PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

spikerS
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Congrats to the Blackhawks for hoisting the 2013 cup. Was an awesome series to beat Boston.

So here is the official 2013 - 2014 NHL thread.

To start it off...

So, there seems to be a glut of good goaltenders this year available on the market.

Bryz has been bought out.

Lou wants desperately out of Vancouver

Sooo many UFAs

Who do you see as the top 2 available goalies, and where can they go?

flipstah
06-26-2013, 10:07 PM
The Flyers need to rebuild or else they'll be the Flames of the East.

DeleriousZ
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Can't wait to see the Torts era in Vancouver. Ditzy media combined with an angry torts.. Pure gold.

flipstah
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Can't wait to see the Torts era in Vancouver. Ditzy media combined with an angry torts.. Pure gold.

It's gonna be funny seeing the sisters get bitched at. :rofl:

D'z Nutz
06-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Torts in Vancouver is either gonna be a really good thing or a really bad thing. There will be no middle ground.

That said, I've always liked his snarkiness with the media. They really do ask a lot of stupid questions.

DeleriousZ
06-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Torts in Vancouver is either gonna be a really good thing or a really bad thing. There will be no middle ground.

That said, I've always liked his snarkiness with the media. They really do ask a lot of stupid questions.

I couldn't imagine dealing with the same 6 questions every single day for 8 months straight, I'd get pretty tired of it pretty quickly and definitely get snarky lol.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Vinny bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

LIGHTNING TO BUY OUT REMAINDER OF LECAVALIER'S CONTRACT

The Tampa Bay Lightning are parting ways with their longest-serving player, as the club will buy out the rest of Vincent Lecavalier's 11-year, $85 million contract.

"Vinny has been a significant reason for many of our past successes, including the 2004 Stanley Cup, and his contributions to the community are immeasurable," said general Steve Yzerman in a statement on Thursday. "The Lightning organization is indebted to Vinny; we thank him for all he has done here and we wish him well as he moves forward.

"After much internal deliberation, we believe this will prove to be a pivotal move for us as we strive to achieve our long term goal of competing at the highest level, year-in, year-out. The economics and structure of the CBA are necessitating this decision and we at the Lightning are excited at the newly created opportunities this presents to us.".

A compliance buyout of the the deal - paying out a total of $32.67 million - rids the Lightning of a $7.727 million salary cap hit through the 2019-20 season.

Lecavalier, 33, had 10 goals and 32 assists in 39 games last season.

He spent his entire 15-year NHL career with the Lightning, scoring 383 goals and 874 points in 1,037 regular season games and helped lead the Lightning to their first-ever Stanley Cup victory in 2004.

flipstah
06-27-2013, 09:10 AM
Man, these guys getting their contracts bought out can retire now!

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Man, these guys getting their contracts bought out can retire now!

I'm pretty sure the money would stop if they retired, just as it would even if they weren't bought out.

I'm loving all these buyouts. It's a wake up call for shitty management handing out all these long-term, expensive contracts.

Kloubek
06-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Huge buyouts. I understand there are cap issues, but man... Vinny was still producing.

Top goalies: Luongo is likely the best goalie available, but teams won't want to give up much to get him and his contract. If he does get bought out, expect huge interest.

Should Thomas wish to play this season, he would also be a very strong candidate if he doesn't get forced to play for NYI. (I believe they could force him, since he chose not to play last season)

A team might even want to take a chance on Nabokov.

There are a bunch goalies available but they are typically pretty average, or backup material.

I think at least short term that Torts will be good for Vancouver. I think the team needed a shakeup and to have a "harder" coach that forces them to play a more intense game. Whether this is beneficial in the long run, who knows.... but I for one am tired with seeing this amount of talent get ousted in the 1st round of the playoffs for two consecutive years now.

flipstah
06-27-2013, 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure the money would stop if they retired, just as it would even if they weren't bought out.

I'm loving all these buyouts. It's a wake up call for shitty management handing out all these long-term, expensive contracts.

I thought when you get 'bought out', you become a UFA so aren't you free to do whatever you want, including retirement?

Time for Contracts 101 right now! :nut:

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 10:11 AM

I thought when you get 'bought out', you become a UFA so aren't you free to do whatever you want, including retirement?

Time for Contracts 101 right now! :nut:

Yes they're UFAs but they're still getting a yearly salary from their old team. They get 2/3 what they would be making if they were still with the team, not one big lump sum. So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team).

If he retired as a TB player, he'd get $0 a year. Now that he's bought out and if he retired, what's 2/3 of $0?

flipstah
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Yes they're UFAs but they're still getting a yearly salary from their old team. They get 2/3 what they would be making if they were still with the team, not one big lump sum. So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team).

If he retired as a TB player, he'd get $0 a year. Now that he's bought out and if he retired, what's 2/3 of $0?

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Huge buyouts. I understand there are cap issues, but man... Vinny was still producing.

Yeah, he was producing but not at the numbers a guy with a $7.7M cap hit should be making. FFS, Lee Stempniak had the same number of points he did with only one less goal :rofl:

Besides, why would they need him? They got Stamkos now.

NHL.com has a buyout tracker haha
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675349&navid=DL|NHL|home

I think it's so funny how teams are using up both their buyouts now haha

DeleriousZ
06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Scott Gomez hey? That's a surprise... :nut:

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Scott Gomez hey? That's a surprise... :nut:

Where have you been for the last 6 months? Habs were gonna sit him out for a whole season until the NHLPA stepped in and complained so the NHL allowed buyouts at the start of the season. He's been with the Sharks all season. Same thing happened to Redden too.

DeleriousZ
06-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I took the year off of hockey because of the lockout.

beyond_ban
06-27-2013, 11:21 AM

Mibz
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
So in Vinny's case, he'd normally be making $10M a year if he was still with Tampa Bay but now he's "just" getting $6.7M a year from them (plus whatever they make with their new team) Apparently he gets $8M upfront in bonuses, then $24.5M over the next 14 years.

I don't know how to embed Tweets :P

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

lasimmon
06-27-2013, 11:34 AM

I don't believe that is true. Yashin is still being paid by the Islanders and he has retired from the NHL and hockey.

They are still required to pay out the contract regardless what the player does.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-buyouts-work

Says nothing about if they retire. And since Bryz is going to be paid till 2027.. You honestly think he is going to play for 14 more seasons?

D'z Nutz
06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Shit that's right. Fucking CBA's. How the hell does anyone understand this shit?!

max_boost
06-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Are we gonna see Vinny here? Please no? Thoughts? So glad we didn't land Richards. :nut:

beyond_ban
06-27-2013, 11:52 AM
We want youth ... And I doubt Lecavalier wants to spin his tires playing for a bottom dweller for the remainder of his career.

flipstah
06-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Shit that's right. Fucking CBA's. How the hell does anyone understand this shit?!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/251/903/1bf.gif

For the Flyers, they only have Mason as the starting G. Gagne is UFA. Pronger is occupying space.

I'm interested to see what they can work with. It'd be interesting to see Tim Thomas go to Philly and it's not that big of a move for him. :thumbsup:

beyond_ban
06-27-2013, 04:27 PM
The Calgary Flames just acquired F David Jones and D Shane O'Brien from the Avs in exchange for Cory Sarich and Alex Tanguay.

Jones and O'Brien are both coming off of down years, but who knows how they will respond with a change of scenery.

Kind of funny that Sakic and Roy take over command of the Avs and instantly bring back their good bud Tanguay.

roopi
06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Not sure what to think of this. I guess we'll see how Jones/O'Brien do. :dunno:

DeleriousZ
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Oh god, you guys better hope they ban o'brien from cowboys and any other seedy bar in the city... lol

lasimmon
06-27-2013, 05:09 PM

For the Flyers, they only have Mason as the starting G. Gagne is UFA. Pronger is occupying space.

I'm interested to see what they can work with. It'd be interesting to see Tim Thomas go to Philly and it's not that big of a move for him. :thumbsup:

Pronger is on the long term injury list so is not a cap hit. Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire before this season starts

beyond_ban
06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
He really is a SOB haha but from what I've seen he is a great glue guy in the locker room. Jones is talented, but Joe Sacco didn't give him much of a chance last year.

beyond_ban
06-27-2013, 05:13 PM
I highly doubt Pronger ever plays another game.

flipstah
06-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Pronger's days are over :(

sxtasy
06-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Sarich is FINALLY gone!?! Thank god. Gonna miss Tangs though

trieu
06-27-2013, 11:14 PM
The Flyers need to rebuild or else they'll be the Flames of the East.

You're kidding right? The Flyers are in a way better position than the Flames. They have Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Coutourier etc. How can you compare these 2 teams? Only similarity is both of them don't have goalies.

flipstah
06-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by trieu

You're kidding right? The Flyers are in a way better position than the Flames. They have Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Coutourier etc. How can you compare these 2 teams? Only similarity is both of them don't have goalies.

And somehow, they haven't been able to pull off a decent run since 2010.

The Flyers are expected to have a decent run with that lineup but it's not delivering. Injuries last season and shitty goaltending didn't help the cause either.

Maybe 'rebuild' was a strong word. 'Tweak' is more appropriate.

trieu
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM

And somehow, they haven't been able to pull off a decent run since 2010.

The Flyers are expected to have a decent run with that lineup but it's not delivering. Injuries last season and shitty goaltending didn't help the cause either.

Maybe 'rebuild' was a strong word. 'Tweak' is more appropriate.

Only 1 team wins the Cup, the Blackhawks were knocked out of the 1st round 2 years in a row and didnt blow up their team. You're right though, injuries and shitty goaltending is hurting them. I watch a ton of Flyers games now because I live there and they're way more entertaining to watch than the flames.

D'z Nutz
06-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Alfie's not ready to call it quits.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426509

SENATORS CAPTAIN ALFREDSSON PLANNING ANOTHER NHL SEASON

Ottawa Senators fans will be celebrating more than Canada Day this weekend, as team captain Daniel Alfredsson will be playing another season in the nation's capital.

Alfredsson's agent, J.P. Barry, confirmed the news to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger on Friday morning.

Swedish television station SVT World spoke to Alfredsson this week.

"I've never been so tired after a season earlier, even though it was so short," Alfredsson told the station. "I needed some time to think about the future, but the important thing is that the urge is there."

Alfredsson returned to Sweden with his family following their postseason exit. He met with Senators general manager Bryan Murray prior to leaving and said he would likely give him a decision on his future by Draft Day.

"I came home to Sweden on Monday and felt I can do this one more summer," he said. "I feel a little excited to get going and start exercising.

"The body has felt good lately. I missed a game this season and that was because I had a cold. In this way it has been positive, I have been freshened and it has affected my decision."

The 40-year-old, who's an unrestricted free agent, must now negotiate a new contract with Murray. If the two sides do agree on a new deal, Murray can't officially re-sign him until the free agency window opens July 5.

Alfredsson led the Senators in scoring through the playoffs with four goals and 10 points and was third during the regular season with 10 goals and 16 assists.

Kloubek
06-29-2013, 11:14 AM
According to TSN, Vancouver is now looking at possibly trading Schneider and keeping Luongo. This is something I suggested might have been a good idea a long time ago, and would have been a far better idea back then before Luongo trade coverage caused a free-for-all in the media.

spikerS
06-29-2013, 11:48 AM
with Kipper retired, I am really wondering what option the Flames are going to take.

I would support Schneider coming here, way more than I would support Luongo.

And with Luongo's contract, he is not going to be moved easily. Since both goalies are proven, I suspect the return for either goalie is going to be pretty good, but probably more for Schneider because of a contract that is MUCH easier to work with.

Monday is going to be an interesting day with some big names with contract buy outs, and with almost no one left on the Flames, and a huge amount of cap space...

I can't wait for July 1st!

flipstah
06-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by spikers
with Kipper retired, I am really wondering what option the Flames are going to take.

I would support Schneider coming here, way more than I would support Luongo.

And with Luongo's contract, he is not going to be moved easily. Since both goalies are proven, I suspect the return for either goalie is going to be pretty good, but probably more for Schneider because of a contract that is MUCH easier to work with.

Monday is going to be an interesting day with some big names with contract buy outs, and with almost no one left on the Flames, and a huge amount of cap space...

I can't wait for July 1st!

+1.Schneider to the Flames would be a good thing IMO.

JLau
06-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Calgary cannot afford to give up what canucks want...plus we have a few goalies in the system already

apparently seguin might be available.

Team_Mclaren
06-29-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd trade the entire team for Tyler Seguin

D'z Nutz
06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Too bad Feaster's a fucking idiot and he'd trade the entire team for the rights to Jagr.

Kloubek
06-29-2013, 01:05 PM

The problem is that Gillis has backed himself into a corner whereby it looks like he HAS to move Luongo. That means the few teams that might be willing to take on the contract know that he is working from a position of weakness.

Saying the Canucks might trade Schneider both alleviates that weakness (to some degree) as well as giving Vancouver another option.

I hear that Edmonton is very interested in Schneider, but I would imagine Gillis will want a real solid return if he was to trade either goalie to a division rival.

DeleriousZ
06-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Please please trade eberle for schneider lol. That kid is pure gold.

I bet since torts got in there, they're going to trade a bunch away and pick up lundquist and go after brad richards or something :P

D'z Nutz
06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Schneider to the Devils for their 9th

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426679

The Vancouver Canucks have traded goaltender Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for the 9th pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

Schneider posted a 17-9-4 record in 30 regular season games with the Canucks last season, his first in Vancouver earning the majority of the team's starts.

The Salem, Massachusetts native played parts of five seasons with the Canucks, posting a 55-26-8 record in 98 games played. During that time he has earned a .927 career save percentage and 2.20 goals-against average.

He is 1-4 in 10 career playoff games with a .922 save percentage and 2.59 goals-against average.

Schneider was originally drafted 26th overall by the Canucks at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

He has two years remaining on a three-year, $12 million deal he signed with the Canucks prior to the 2012-13 season. He is slated to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of that deal.

Team_Mclaren
06-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Lou Lamoriello at it again, Van got fucking ripped off lol

FUCK YOU VANCOUVER!!! sink lower!!!!

The_Rural_Juror
06-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Where's that Ha Ha Ha Stupid Canucks gif. :)

Kloubek
06-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Schneider to the Devils for their 9th

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426679

:thumbsdow :banghead: :cry: :thumbsdow :banghead: :cry: :banghead:

Canucks got fleeced on this. So unimpressed.

sxtasy
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Pretty crazy trade, wasn't Lou already prepared to leave? Playing backup, sold his condo? Now he's number 1 again?:nut: lol wtf

SOAB
06-30-2013, 11:24 PM
i've said it before and i'll say it again. Gillis is an idiot and should've been fired long ago.

Kloubek
07-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Pretty crazy trade, wasn't Lou already prepared to leave? Playing backup, sold his condo? Now he's number 1 again?:nut: lol wtf

Prepared, yes... because that is the way it was looking. Although I'm sure he has a bad taste in his mouth from everything (who can blame him), I don't think he *initially* wanted to leave. And his place never actually sold so he has it to move back into.

The more I think about it, the more sense this might make. Nobody wanted Luongo with his contract, so at least the Canucks get a return for Schneider. I just hope Luongo continues to play his heart out and can still be happy with the Canucks. There is also the concern that players won't trust Gillis, nor will they be willing to take discounts to sign in Vancouver after this.

Should be interesting to see how it all pans out.

D'z Nutz
07-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
Gillis is an idiot and should've been fired long ago.

No he shouldn't. :rofl:

D'z Nutz
07-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Bobrovsky signs 2 year extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426737

BLUE JACKETS SIGN BOBROVSKY TO TWO-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

The Columbus Blue Jackets have re-signed goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky to a two-year contract extension.

The deal is reportedly worth just under $6 million per season.

The deal - announced by the club on Monday - helps solidify Columbus' goaltending for the next two years. Bobrovsky enjoyed a breakout season in 2012-13, posting a 21-11-6 record with a .932 save percentage and 2.00 goals-against average en route to winning the Vezina Trophy.

DeleriousZ
07-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I think Van could (and should) have gotten more for schneids, but I think they took what they could get and have him not go to a division rival. The new CBA really boned the teams that hit up the backdiving contracts, especially those on older players that the teams realized that they might not have wanted.

With the Aquellini's unwillingness to buy out players (see Ballard on waivers today), Gillis was prettymuch hogtied by his own deals. NOBODY was ever going to take Lu with that contract, they couldn't buy him out, so they needed to move a goalie to free up a bit of cap so they could re-sign a few of their 2nd/3rd line players. The return was weak, but they finally got a deal done to end the 1/1a saga.

Granted, they should have probably talked to Lu before doing all this, as in his tweet responding to the whole thing went along the lines of "shocked to hear the news, will have to think about what's going to happen in the future" or something like that. So who knows how the coming year or two will play out, pretty sure he was all ready to move out, and not so sure how stoked he is to stick around.

Horvat is exactly the type of prospect the canucks were looking for though, gritty skilled forward, playoff performer and leader. Many people are alluding his play to Linden.

flipstah
07-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Vinny bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

Uhh...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/vincent-lecavalier-signs-five-year-deal-with-flyers/article12940462/

DeleriousZ
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Damn, talk about job security. Nothing like getting paid heaps of cash from two teams at once.

spikerS
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Damn, talk about job security. Nothing like getting paid heaps of cash from two teams at once.

I am pretty sure by signing with the Fliers, it releases the lightning from having to pay out the contract.

I am not saying I am right, this is just what makes sense to me.

colinxx235
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
^

Nope.... just massive extra cash for the player

D'z Nutz
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I am pretty sure by signing with the Fliers, it releases the lightning from having to pay out the contract.

Nope. Vinny's enjoying cheese steak sandwiches in his beach house for the next 5 years.

D'z Nutz
07-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Just finished watching the City of Glendale webcast. Looks like the Coyotes are staying in Arizona and changing their names to the Arizona Coyotes (at least for the next 5 years).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426847

GLENDALE VOTES IN FAVOUR OF KEEPING COYOTES IN PHOENIX

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Coyotes took a big step toward stability Tuesday night when the Glendale City Council ratified an arena lease agreement with a prospective owner of the franchise.

After making a few alterations, the council voted 4-3 in favour on a 15-year, US$225 million lease agreement with Renaissance Sports & Entertainment during a special session.

The vote clears the way for RSE to purchase the Coyotes from the NHL, which has been running the team the past four years.

RSE is led by Canadian businessmen George Gosbee and Anthony LeBlanc.

The decision had been in doubt as RSE and the city went through tense negotiations over the past few weeks. The Coyotes may have relocated to another municipality, potentially Quebec City, if an agreement was not reached.

RSE may have swung the vote in its favour earlier in the day when it announced a partnership with Global Spectrum, which owns the Philadelphia Flyers, to help manage Jobing.com Arena.

RSE must finalize its lease agreement with Glendale and its purchase of the team by Aug. 5.

The meeting attracted hundreds of Coyotes fans and Glendale residents, who showed their pleasure or displeasure in the chambers by putting their thumbs up and down. An overflow crowd downstairs in the employee lounge also cheered and booed at a closed-circuit monitor.

The meeting also was attended by Coyotes general manager Don Maloney and player Derek Morris, along with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who received a rare standing ovation as they entered the chambers.

RSE reached a deal to buy the Coyotes from the NHL last month and spent several weeks negotiating with Glendale for an arena lease deal, the final hurdle in its attempt to purchase the franchise.

After weeks of back and forth, RSE accepted numerous revisions to an initial draft of the lease agreement, including a $50,000 payment to the city if the Coyotes play less than 41 games, but stood firm on an out clause for the city.

The city had asked for the clause to match a provision that allows RSE to relocate the team after five years or if it accrues $50 million in losses.

Nick Wood, a lawyer representing RSE, said the out clause was out of the question, but made a concession on the deal, offering to pay the city any losses in revenue above $6 million should the team be relocated.

After a long debate, the council agreed to vote on an amended lease agreement without the clause.

The city also was concerned about a $15 million fee to manage Jobing.com Arena.

Glendale budgeted $6 million to operate the arena, but RSE projected between $8.5 and $11 million in revenue from arena naming rights, parking, rent, ticket surcharges and other streams to make up the difference.

RSE added a provision in the deal that called for it to pay the difference if revenues don't cover the $6 million the city has budgeted to run the arena.

After a council meeting that lasted about four hours, the council voted in favour of the deal despite reservations from some councilmembers.

The partnership with Global Spectrum may have been the turning point.

A subsidiary of international sports and entertainment firm Comcast-Spectator, Philadelphia-based Global Spectrum manages 113 facilities around the world, including the Wells Fargo Center, home of the Flyers. The company also operates University of Phoenix Stadium, the home of the Arizona Cardinals that's on the south end of the Westgate Entertainment District where Jobing.com Arena is located.

RSE has projected $8.5 million to $11 million in revenue to Glendale, which budgeted $6 million to manage Jobing.com Arena.

Bringing in Global Spectrum would likely increase the number of non-hockey event dates at the arena and RSE's LeBlanc called the partnership the final piece of the deal.

The NHL has operated the Coyotes since former owner Jerry Moyes took the team into bankruptcy in 2009.

After numerous suitors came forward and fell back through the years, the franchise is finally headed toward a stable future.

Mibz
07-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Buddy who watched it said they were cutting funds to emergency services to help with this. Did you catch that?

D'z Nutz
07-03-2013, 08:34 AM
No, I missed that part.

flipstah
07-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Buddy who watched it said they were cutting funds to emergency services to help with this. Did you catch that?

Oh shit. Can someone verify that? If that's true, say goodbye to the Arizona Coyotes.

Mibz
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to find somebody to verify because I don't want to sit through the whole thing myself but it looks like I might have to :P

D'z Nutz
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Oh shit. Can someone verify that? If that's true, say goodbye to the Arizona Coyotes.

Uh... Did you read the article? City council voted in favour of keeping the team. I don't think that's an issue.

Yeah, I'm trying to find somebody to verify because I don't want to sit through the whole thing myself but it looks like I might have to :P

Well, you can skip like the 60-90 minutes leading up to the voting when they open up the floor to the citizens. That's what I did haha

flipstah
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Uh... Did you read the article? City council voted in favour of keeping the team. I don't think that's an issue.

What about public backlash if cutting emergency services for a hockey team is true? Don't think it was THAT big of a cut but don't know the whole issue.

I have no problems with it but I don't live in Arizona.

D'z Nutz
07-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Holy shit, Seguin to Dallas!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426938

BRUINS TRADE SEGUIN, PEVERLEY TO STARS FOR ERIKSSON

The Boston Bruins and Dallas Stars have completed a blockbuster seven-player trade that will see two prominent players swap jerseys.

The Bruins traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley and Ryan Button to the Stars in exchange for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com says that Eriksson agreed to waive his no-trade clause earlier on Thursday.

Seguin has yet to begin a six-year, $34.5 million contract he signed just prior to the beginning of the lockout. The deal has an annual salary cap hit of $5.75 million and runs until the 2018-19 season.

The 21-year-old forward was selected second overall in the first round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the Bruins and spent the first three seasons of his NHL career with the team.

Seguin was the first of three players selected by the Bruins with draft picks acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs in a 2009 deal for forward Phil Kessel.

In his rookie season, Seguin had 22 points in 74 regular season games and then scored three goals and seven points in 13 playoff games as the Bruins captured the Stanley Cup in 2011.

Eriksson, 27, has three years remaining on his contract and has a cap hit of $4.25 million per year.

He played in all 48 games last season for Dallas, recording 12 goals and 17 assists. In the four seasons before the lockout, the winger recorded at least 26 goals in each campaign.

In 501 career regular season games, Eriksson has posted 150 goals and 207 assists.

Peverley, 30, had six goals and 12 assists in 47 games for the Bruins this season. The seven-year NHL veteran began his career with the Nashville Predators and played for the Atlanta Thrashers before being traded to Boston in February, 2011.

Morrow, 20, is an Edmonton native who played last season in the American Hockey League. In 66 games with Scranton Wilkes-Barre and Texas, the defenceman had five goals and 14 assists. He was Pittsburgh's first-round pick (23rd overall) in the 2011 draft, and was traded to Dallas as part of the Brenden Morrow deal on Mar. 24 this year.

Smith is a 22-year-old Toronto native who appeared in 37 games for the Stars last season. The forward had three goals and six assists and was the Stars' third-round draft choice in 2009.

Fraser, 23, hails from Red Deer, Alberta and had one goal and two assists in 12 games for Dallas last season. The forward signed as a free agent by the Stars in November, 2010.

Button, 22, is an Edmonton native who split his time last season between the ECHL and the AHL. The blueliner was Boston's third-round pick in 2009.

Mibz
07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Provided Seguin leaves whatever baggage he had behind, I'm SUPER fucking stoked for this deal. Don't get me wrong, I love Eriksson but it's clear that he's the Iginla of the Stars and I don't want him missing his chance for a Cup.

I'm very happy right now :D

DeleriousZ
07-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Provided Seguin leaves whatever baggage he had behind, I'm SUPER fucking stoked for this deal. Don't get me wrong, I love Eriksson but it's clear that he's the Iginla of the Stars and I don't want him missing his chance for a Cup.

Honestly you're the only Dallas Stars fan I think I've ever come into contact with. Do you live in Texas?

Mibz
07-04-2013, 02:49 PM
There is absolutely no reasoning behind my being a Stars fan. It happened one day. I think around '03-'04.

guessboi
07-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Damn gonna miss Seguin in Boston especially he is so young. :banghead:

Team_Mclaren
07-04-2013, 05:16 PM
I wouldve traded the whole Flames team for Seguin

DeleriousZ
07-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Ballard bought out from VAN and signs with MIN for a salary of 1.5mil AAV.

Kloubek
07-04-2013, 05:23 PM
from 4.5 to 1.5m. I have a feeling he's going to do very well for them at that price.

D'z Nutz
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM

Haha and to balance out the awesomeness of that trade, you now get Horcoff :rofl:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426972

OILERS INFORM FORWARD HORCOFF HE'S BEEN TRADED TO STARS

The Edmonton Oilers have informed forward Shawn Horcoff that he has been traded to the Dallas Stars.

Last season, Horcoff scored seven goals and five assists for 12 points in 31 games.

The 34-year-old veteran has a $5.5 million cap hit but has two years remaining at $4 million and $3 million, respectively.

Horcoff, who has a limited no-trade clause was drafted by the Oilers in the fourth round in 1998.

lasimmon
07-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Does MacTavish fly to the top of GM of the year list?

Mibz
07-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Depending on what we gave up for him, I'm still happy. We've now got a solid lineup of centers. I hate Horcoff's stupid fucking face, but as long as he's winning faceoffs I'll put up with it :P

Is this what it feels like to have a real GM?

I suppose I shouldn't be asking Flames fans.

lasimmon
07-04-2013, 10:13 PM
but as long as he's winning faceoffs I'll put up with it :P

I don't think he was even good at that!! (Oilers fan BTW)

Mibz
07-04-2013, 10:27 PM
49% last season. Better than Eakin :P

Worse than Fiddler though, hahaha.

D'z Nutz
07-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Aww fuck. The Oil got Ference.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427011

The picture he tweeted afterwards :rofl:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BObERPvCAAMiPyP.png

DeleriousZ
07-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh great, I can't wait to see his ugly face 8 times a year now :( lol

Mibz
07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Ribeiro to Coyotes :*(
He was supposed to stay in the East, fucker.

Horton signs a seven year deal with Columbus, wow.

spikerS
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Daniel Alfredsson has left the Sens to sign a one-year deal with the Red Wings.

I didn't see that coming at all. I thought for sure he would have stayed with the sens.

DeleriousZ
07-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Daniel Alfredsson has left the Sens to sign a one-year deal with the Red Wings.

I didn't see that coming at all. I thought for sure he would have stayed with the sens.

Myself as well, wonder the reasoning behind it?

anarchy
07-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Myself as well, wonder the reasoning behind it?

Makes sense to me.

One last shot at the Cup while Sens rebuild (despite success last season), and a chance to play with Sweden West (Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson, Ericsson, Kronwall)

Not to mention $5.5M.

jibber
07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Just heard Jarome signed with Boston. I also just looked up the definition of ridiculous in the dictionary.

The_Rural_Juror
07-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Call him Jarome Hossa. Bad timing, after they've lost two of their better players. Good deal for him at $6m. Still think LA is the better team for him though.

BigDannyCool
07-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Great trade for the Sens getting Bobby Ryan. Makes up for losing Alfie

D'z Nutz
07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Call him Jarome Hossa. Bad timing, after they've lost two of their better players. Good deal for him at $6m. Still think LA is the better team for him though.

Yeah, Boston looked like a much better team before.

D'z Nutz
07-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Hahahaha!! :rofl:

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/status/353295691575083008

Aaron Ward ‏@aaronward_nhl 1h

Like I said,Jarome Iginla to the Boston Bruins #TSN #ThisTimeForReal

Team_Mclaren
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Yeah, Boston looked like a much better team before.

The core is still there, but losing nathan Horton and TS hurts. but then again Loui Eriksson is a good replacement too. I think Boston has done well here.

bulaian
07-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

The core is still there, but losing nathan Horton and TS hurts. but then again Loui Eriksson is a good replacement too. I think Boston has done well here.

Exactly... they lose Horton and Seguin but they still have Lucic, Krejci, Bergeron and Rask

Plus they add Iginla and Eriksson.

JayDoggExclusiv
07-11-2013, 12:50 PM
I think Boston is a good fit for Iggy from his style of play, but I think it's too late for him to sign with them. I don't see Boston making another cup run next season. I think he should have taken a pay cut and signed with pens. Would have been nice to see him play a full season with them. But that's just my two cents I could be wrong.

Eriksson how ever will be very interesting to see play in Boston, he's a very smart hockey player and Boston is very nitty gritty so that one is gonna be a cool transition to see.

lasimmon
07-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Kovalchuck retires?!? Going back to the KHL?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

The New Jersey Devils announced on Thursday that forward Ilya Kovalchuk is retiring from the NHL.

"After many conversations with Ilya over the past year on his desire to retire from the National Hockey League, Ilya's decision became official today," said general manager Lou Lamoriello in a statement.

"On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Ilya and his family all the best in their future endeavors."

Kovalchuk played 11 seasons in the NHL, including the last four with New Jersey. He retires with career NHL totals of 417 goals and 399 assists for 816 points with 516 penalty minutes in 816 games.

He added 11 goals and 16 assists in 32 career playoff games. Kovalchuk scored 89 goals and 112 assists for 201 points in 222 games, while adding eight goals and 11 assists in 23 playoff games with the Devils. He was traded to New Jersey by Atlanta on February 4, 2010. He was Atlanta's first choice, and the first overall selection in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

He represented Russia at three Olympic Winter Games, nine World Championships, one World Junior Championship and the 2004 World Cup.

Perfect Dark
07-11-2013, 02:31 PM
That. Fucking. Sucks.

He couldn't have done it last week?

slick2404
07-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Kovi retires before Marty lol. NJ forfeited it's 2014 first round pick when they signed Kovi to that ridiculous contract, rough times ahead for Schnider and Co.

jkupper
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Haha yea it sucks for them since the pick they will have next year will most likely be a top 10.

JayDoggExclusiv
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Today's weather forcast in NJ is -17...

Benny
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
What a dick

D'z Nutz
07-11-2013, 05:07 PM
That's kind of a dick move, but the situation benefits both sides so I'm sure Lou is okay with it.