PDA

View Full Version : Montana import question

toastgremlin
07-02-2013, 09:47 AM
I pick stuff up from MSO in Sweetgrass all the time. This time I've got a stumper of a question so I figured I'd ask Beyond before I spend a few hours on hold with the government to get them to explain their rules to me and get it wrong anyway.

I got a set of '04 STI struts that I want to have rebuilt by Feal, in California. Since shipping struts is understandably expensive I want to take advantage of USPS' cheap in-America parcel rates and have Feal ship the struts back to the border where I can pick them up with my next MSO run.

The problem is, how do I re-import these struts? I own them, they're already my struts, they spent time in Tim Hortons drivethroughs, the import duty was paid on them a long time ago.

spikerS
07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
I pick stuff up from MSO in Sweetgrass all the time. This time I've got a stumper of a question so I figured I'd ask Beyond before I spend a few hours on hold with the government to get them to explain their rules to me and get it wrong anyway.

I got a set of '04 STI struts that I want to have rebuilt by Feal, in California. Since shipping struts is understandably expensive I want to take advantage of USPS' cheap in-America parcel rates and have Feal ship the struts back to the border where I can pick them up with my next MSO run.

The problem is, how do I re-import these struts? I own them, they're already my struts, they spent time in Tim Hortons drivethroughs, the import duty was paid on them a long time ago.

I believe there is a form you can fill out for warranty work, or repair work.

If there are serial numbers, you can record those.

I have heard of others stopping at the canadian office at sweetgrass and getting a declaration form of property entering the states as proof that it was already in canada and not being imported upon return.

MrSector9
07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
you pay duty/taxes on the service if applicable as the company will be giving you an invoice just make sure they state that it was for "service" and not for the item.

toastgremlin
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I have heard of others stopping at the canadian office at sweetgrass and getting a declaration form of property entering the states as proof that it was already in canada and not being imported upon return. That would work, but I was thinking of mailing it from Canada to the US and picking it up in the US.

I think declaring the work based on the labour invoice is probably the right thing to do. Thanks chaps :)