PDA

View Full Version : Deep South - Calgary

zimba
06-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi,

We are currently living in Bridlecrest Area (of Bridlewood Community) in deep South West of Calgary.

Recently sold house and looked and looked at hundreds of existing houses around 2200 sq ft. in Cranston (ridge side), Auburn Bay, Evergreen Estates and Evercreek Bluffs mostly (as we wated to move into Estate area and then Silverado.

Long story short, it seemed that existing houses are little over priced and even after putting in sod and fence we are getting a better deal in newer homes plus we tend be be biased towards newer designs :)

Now the situation is tricky that we liked two houses one in Silverado Bank side and Cranarch Rise both are similar in size and quite a lot of upgrades. One builder is Landmark while the other is NuVista, prices are in the same range as well.

We (husband and wife) work Downtown and take CTrain from Shawnessy Station as of now while parking the car at the Park n Ride.

1) Which area would you recommend both as raising family and future price appreciation?

2) Which builder would you be more comfortable as in buying from and also from resale point of view say in 5 years?

Early responses would be appreciated as we eed to make the decision pretty quick.

Thanks a lot in advance!

JordanLotoski
06-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi

Id say Cranston/Auburn bay will be great communities to raise a family, and get future growth.

The new south campus hospital and the mass infrastructure of seton will really help bring the population out that way.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=seton+blvd+calgary&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=seton+blvd+calgary&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ei=mRHLUemcG4e5igLs7YGICQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.48340889,d.cGE&fp=10501c2facc6c98f&biw=1024&bih=672

As far as builders go, it really all depends what your looking for. I work extensivily in these 2 areas, if you have some time to chat give me a ring.

Best of luck

Mibz
06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
If you guys take the C-train every day then Silverado is superior for that reason alone. Nothing against Cranston, it's also really nice, but I wouldn't live there if I took transit every day.

roopi
06-26-2013, 10:35 AM
The Cranston/Seton area is a great area however if transit is a big concern then Silverado is the way to go. The future/proposed SE line is probably a good 10 years away. Once the 22x/Deerfoot/Ring Road is complete in the SE your commute to the Somerset C-Train should be pretty quick though so keep that in mind.

zimba
06-26-2013, 10:43 AM
I understand what Mibz is saying that at present as per google maps:

1: Current time from home to CTrain station: 11 mins (one way)

2: Silverado: Time from home to CTrain station: 7 mins (one way)

3: Cranston: Time from home to CTrain station: 16 mins (one way)

Potentially we can save 18 minutes (two way) per day if we move to Silverado as opposed to Cranston.

However; if these 18 minutes/Per Day provide us any foreseeable benefits over Silverado then we are ready to take that plunge as well.

Both houses have small parks near them; tbh Cranston one has more curb appeal for being in estate area though less developed as of now whereas Silverado one is in more established area where some houses are as old as 2009.

So what I am understanding JordanLotoski is that both Landmark and NuVista are equally good home builders for some reason I thought Landmark, Albi and Baywest are slightly higher regarded builders vis-a-vis quality and resale value, but I might be totally off.

zimba
06-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by roopi
The Cranston/Seton area is a great area however if transit is a big concern then Silverado is the way to go. The future/proposed SE line is probably a good 10 years away. Once the 22x/Deerfoot/Ring Road is complete in the SE your commute to the Somerset C-Train should be pretty quick though so keep that in mind.

Thanks roopi, do you have any idea when is that 22x/Deerfoot/Ring Road will be completed as in realistic time frame not the one that officials give :)

Mibz
06-26-2013, 11:16 AM
They're saying Nov. 2013 for the overpasses. I imagine they'll be 6 months late, but they're largely irrelevant. The big bottleneck is the 22X bridge over MacLeod Tr where it goes down to 1 lane. I'm sure they have a plan for replacing it, but we haven't heard anything about it and I'm sure it'll take at least a year and cause even more traffic problems while under construction.

Your other option is turning from 22X to NB MacLeod Tr then WB on 162nd Ave. From there you can either turn left at Shawville Way, but that light gets ridiculously screwed up by the train crossing, or Shawville Blvd to get to the train station. I have no idea if it's any faster, but it's an option.

zimba
06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
They're saying Nov. 2013 for the overpasses. I imagine they'll be 6 months late, but they're largely irrelevant. The big bottleneck is the 22X bridge over MacLeod Tr where it goes down to 1 lane. I'm sure they have a plan for replacing it, but we haven't heard anything about it and I'm sure it'll take at least a year and cause even more traffic problems while under construction.

Your other option is turning from 22X to NB MacLeod Tr then WB on 162nd Ave. From there you can either turn left at Shawville Way, but that light gets ridiculously screwed up by the train crossing, or Shawville Blvd to get to the train station. I have no idea if it's any faster, but it's an option.

Thanks Mibz.

We have a reserved parking spot at Shawnessy CTrain station and for now; either Cranston or Silverado (whatever we decide based on plus and minus you guys are advising) we are tempted to keep that reserved spot with us.

xnvy
06-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Cranston is pretty good for raising a family but as mentioned, the downside is the closest C-Train station is not really within walking distance but buses do run there.

I often find that the quickest way to the C-Train station from Cranston during Rush Hour is to take Sun Valley Blvd. from 22x and avoid the long lineup over Macleod that Mibz mentioned.

I don't know if Greenboro still builds in Cranston but they built our home in ~2007 and we didn't have any major headaches or anything. Whatever small issues there were, were taken of very quickly. :thumbsup:

zimba
06-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Cranston is pretty good for raising a family but as mentioned, the downside is the closest C-Train station is not really within walking distance but buses do run there.

I often find that the quickest way to the C-Train station from Cranston during Rush Hour is to take Sun Valley Blvd. from 22x and avoid the long lineup over Macleod that Mibz mentioned.

I don't know if Greenboro still builds in Cranston but they built our home in ~2007 and we didn't have any major headaches or anything. Whatever small issues there were, were taken of very quickly. :thumbsup:

Thanks xnvy

I was looking at the same route but that adds another two minutes but in rush hour it makes sense.

Do you know with your experience how will it be at 8:00am (leaving Cranarch Common) and returning 5:00pm from Shawnessy Station.

I am leaning towards going to Shawnessy CTrain station as opposed to Somerset-Bridlewood one if we chose Cranston over Silverado.

Cranston is more attractive due to nicer Community Centre and more activities for kids within walking distance. In addition to I am hoping to add more value once South Health Campus starts operating full swing. though we will not sell the house but it's nice to be in an house whose value is rising (psychological satisfaction.....I guess)