PDA

View Full Version : New fence, new property report req.?

Talies R
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I have a duplex. Neighbor wants to build a fence, I have no interest, I'm looking to sell my home soon.

If he builds the fence, will I require a new property report when I go to sell the home?

Can the fence be on his property and not mine?

Thanks guys!

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
You wouldn't need a new property report. Yes he can build the fence on his side of the property line. A fence would only increase appeal to buyers. You're a dick for not paying for half the fence.

dj_rice
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
If OP doesn't pay and neighbor builds a fence anyway and OP does indeed sell the house. Can the neighbor send a bill to the new home owner recouping half of the costs?

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
If OP doesn't pay and neighbor builds a fence anyway and OP does indeed sell the house. Can the neighbor send a bill to the new home owner recouping half of the costs?

He could do whatever he wants, but it isn't legally binding, lol.

JordanLotoski
06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes you will 100% need a new compliant Rpr, upon sale

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Really? Hmm. I am corrected. I wouldn't think a standard fence would require that.

Masked Bandit
06-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Talies R
I have a duplex. Neighbor wants to build a fence, I have no interest, I'm looking to sell my home soon.

If he builds the fence, will I require a new property report when I go to sell the home?

Can the fence be on his property and not mine?

Thanks guys!

Help build the fence, pay for half, it's increase the resale value of the property. Be a good neighbour / person, there's already enough assholes in the world.

dj_rice
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Do you only need a new RPR when you sell it?Or should you get one now?

When I purchased my home, on the offer, it was written I would accept the RPR from 2004 from the seller as they made no changes since then. My realtor advised me it was okay.

JordanLotoski
06-27-2013, 11:59 AM
When listing a property in Alberta its in the listing contract that the seller provides the purchaser with an updated RPR upon closing.

Even if you put in an AC unit you would have to ask for an update.

Cheapest way to do this is on your current RPR there is a survey company listed, call them and ask for an update...should cost 300-400. and take about 4 weeks to complete.

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Easiest solution. Tell your neighbor you'll pay half, as long as it is entirely on their side of the property line.

JordanLotoski
06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Easiest solution. Tell your neighbor you'll pay half, as long as it is entirely on their side of the property line.

Again you'll still need to update the RPR, to show that its on the Neighbours side....there is no way around an updated RPR when adding to the property

Talies R
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Appreciate the comments.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Help build the fence, pay for half, it's increase the resale value of the property. Be a good neighbour / person, there's already enough assholes in the world.

I need to talk to my realtor, I'm no expert. Does a fence really increase resale value?

I didn't say I wouldn't pay half, I just didn't have an interest for it.

403ep3
06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Talies R
Appreciate the comments.

I need to talk to my realtor, I'm no expert. Does a fence really increase resale value?

I didn't say I wouldn't pay half, I just didn't have an interest for it.

Our realtor said it doesn't really add value to the house. So 30k in landscaping doesn't seem to matter :(

We are still going to price it higher, with the landscaping in mind.

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Our realtor said it doesn't really add value to the house.

Perhaps not a $ value, but if I were looking at two identical homes, one with a brand new fence, the other with a shared yard with the neighbor... I know damn well which home I'd be buying.

Sugarphreak
06-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Tik-Tok
06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Why is he being a dick exactly?

If he is moving there is no way he will recoup the cost of the fence ... you are talking about thousands of dollars out of pocket for a return of pennies on the dollar at best.

Lol. I rebuilt the fence along one side of my property with 5/4 cedar fence boards. It cost me $600 for 45'. Half of that is a whopping $300