PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended techniques or cleaners for years of caked on grease?

Graham_A_M
06-26-2013, 06:13 PM
So, this is what I need to clean.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/null_zps0d250d10.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Graham_A_M/media/null_zps0d250d10.jpg.html)

^ Yes, I know I need a new head gasket. Ive never cleaned off such caked on filth before, ever. Any tips or tricks for cleaning this quickly? Im just posting this since (much like you guys) I sure as fuck dont want to be sitting there with a value pack of 100 toothbrushes scrubbing away for the next 262 hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton....

Kloubek
06-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Took shit like that off an engine block with Castrol Super clean before....

bourge73
06-26-2013, 06:31 PM
I've had good luck with goo gone from crappy tire
Or maybe just engine degreaser/ brake cleaner ?

Graham_A_M
06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
^ sweet, did it all just peel off with the pressure washer? The reason I ask is, those cooling fins are a bitch to clean normally. Asides from using 8317 q tips, I don't know how else to get the gunk out of there.

lamp_shade_2000
06-26-2013, 06:39 PM
spray heavily with engine degreaser, let sit, pressure washer, repeat. My dad rebuilds antique tractors on the side (why? i dont know) and thats taken decades of crap off.

Offroad
06-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Second vote on Castrol Super Clean.....try not to breathe it in or get it on your hands. But it loves grease and dirt.

Maxx Mazda
06-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Best method I've found bar none, spray bottle of Varsol, let sit. Then spray with simple green (100%) The SG dissolves the Varsol so that it will mix with water. Then pressure wash. Squeaky clean!

corsvette
06-26-2013, 11:57 PM
With years experience with cleaning greasy machines I find the best is oven cleaner. Get the fast acting stuff for non self cleaners, spray on let sit 10 min or so grease ear glovs

It's mean shit tho, wear gloves. I've also never had it hurt paint/wires/or hoses.

RickDaTuner
06-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Best method I've found bar none, spray bottle of Varsol, let sit. Then spray with simple green (100%) The SG dissolves the Varsol so that it will mix with water. Then pressure wash. Squeaky clean!

Yes,

Originally posted by corsvette
With years experience with cleaning greasy machines I find the best is oven cleaner. Get the fast acting stuff for non self cleaners, spray on let sit 10 min or so grease ear glovs

It's mean shit tho, wear gloves. I've also never had it hurt paint/wires/or hoses.

And yes, although oven cleaner stains aluminum.

My suggestion is, warm up the engine and just get a can of the gunk cleaner from Canadian tire, let it sit and spray away, if there is still some left, let it dry and repeat.

Taking some diesel in a spray bottle, and spray that on directly. works pretty awesome too, then just clean with simple green, this of course is the anti tree hugger methode of cleaning grime of an engine.

DeleriousZ
06-27-2013, 12:22 AM
If you don't much care how the finished product looks, I've had good luck with brass brushes for taking old caked on shit off of stuff quickly. The small ones you get in 3-packs at p-auto. It will scratch the surface of aluminum though. They absolutely destroy grime.

Graham_A_M
06-27-2013, 07:29 AM
^Unfortunately I really do care how it looks afterwards. I dont want to scratch the paint at all since this is the engine of a vintage dirtbike Im trying to restore.

Okay thanks a ton for the responses, I think I know exactly what I'll be picking up next time Im back in the 403.
:thumbsup:

MrSector9
06-27-2013, 07:46 AM
Dont need a head gasket, you only need the valve cover resealed as there is no gasket in there (been a while since I worked on one)

For sealant use threebond 1184 (or yamabond or the honda one, all the same stuff)

Set engine to TDC (verify no pressure on either rocker arm), remove cam chain tensioner, remove valve cover, clean well, clean mating surfaces with a scotchbrite pad, clean mating surfaces with brake clean, apply thin coat of sealant to both pieces with your finger tip, reassemble valve cover, reset and install cam chain tensioner, turn engine over to verify correct timing, reassemble rest of top end.... DONE :)

If the headgasket is leaking (doesnt look to be from the photo) then you just have to add a few steps to remove the cylinder head, if you did this I suggest also doing the base gasket and measuring your parts internally.

Graham_A_M
06-27-2013, 07:53 AM
^ PM me, I owe you a beer, or 6 hahaha. I figured with these super hard hitting single cyl's, the top end just blew the gasket. Cool I've never taken it apart so I wasn't too sure what needed to be done.