PDA

View Full Version : How to improve ice hockey cardio?

max_boost
07-01-2013, 04:50 PM
I need to improve my hockey endurance.

I know there are a lot of hockey players on here so please share any programs/tips you may have.

A buddy suggested high rep 20-30 by 5 sets of dumbbell squats 3x a week.

He said that really really really helped him. I tried that today and felt the destruction. :nut: :eek:

DeleriousZ
07-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Squats, deadlift, crossfit, high intensity core exercises.

max_boost
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
If there are any programs on any websites you guys have come across that was written up and built for this purpose, please link them. I could definitely use some structure and guidance.

lint
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
you own one of the best conditioning tools on the planet, the prowler. just use it

Street_Soldier
07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't know how well you skate but for me when I wanted to improve my hockey endurance I started tweaking the way I skated. Took a number of power skating courses, worked on only my skating for sometime. You'll be surprised how much energy you can save. Even now I still work on my skating, its something that I can always improve on.

max_boost
07-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Yes for sure. I have been playing for about a year and a half now. Took 3 power skating classes last winter, play shinny 2x a week, I know I still have a lot to work on. Really wish I started this when I was a kid. I have buddies who are skinny like a stick or fat like Ron Jeremy who haven't played for years only to step out and see them skate like the wind still. That's gotta be more muscle memory than fitness levels. Anyway I'm just mad jelly haha:burnout:

Originally posted by lint
you own one of the best conditioning tools on the planet, the prowler. just use it

Damn it. Everyone hates the prowler. For good reason. Every time it comes out to play everyone just wants to :barf:

bigbadboss101
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
6G4QMUKPhKg

bigbadboss101
07-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Stemkos has verticals!

Perceptionist
07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I find high intensity interval training (HIIT) on a stationary bike to be the closest thing to actually being on the ice taking shifts in a hockey game. That being said, the only way to get into good hockey shape is by actually playing or practicing.

Team_Mclaren
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Its hard for new skaters cause they skate so inefficiently. IMO its not just in strength but skating technique. However, I'm fucked up cause I skate backward better than forward... :rofl: :rofl:

scboss
07-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Man you gotta hit that prowler sled with pushes and pulls, nothing will help you more then doing this esp when it comes to dealing with lactic acid

For power

DB Jump Squats
Romanian split squats (jumping)
Speed Skaters
Box Jumps

and probably the best things is get a set of bands and do stuff like this
QV9pD-9v1Ps

We were doing tons of this stuff last summer when my friend was in his off season. Keep it simple and specific to your biggest weakness's