PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever removed their DRL's ?

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 12:54 AM
What does everyone think of this ?

I think they're gay.

Has anyone ever done it ?

Get pulled over ?

Fried rice ?

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 01:07 AM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82773

Yeah that's right, I replied first to my own thread.. :dunno:

TomcoPDR
06-28-2013, 01:09 AM
If the vehicle is equipped with it, I believe it's illegal to remove it.

If u don't like drl, maybe buy a US unit. Swap with drl light switch to pass import inspection, then switch back to US spec after. (In theory, that's what someone that hates drl might do)

ercchry
06-28-2013, 01:43 AM
drive around with your e-brake on... problem solved

Disoblige
06-28-2013, 01:51 AM
After doing a retrofit, I don't have DRLs. They're useless, really.
If I need to "stay legal", flip of a switch turns on my parking lights.

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks mustang man, I will try it out tomorrow while I also remove my
brake pads for weight reduction. You laugh now, but watch how fast
I go ! Just make sure to turn around when I approach the intersection.

Tomco, I know its illegal, but then again so is having tint on your front
windows and having a modified exhaust, but everyone still does it.

300zx, I think they're useless, it's just another gadget for the lazy driver who's
too stupid to turn on their lights when its raining. It wont be long before
cars drive themselves, they're already parking themselves.

JustinMCS
06-28-2013, 03:42 AM
I coded my car to have the option to turn on and off the DRLs in the iDrive. I like the angel eyes though.

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 03:50 AM
Not everyone has fancy BMW's with iDrive !! :cry:

I wouldn't mind angel eyes for DRL's.

Audi's LED's are nice too, but cars that don't have them from the factory
and have them put on look out of place and riced out.

dirtsniffer
06-28-2013, 10:48 AM
You don't by chance live in Lethbridge do you?

Hallowed_point
06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
I get really annoyed with people who have disabled them and drive
around at dusk thinking they look all cool & euro haha.

+1 for gay

Idiot Stick
06-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by XXXXXX
Thanks mustang man, I will try it out tomorrow while I also remove my
brake pads for weight reduction. You laugh now, but watch how fast
I go ! Just make sure to turn around when I approach the intersection.

Tomco, I know its illegal, but then again so is having tint on your front
windows and having a modified exhaust, but everyone still does it.

300zx, I think they're useless, it's just another gadget for the lazy driver who's
too stupid to turn on their lights when its raining. It wont be long before
cars drive themselves, they're already parking themselves.

It's unfortunate that you're a troll. If you put the ebrake up one click, in most cars that doesn't engage anything and still turns the drls off.

Although I agree with the "it's gay" category

Hallowed_point
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick

It's unfortunate that you're a troll. If you put the ebrake up one click, in most cars that doesn't engage anything and still turns the drls off.

Although I agree with the "it's gay" category

He may be a troll, but at this stage I still find him entertaining..brake pad idea idk tho :rofl:

LSChevelle
06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Come on guys you are all over thinking this. Obviously the best thing to do would be buy a classic car. No DRLs in those days! :thumbsup:

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 03:43 PM
I'll actually try the E-brake method and see how that goes. The only
gay thing is that my E-brake light is going to be on all day but I'm willing
to sacrifice that for the good of my people ?? :nut:

Wonder if there's any way to move the contact for the E-brake up so the
light doesn't come on for the first click.

962 kid
06-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

+1 for gay

:werd: there is no valid reason for disabling drls. They are one of few safety features on the car that do not detract from looks, performance, convenience, or anything at all really.

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
They look gay and I don't want them.. :dunno:

Didn't think I needed a valid reason to do something to my car.

All those Honda boys with they're exhausts and 10 inch high spoilers
are going to be in for a surprise when they hear that its not valid
to do what they've done !!

gpomp
06-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Why don't you take your airbags and seat belts out as well? Those are pretty gay

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
You sir, make a good point. I will add that to my list of things to do.

bh87
06-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Used to have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport, had 9007 type headlight bulbs which are dual filament (high beams in same bulb as low beams) Low's were the DRL's (no change in light output between headlights off in DRL mode and headlights on) and I swapped in HID's which required the DRL module to be disconnected otherwise HID's would create strobe action if headlights were not switched on and would likely burn out the HID ballasts. Decided to turn on parking lights while driving during the day time to supplement the loss of DRL's.

Other than that I had no reason to disconnect the DRL module, at the time I contemplated rerouting the DRL's to a different light just to have something, but never got around to it.

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 04:57 PM
bh87, the only message that I absorbed from all that ^^ is that these "bulbs"
you speak of, emit light. That is all !!

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Holy hell blackberry lost 84 million dorrah ?!!!? :eek:

snowcat
06-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bh87
Used to have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport, had 9007 type headlight bulbs which are dual filament (high beams in same bulb as low beams) Low's were the DRL's (no change in light output between headlights off in DRL mode and headlights on) and I swapped in HID's

Fuck you.

D. Dub
06-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Disable them. Are you daft? TYhen you're gonna bitch when someone turns left in front of you at twilight.

eglove
06-28-2013, 06:59 PM
I usually just empty the headlight fluid and then the drl's stay off

Hallowed_point
06-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by XXXXXX
Holy hell blackberry lost 84 million dorrah ?!!!? :eek:

You REALLY remind me of that Peter Chao fob from youtube..in fact I read your posts in that voice lol.

Are you in fact..him?

XXXXXX
06-28-2013, 11:18 PM
He is definitely one of my inspirations ! :love:

AE92_TreunoSC
06-29-2013, 01:07 AM
I've seen one guy in the 8 years I've been a mechanic get a DRL ticket.

You have to be a MONSTEROUS douchebag asshole to get that ticket. It was on a plain american MDX with alberta plates haha.

Graham_A_M
06-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

+1 for gay
Word, fuck that annoys me. You get so used to looking for headlights when trying to turn left at an intersection, yet some ass clown has disabled the DRL's, so Ive came quite close to getting into an accident at dusk or early in the morning. :banghead:

slinkie
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
look for a DRL fuse, some have it some don't

GTS4tw
06-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Word, fuck that annoys me. You get so used to looking for headlights when trying to turn left at an intersection, yet some ass clown has disabled the DRL's, so Ive came quite close to getting into an accident at dusk or early in the morning. :banghead:

No doubt! Imagine if they allowed classic cars or trucks or bikes on the road! It would be carnage when those people went to turn left.

Graham_A_M
06-30-2013, 09:20 PM
^ I have classic "cars" & trucks, when driving them, for the safety of everyone else on the road, I turn the headlights on to avoid any chance of someone not seeing me. It comes down to respect and consideration for other people, nothing more.

Unknown303
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
^ I have classic "cars" & trucks, when driving them, for the safety of everyone else on the road, I turn the headlights on to avoid any chance of someone not seeing me. It comes down to respect and consideration for other people, nothing more.

:werd: Any time I drive I turn on my headlights, I just figure people will spot me better that way.

top_speed
06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
I have never seen police vehicles with Drls

Graham_A_M
06-30-2013, 10:49 PM
^ They do that to remain harder to spot. Which to them may translate to more tickets to people that cant see them.

DEATH2000
07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
I have never seen police vehicles with Drls
Police Vehicles DO have DRL's. They just have a switch inside the car to turn them off when needed. They are excempt from the TSA that makes DRL's mandatory, so long as they have a reason to turn them off.

D. Dub
07-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Stop using logic. That doesn't work here.

DeleriousZ
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Fuck you.

This. HID's in non projector lenses deserve a dick punch.

Vehicles mfr'd after a certain date (1990?) required DRL's in canada. My Z was made in 88 and was before the requirement kicked in, therefore no DRL's.

thetransporter
07-01-2013, 01:59 PM
DRL are good. why would you want to disable them. they help people see you better .

rx7_turbo2
07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Police Vehicles DO have DRL's. They just have a switch inside the car to turn them off when needed. They are excempt from the TSA that makes DRL's mandatory, so long as they have a reason to turn them off.

Is a satisfactory reason that they don't have to on day's that end in "Y"? Because I have never not ever, not one single time in all my years behind the wheel seen a CPS vehicle with their DRL's on.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Drls would totally fuck a cop doing a stake out at night lol.

They are more than visible anyway, and they have actual cause for not having them.

XXXXXXX
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

M.alex
07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
LOL at people thinking DTRLs make you more visible - most people out there are god damn idiots. YOu could drive around with a 100foot flood light mounted on your roof and they still wouldn't see you.

In any event, only 1 out of my 7 cars has working DTRLs. My z06 did, but somehow moistue kept getting into the bulb and blowing it out so I pulled the fuse for it.