PDA

View Full Version : Website Gallery

Unknown303
06-30-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm trying to find a decent gallery to manage some photos on my personal site so that I can share them on Facebook without having to host them on Facebook. Anyone have recommendations for this?

A790
07-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Is your website powered via a CMS - such as WordPress - or is it straight HTML or PHP?

eblend
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Smugmug perhaps? I know they have the whole facebook integration thing in there, don't really know how it all works as I don't use facebook.

I have been using my smugmug for all my photos and videos for the last year and a bit now, works great to host all my travel pics and videos. Does cost $ thought so isn't free, but unlimited space so worth it. Think it comes out to about 5 bucks a month

codetrap
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
dalbum

Unknown303
07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
My main site runs a Wordpress setup. But I'm looking at creating a private gallery for friends and family to view photos I've taken with the ability to like them on Facebook to get additional exposure. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but I'm just trying to make a way to share photos on Facebook without actually hosting them there and I already have hosting in place for my current site so was hoping to use it.

codetrap
07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Buy a flickr pro account then. It's cheap, easy to use, and it has what you're looking for. Plus you can link back to your own personal site with direct embedded links.

taemo
07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
flickr or any other upload sites, then share the link on facebook.

however if you want to restrict access to only certain people, then you'll have to pay for something like smugsmug

ga16i
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
So you want a private photo gallery that a select few people can view and like on Facebook hosted on your own server...

This might be the long way around and missing a few details, but you could:
- install a social media / Facebook plugin for Wordpress
- this should give you Facebook login, Likes, etc
- setup a .htaccess file to restrict hot linking
- or get more fancy and put your images into a non-web readable directory and use a script to retrieve images only after checking Facebook credentials (which you should be able to do with the help of the social media / Facebook plugin)

Unknown303
07-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really not that interested in signing up for another pay account online for hosting photos when I already have unlimited storage through my current hosting company.

The privacy aspect isn't a huge concern for me. The main point of this is to keep my photos hosted on my website. Since I'm hoping to have it setup so people can share them on Facebook easily I'm sure there will be a lot of people looking at them anyways.

I'm testing out Gallery but it doesn't have the best Facebook integration. Only through a outdated add on module.