PDA

View Full Version : TD Aeroplan Coming Soon?

flipstah
06-27-2013, 08:06 AM
http://money.ca.msn.com/investing/news/business-news/td-poised-to-take-over-aeroplan-credit-cards-2

Aimia said Thursday that TD would make a $100-million upfront payment in 2014 to help fund program enhancements if it becomes the new bank to offer a co-branded Aeroplan credit card under a 10-year deal starting Jan. 1, 2014.

CIBC was quick to respond to Aimia's announcement, saying it's reviewing the proposed terms to see if it will exercise its right of first refusal and that, for credit card users, it will be business as usual in the meantime.

The bank has said previously that it was investing millions of dollars this year to explore the potential for setting up its own loyalty-point credit cards.

Aimia said CIBC has until Aug. 9 to exercise its contractual right to match the deal it has arranged with TD. If CIBC does so, Aimia has agreed to pay TD an $80 million break fee in 2013.

Would you switch to TD if you found out the Aeroplan system is gone from CIBC?

vengie
06-27-2013, 08:12 AM
No switch needed! I'd love for this to happen! :clap:

davidI
06-27-2013, 08:21 AM
I'd try to switch. May be hard for me now that I'm a non-resident...but at least I bank with TD.

benyl
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Please make this happen.

flipstah
09-17-2013, 04:38 PM
It's official. Received my email from AC this week:

https://new.aeroplan.com/card/?cid=000555784

They're running both, meaning that Aeroplan is on three holders: AMEX, TD, CIBC.

This might hinder the TD First Class VISA as their 'top-tier' card.

300zxfairlday
09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
So glad that they decided to keep cibc with it as well. I'm not a fan of td and was pretty disappointed to hear it might have been the end

davidI
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
It's official. Received my email from AC this week:

https://new.aeroplan.com/card/?cid=000555784

They're running both, meaning that Aeroplan is on three holders: AMEX, TD, CIBC.

This might hinder the TD First Class VISA as their 'top-tier' card.

If you're a CIBC card holder but don't bank with CIBC they'll automatically switch you to TD from the sounds of it. That's fine by me as I bank with TD and it makes sense to have a TD credit card!

davidI
09-17-2013, 09:23 PM
How and when will it be determined which credit cards will be offered to which members in 2014?

The agreement includes the transition of approximately 50 per cent of CIBC’s Aerogold credit card portfolio to TD, primarily consisting of credit card only customers holding only an Aerogold credit card. This transition would take place in 2014.

CIBC would retain the Aerogold credit card accounts held by clients with broader banking relationships.
We are all committed to ensuring members can stay informed throughout this process. We will communicate more information directly to all cardholders later in the year.

dirtsniffer
09-18-2013, 08:56 AM
wait so if I am already with TD I might not be able to get a card?

yellowsnow
09-18-2013, 09:50 AM
you can get multiple credit cards from the same bank

BensonTT
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
So what will happen with our TD Reward points? Do they turn into Aeroplan points?

Thaco
09-18-2013, 10:38 AM
who cares, aeroplan blows, cashback FTW

flipstah
09-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by BensonTT
So what will happen with our TD Reward points? Do they turn into Aeroplan points?

Don't think they'll change TD Reward to Aeroplan but run it side-by-side.

Aeroplan is actually awesome if you're a business traveller going cross-provinces or in the oilfields from the east coast to Fort Mac.

CapnCrunch
09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
who cares, aeroplan blows, cashback FTW

Aeroplan is one of the worst programs going lol.

TomcoPDR
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Seems like the TD Aeroplan infinite is reality.

For those who aren't TD customers, will you be getting one?

For those who are existing cibc Aeroplan, or TD travel infinite (different card); will you be switching over to TD Aeroplan?

I like using my current TD gold elite or TD travel infinite for all my CCR needs... Not sure if I'm motivated enough to switch or get a new TD Aeroplan.

Neil4Speed
01-09-2014, 05:27 PM
I went for it as there was no Credit Check, I was pre-approved, got 15,000 bonus miles plus a 2-1 Voucher.. Will cancel at the end of the year though.

Strider
01-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Seems like the TD Aeroplan infinite is reality.

For those who aren't TD customers, will you be getting one?

For those who are existing cibc Aeroplan, or TD travel infinite (different card); will you be switching over to TD Aeroplan?

I like using my current TD gold elite or TD travel infinite for all my CCR needs... Not sure if I'm motivated enough to switch or get a new TD Aeroplan.

Posted this in the other CC thread:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/images/ccird/aeroplan/aeroplan-visa-infinite-privilege-card.jpg
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege (http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/credit-cards/view-all-cards/aeroplan-infinite-privilege-card.jsp)
$200k minimum annual income.
$399 annual fee

Step up your CCR game and show them who the real baller is.

flipstah
01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Posted this in the other CC thread:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/images/ccird/aeroplan/aeroplan-visa-infinite-privilege-card.jpg
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege (http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/credit-cards/view-all-cards/aeroplan-infinite-privilege-card.jsp)
$200k minimum annual income.
$399 annual fee

Step up your CCR game and show them who the real baller is.

That's a stupid card with lackluster benefits for that insanely high criteria.

kenny
01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
I guess they are positioning it to capture new customers but don't want too many existing TD card holders to switch to it.

I compared the two cards and the points collection seems about the same but redemption wise TD Points is more flexible and can be used to book hotels, cars and flights.

Who is a big Aeroplan points collector? What is the major benefit? Frequent domestic short haul flights?

flipstah
01-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by kenny
I guess they are positioning it to capture new customers but don't want too many existing TD card holders to switch to it.

I compared the two cards and the points collection seems about the same but redemption wise TD Points is more flexible and can be used to book hotels, cars and flights.

Who is a big Aeroplan points collector? What is the major benefit? Frequent domestic short haul flights?

Aeroplan is so-so. It's just great if you're a major flyer of AC to Asia (Tokyo) and you make your money back on flights to Vancouver and back.

yellowsnow
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
I collect aeroplan points! I am by no means a baller, but if you want to travel like a baller, aeroplan is REALLLY good.

For myself, there are ONLY 2 reasons to collect aeroplan points.

First or Business class tickets... although they recently increased the amount required to go to Asia, Australia, and a few other countries.

With aeroplan tickets, you can have up to 3 stopovers, and 10 layovers for the price of 1 redemption. This means you can visit 3 cities, and have a bunch of <24 hour layovers.

There are some huge downsides to aeroplan...
for example, you need to pay extra fees (fuel taxes, airport fees, etc) on tickets if you book with certain airlines.
It's not easy finding flights you want, so you have to be flexible, especially if you are putting together a 3 stopover itinerary with stopovers.
Constant devaluation of their point system, but it's easy getting points through credit card promos.

In 2013, I've collected over 150,000 aeroplan points. Which is enough for a business class ticket to Asia. Most of the points came from credit card promos, and trips.

busdepot
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
^ get another 50k for the around the world ticket!

yellowsnow
01-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by busdepot

I've been spoiled... I don't redeem for economy class tickets with aeroplan :p besides, 3 cities is plenty to see!

last year, wife and I went to Thailand, Greece, and France. our flight took us around the globe though, so technically it was an around the world trip :D

toyboy88
01-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I went for it as there was no Credit Check, I was pre-approved, got 15,000 bonus miles plus a 2-1 Voucher.. Will cancel at the end of the year though.

I'm assuming no credit check as you were existing TD acct and/or CC holder?

Just want to confirm if so, planning to do the same (already have banking and first class infinite CC with TD).
Did you apply bank/online/phone?

Thanks.

Neil4Speed
01-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

I'm assuming no credit check as you were existing TD acct and/or CC holder?

Just want to confirm if so, planning to do the same (already have banking and first class infinite CC with TD).
Did you apply bank/online/phone?

Thanks.

Exactly. I really don't mind a credit check normally but going through mortage aprovals and such, I'd rather not.

Unless your hellbent on Aeroplan, I think that the BMO First Class MC offers a better sign on.

davidI
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by busdepot

Mini-RTWs using the rules he posted are probably the best value. You can do some pretty serious flying for a basic reward if you plan right...

Darkane
01-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I have to re-read the credit card thread, but would you boys recommend that infinite TD card for a bi-weekly domestic flyer?

Not sure which card to choose as I'm missing out on a lot of points with my current low interest card.

flipstah
01-10-2014, 10:06 PM
^ You'll get killer returns on Aeroplan VISA if its bi-weekly local flights.

Env-Consultant
01-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I ended up with D-Diamond status (100,000+ Aeroplan points earned in 2013) and I booked a flight this week. The availability has increased substantially with their new status program. Prior to this, if I wanted a specific flight, they'd absolutely bend me over on points, now it's basically the same as a regular flight used to be. Checked both domestic and international flights. I know CIBC is retaining some customers, but I'm not sure who they are keeping/how that is decided.

I agree though, before the program was so-so. If you wanted a flight during any holidays and didn't book a year it advance, it would cost you 3-5 x the points and you'd end up stopping 2+ times - just ridiculous.

Happy for the time being.

Darkane
01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
^ You'll get killer returns on Aeroplan VISA if its bi-weekly local flights.

Thats what I was thinking. I pay for the flights and expense them. So I get free rewards essentially.