PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Premier Help

Ekliptix
02-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm a noob at this.

I'm done using Windows Movie Maker and I'm trying to capture something off the camera using the Premier 6.

The problem is that I can't see any way of capturing method on the screen.

Adobe's help site says I'm supposed to see a "Movie Capture window" but I can't find this anywhere.

Are there certain settings I'm supposed to change from the time that I open the program?

Please help.

nismodrifter
02-21-2004, 06:59 PM
I could never figure out how to capture video in premier either...too confusing IMO (it's either too confusing or I was too lazy to figure it out the first time I used it :D)

here's what I do:
-plug in camera using firewire......built in microsoft video shit will automatically start and ask me what I want to do with the video
- I set the quality to DV (highest quality..) and then capture the video to a location on my HD in .avi format

then I open premiere and import that captured video file and begin editing...

hope that helps you out:)

Ekliptix
02-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Alright, but with a maximim capture size of 720 x 480 at 30fps when taking the video off the camera in the DV-AVI format that you mentioned, are you not worried about the possability to get a higher quality rip from Premier?

The only reason I didn't want to do what you do is because 1) it takes up huge HD space, and 2) i thought I could get more then 720x480 if ripping from Premier.

Thanks for the info.

Khyron
02-22-2004, 12:20 PM
File-> Capture -> Movie Capture.

However, premiere is very picky about which cameras it will import from natively. There's a list on the adobe web site somewhere.

Khyron

DJ Lazy
02-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I could never figure out how to capture video in premier either...too confusing IMO (it's either too confusing or I was too lazy to figure it out the first time I used it :D)

here's what I do:
-plug in camera using firewire......built in microsoft video shit will automatically start and ask me what I want to do with the video
- I set the quality to DV (highest quality..) and then capture the video to a location on my HD in .avi format

then I open premiere and import that captured video file and begin editing...

hope that helps you out:)

:werd:
Thats the same way I do it...

rage2
02-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
The only reason I didn't want to do what you do is because 1) it takes up huge HD space, and 2) i thought I could get more then 720x480 if ripping from Premier.
There's no reason to go beyond 720x480x30 for DV sources. DV is 480i (interlaced), and camera (average miniDV cam) has about 300 vertical lines of resolution. 720x480x30 is more than enough resolution. Actually, 720x480x30 is too much resolution (master your work onto DVD and you'll know what I mean), but it's the most efficient way because the DV data is stored at that resolution.

As for ripping, I personally use Ulead Media Studio to do my DV rips. It rips, deinterlaces, and encodes to MPEG2 in real time. Saves a lot of space.