLOOD-DAMAGED-VEHICLES-W0QQAdIdZ498405009