PDA

View Full Version : Sold car, private sale - Issues after the sale

simonseys
06-27-2013, 12:53 AM
I already know the answer to this, but just looking for some advice/ similar experiences..

So about a week ago, I sold a car on Kijiji to a guy in Red Deer, he emailed me saying he had cash ready and that he was wondering if I can hold it for the day so he can come take a look at it, I replied saying yes and gave him my availability for the day. Through out the conversation he mentioned paying with a personal check and instantly it was a red flag so I told the guy I am not selling it to him unless he brings cash, don't bother coming don't waste my time. He keeps emailing me saying he's serious and I keep ignoring them. I get a call later on the afternoon some another guy saying he's gonna come look at it, next thing you know its the previous guy using his friends phone.

So whatever, he's already at my house so I figured I'll show him anyway. We end up chatting about the car for almost 2 hours, including 15 minute test drive, and him and his friend thoroughly checking my car inside out. We discussed the issues with the car, and some issues he believes he found that could cost him money down the road. Long story short we agree on a sale price, he gives me the money, I sign over the registration to him and he is on his way back to Red Deer.

A week later, today, he sends me a text saying that he needs an inspection done on the car as his insurance company requires one done in order to insure the car and that he will come back to Calgary to have me get it done and only then he will consider the sale "finalized". So that's when I'm thinking to myself, OK as far as I'm concerned the sale was finalized the moment he gave me the money and drove off with the car...

I message him back telling him that I am not responsible for the inspection, especially after the sale, as that was his responsibility if he wants the car inspected before purchasing it. He then messages me back saying he realizes that but he needs me there for the inspection and that he will pay me back once everything checks out and again consider the sale finalized.

I already know that it is not my responsibility to get him an inspection, nor do I need to be there. I don't want to be a dick and just ignore him, but I also don't want him showing up at my place making a scene either.

He did not raise any issues with the condition of the car itself but he is raising issues over the fact that an inspection was not done. When I sold the car to him, he pointed out issues with the car that I didn't know about, and I wasn't too sure if he was telling the truth or just using those theories to lower the price of the car, but in any case he kept enforcing the fact that he owns his own shop, and that he considers himself a knowledgeable mechanic.

So that being said, what can I do in this situation? I am sensing he wants his money back, but I am not going to do that especially since its been almost a week since the sale and I have no idea what he would of touched or done to the car within that time..

AndyL
06-27-2013, 01:06 AM
:rofl:

You're asking or venting about kijidiots? :)

GTS4tw
Originally posted by simonseys

So that being said, what can I do in this situation?

Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. It is a good thing he is a knowledgeable mechanic with a shop, he will have no trouble passing a simple inspection.

Redlyne_mr2
Explain to him what you just explained to us.

XXXXXX
Some people on Kijiji are f'ing retards..

You're being too generous by even CONSIDERING the shit that he's feeding you.

Tell him to F off, the sale is closed.

Edit: Check if this douche has a Costco card before you tell
him to F off, he might be useful to me.

simonseys
06-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

You're asking or venting about kijidiots? :)
Both. I was so confused when I received the message, I told him exactly what I am explaining here and I don't think he gets the point. I was really confused when he said he will consider the sale final when it passes an inspection... but the car is already sold to him! AND I already have the money!

Like I said I'm just trying to be nice so he doesn't show up at my house trying to make the situation ugly is all.. I think I'm just going to ignore him

XXXXXX
06-27-2013, 01:26 AM

He can show up at your house all he wants, he's got nothing
going for him. It's not even like you sold him a car with a
salvage title or a blown head gasket (87-92 supra).

People off Kijiji are leeches and will suck you dry and try to save
every penny even if it makes them look ridiculously stupid.

simonseys
06-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Cool, well thanks for the input guys, I gonna just repeat what I've told him before

/rant

heavyD
06-27-2013, 07:45 AM

Like I said I'm just trying to be nice so he doesn't show up at my house trying to make the situation ugly is all.. I think I'm just going to ignore him

If he keeps harassing you and comes to your house just call the cops. That will put an end to it.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2013, 07:58 AM
You have all this guys info right? I would mention to him that you consider this to be harrassment, and that if he contacts you further, you will be contacting the police.

Graham_A_M
06-27-2013, 08:03 AM
^ This. There is nothing he can do. Insurance inspections are 100% his responsibility. So for him to expect anything from you past the sale is horseshit.

mr2mike
06-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Get the app call control or call blocker
Enter his phone #
Deal finalized.

94boosted
06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
X2

Explain one more time if not tell him you will be getting the police involed (hopefully you back checked the info on the bill of sale against his drivers license).

Boosted131
06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
You don't have to deal with it, I had a guy who bought a bike from me try and return it a couple weeks later, saying that is is weak (it's a 225) I told him I didn't care. He said he was going to get a lawyer so I said go ahead . He also thought it had a warranty from me as well...

FraserB
06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You have all this guys info right? I would mention to him that you consider this to be harrassment, and that if he contacts you further, you will be contacting the police.

This. Then actually follow through with it.

Seth1968
06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Just a side note:

Here's how it went with my first (and probably last) experience with Kijiji:

I was selling a really nice HP laptop with a new installation of W7. In capitalized bold letters, I write, "No emails or texts, and I'm FIRM on the price. Please call...". Within minutes, I start to get texts on my basic flip phone such as:

"What lowest price?"

"You trade for iphone?"

"I give 150. You take?"

That went on for about 20 texts until someone called and simply said she'd buy the laptop, but she couldn't buy it at that time.

Turned out, she was a student that worked part time, and wouldn't have the money for a couple of weeks. She asked if I would hold it, and I reluctantly agreed. She never called back on the date agreed.

:banghead:

Kloubek
06-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. It is a good thing he is a knowledgeable mechanic with a shop, he will have no trouble passing a simple inspection.

100%. Don't respond to him any longer.... he sounds like a shady motherfucker. If he is in the auto industry, he knows damn well how this all works.

simonseys
06-27-2013, 09:15 AM
He's not harassing me, not yet at least but he kept saying finalizing the sale after the inspection.. I kinda figured I'm gonna be telling him to pound sand

FraserB
06-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Just tell him the sale is finalized and you'll conisder any further communication from him to be harassment and will contact the police to report it.

D. Dub
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Tell him to enjoy his new car, and not to bother contacting you again. .

Yup. Done. Close the thread.

A790
06-27-2013, 09:35 AM
He's not harassing me, not yet at least but he kept saying finalizing the sale after the inspection.. I kinda figured I'm gonna be telling him to pound sand
"Hey BUYER NAME;

With respect, the sale is complete and final. When we exchanged money for the vehicle, and you left with the vehicle, the sale was complete.

I have a bill of sale (as do you), and that document represents the completion of this transaction.

Regarding any inspections, or anything else for that matter, that is now your responsibility. The vehicle, it's maintenance, repairs, operation, and anything else tied to it is your responsibility. I feel that I must emphasize this point.

I apologize if there was any confusion. I will not be joining you for the inspection as I have no place or interest in your personal business.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME"

revelations
06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Ah yes, this is why I keep ads up for items on Kijiji AFTER they sold because the ad would clearly state "AS IS WHERE IS, NO WARRANTY " ...

I've had people complain to be because I sold them a PC Box (for 20$, with no HDD) and it wouldnt POST.

The ad mentioned UNTESTED, so I just directed them to the ad and asked them to read it to me:rofl:

simonseys
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Lesson learned, never sell on Kijiji. Such a hassle

A790 I think I'm gonna copy what you said and send it off to him

GQBalla
06-27-2013, 09:49 AM
I feel your pain.

reminds me of a kid one time i sold a car too a few years ago.

i told him exactly what was going to be replaced then he text me a few days later saying the exact things that i told him are bad requires replacing....and he wanted money back...

:banghead: :banghead:

guessboi
06-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by A790

"Hey BUYER NAME;

With respect, the sale is complete and final. When we exchanged money for the vehicle, and you left with the vehicle, the sale was complete.

I have a bill of sale (as do you), and that document represents the completion of this transaction.

Regarding any inspections, or anything else for that matter, that is now your responsibility. The vehicle, it's maintenance, repairs, operation, and anything else tied to it is your responsibility. I feel that I must emphasize this point.

I apologize if there was any confusion. I will not be joining you for the inspection as I have no place or interest in your personal business.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME"

Nice template. lol :thumbsup:

Unknown303
06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Lesson learned, never sell on Kijiji. Such a hassle

A790 I think I'm gonna copy what you said and send it off to him

Kijiji works well you just have to spell all of this out to the person at time of sale. You have to be cut throat on Kijiji or people try to walk all over you.

Isaiah
06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by A790

"Hey BUYER NAME . . .

I have a bill of sale (as do you), and that document represents the completion of this transaction . . .

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME"
But did they read the contract? And, to put this in context, do they love roses?

spikerS
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

But did they read the contract? And, to put this in context, do they love roses?

Maybe they thought they were just giving him a deposit?

simonseys
06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
^ LOL well I'll gladly take more money if that's what he thinks

jibber
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Maybe they thought they were just giving him a deposit?

Nah, the buyer assumed that the price for the vehicle was the "all-in" price, which included all the inspections and other fees required to get the car on the road. The seller is shady for not disclosing these details when the cash was handed over.

I bet the buyer is going to got super upset with you...

simonseys
06-27-2013, 11:26 AM
There's always going to be people that expect everything is included, but as far as I'm concerned the sale is finalized once the cash is in my hand and the car is driven away.

I was just caught off guard when he messaged me because he was so eager to purchase the car when initially I didn't even want to sell it to him because he kept trying to offer me a personal check..

In any case I got the advice I need to handle this, thanks guys :thumbsup:

revelations
06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by jibber

Nah, the buyer assumed that the price for the vehicle was the "all-in" price, which included all the inspections and other fees required to get the car on the road. The seller is shady for not disclosing these details when the cash was handed over.

G-ZUS
06-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I sold some kid Off Kijiji a Integra years ago, was my daily driver at the time. 2 weeks later his mother starts to call me and asking me whats wrong with the car as they were having issues with it ? I told her to pound sand the first time. Next day she calls again and tells me the car is shutting off randomly (her son pulled out the alarm in it for whatever reason) and if something happens, I am going to pay for it. :rofl:

simonseys
06-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by jibber

That just about sums it up. Shady me, I didn't think I had to disclose to him that inspections are not included since he kept reiterating to me that he was a knowledgeable mechanic :rolleyes:

snowcat
06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Bill of sale should state

As Is, Where is, No implied warranty, FINAL SALE

ercchry
06-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
Bill of sale should state

As Is, Where is, No implied warranty, FINAL SALE

why?

XXXXXX
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
You don't even need to state that cause any person who isn't mentally challenged
knows that private used car sales are always final.

Canucks3322
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Its my understanding in AB all private car sales are as is....

XXXXXX
06-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Yes sir.. :love:

Disoblige
06-27-2013, 06:27 PM
XXXXXX, not nice of you to call brown and asian ppl mentally challenged :rofl:

XXXXXX
06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
I've never had a problem with doing business with Asians.. In fact, I like
them a lot. Not only are they all smart, but they bring tasty food to this
country and sometimes hot females too.

I do prefer less ethnic people (crackers) to buy my vehicles. Sometimes
there's a language barrier between other foreign folks that makes selling
a car hard.. And I'm not talking hard like I just saw your hot GF hard..
I mean it can get complex.

Though I do get the odd Asian who just finished dinner and comes
to check out my car and talks to fast and spits rice and spring rolls
in my face.

A790
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

why?
On every car I sell I write:

"Vehicle sold as is, in the condition presented upon delivery, with no warranty stated or implied. Buyer assumes full responsibility for the vehicle immediately upon taking possession."

Excessive? Maybe. But it sure keeps people from calling me after the fact with bullshit.

ercchry
06-27-2013, 10:36 PM
All communication via email does wonders too

amear
06-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by XXXXXX
Though I do get the odd Asian who just finished dinner and comes
to check out my car and talks to fast and spits rice and spring rolls
in my face.

dudee lol

I remember when i sold my integra a few years ago, i had the kid call my dad back a month later saying he blew his engine and the front end was gone and should get together and split the cost of the repair and what not. Dad told him to pound sand. He than calls back saying hes going to call his lawyer and sue us for blah blah blah. My dads reply was "your gonna need a few extra lawyers to win" the kid hung up LOL

colinxx235
06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
oh kijidiots...

sold some rims for dirt cheap a month ago to some guy, next thing you know he was constantly texting telling me to return money, pay for stuff, threatening crap. Then he tried the small court my friend is a lawyer crap, all over $450. I just laughed.

simonseys
06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
So just a update on this situation, I have since ignored the guy and he messaged me today asking me when I'm free so he can come pick up the car :facepalm:

This is getting out of hand and I think I'm just gonna let him show up at my house and settle it there. Hard lesson learned: Never selling anything on Kijiji.

FraserB
06-28-2013, 09:56 PM
I thought he already had the car in his possession? Why does he need to come see you?

simonseys
06-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Exactly! He has the car. So I'm confused..

FraserB
06-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Just keep ignoring him.

Shlade
06-28-2013, 10:03 PM
God damn MORANS

MrSector9
06-28-2013, 10:08 PM
just keep sending this to him, text, email, even snail mail if you can.

http://lwtc247.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/get-a-brain-morans.jpg

simonseys
06-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Eh its nothing to stress over, I'm just laughing it off. Makes for a good story

snowcat
06-30-2013, 12:15 PM

why?

Why not?

Unknown303
06-30-2013, 04:02 PM
All communication via email does wonders too :werd: if someone emails me asking to call them to discuss I just delete the email. I don't have time to deal with people who want to haggle over the phone.

soloracer
06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Next thing you know he will claim he never picked up the car and want his money back.

soloracer
06-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I had a weird one where a guy texted me saying he was interested in my car. Then a day later he texted me wanting to know when I was going to pay for his bike. Then there were a bunch of weird texts where it wasn't clear what the hell he was talking about. Not sure if it was a scam or someone was off their meds.

**M1911**
07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Once the bill of sale is signed and the money/car has exchanged hands, that (to me) is the end of the deal.

Tell him that it's done. No sense in coming back.

Skyline_Addict
07-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
I had a weird one where a guy texted me saying he was interested in my car. Then a day later he texted me wanting to know when I was going to pay for his bike. Then there were a bunch of weird texts where it wasn't clear what the hell he was talking about. Not sure if it was a scam or someone was off their meds.

Ya. Some weird people on kijiji.

Had a guy come over to my house at the agreed upon time. Seemed normal up until the point that I opened the door and he said he doesn't need to see or test drive the car as he "already knows how they drive". Insisted that he only came over because "I said I would come over". He left in 2 minutes. Had no interest whatsoever in seeing, nevermind buying the car but drove all the way from the south to the north. Interesting.

revelations
07-03-2013, 12:05 AM
You can phone the police and they will talk to the dude and tell him to go to small claims court (which he can try as much as he likes).

Honestly, the wife and I have dealt with literally HUNDREDS of people from Kijiji locally and I've only had a few issues either buying or selling (vehicles, furniture, electronics, etc.).

As a percentage, I would have to say its around 5% that cause issues after the sale - so still worth the effort in our opinion :dunno:

2Legit2Quit
07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
I'd just keep ignoring him, what a dummy.

Kramerica
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I tried selling my first car on kijiji, that was a fucking nightmare. Older 80s car in good condition, no real rust, really well kept. It was impossible to agree on a price and I had to keep telling people I would get more by scrapping it. Finally sold it to some guy for his first car.

Private car sales should require an IQ test. I used to work at a junkyard and every few days we'd have an issue where somebody fucked up the private sale form and then not understand that they technically didn't own the car and we couldn't take it from them.