PDA

View Full Version : Mopac Auto Supply Reveiw.

CourtX
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I didn't realize the internet was so hard to use before coming here. A simple thing like an air filter they totally screw up and give me the wrong one. So I have to drive across the city twice to return it and they want more money.... I ask if they can take a few bucks off to compensate me for driving across the city twice and the guy says "well what do you want me to do I can't change the price." well he clearly doesn't give a sh*t and giving me a lot of attitude while saying that and just gives store credit. This place is a joke... the customer service was the WORST I have ever had from a parts place. All they want is your money, I HIGHLY recommend NOT ever going to this place. I understand the products are different but a few bucks to have a happy customer after screwing up shouldn't be such a big deal.

403civic
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
They are even worse to deal with from Wholesale.

they think they can treat people like shit cuz they are the only ones in town that are distributors with some particular brands

But on a side note; Mopac Vancouver is very nice to deal with.
(they have to compete with lordco)

I feel like its more of a staffing and management problem; company is great.

Sentry
07-02-2013, 04:43 PM
It's really a pain in the ass unless you know exactly what you want and need it right away and can't wait for an internet order.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Dylan those guys are awful, they made fun of my car once when I was younger, so I went and spent my money elsewhere.

Darell_n
07-02-2013, 04:54 PM
:cry: :cry:

Somebody needs to grow a set.

rx7_turbo2
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Mopac in Calgary is THE WORST and always has been lol, nothing has changed in years. When it comes to customers, they are rude, short, ignorant, and mostly uninterested in serving you whatsoever. Now that's all if the vehicle you're requesting parts for is a domestic, import car? Good luck. I know that's a blanket statement but I've been going there for years, and have been treated that way, witnessed others treated that way, and heard stories from others.

Their prices on most stuff is insane.

With all that why do I find myself there? I don't anymore, at least not much, They sell Redline Synthetic products so from time to time I peak in to grab a bottle of this or that. As a general practice I avoid Mopac Auto Supply like the plague, which is ironic because that's how I feel I'm treated when I walk in their door.

Shlade
07-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Never had a problem with them.

When I dealt with them for wholesale stuff they were good as well.

Sorry for the shitty experience I guess

sr20s14zenki
07-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Prices suck, but i usually find the guys to be friendly. I usually know what i want tho, so i dont rely on their "expertese"

tsi_neal
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Ha... I like when i get their "expertise" when i order by part number. I had an argument over oil coolers a while back because the parts guy basically refused to order what i asked for by part number. He apparently knew better than i did without even knowing my application. It shocks me that they ate still in business sometimes.

Hallowed_point
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
I love how they don't display prices on anything and try and charge more then list price for automotive books! I'm surprised this dinosaur (Mopac) hasn't gone extinct what with their piss poor customer service and the cost savings of the internet.

Prob old white trash guys who don't trust the internetz keeping them in business!

DeleriousZ
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
The last few times I've gone I haven't really had any issues with service or attitude, in fact the last time I went the guy was actually pretty helpful. Just FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not tell them it's for an import.

Years ago when I lived in Calgary the first time around, the place was brutal. I think it's just learning how to manipulate them into getting what you want without a fight lol. They certainly have a very poor reputation, and it is definitely earned.

On the flipside, the Mopac in Vancouver was fantastic. Guys were helpful and knowledgeable.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
They are extremely rude to newbies, even to those in the industry with performance questions.

They follow zero rules when it comes to costumer service, and they will always be held back by that.

There are tons of alternatives and these guys need to fail sooner than later.

Anomaly
07-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Have to be pretty desperate to go to Mopac these days. Tried ordering a Canton road race pan from them; 80$ more than summit, and summit could ship < a week. Mopac was 4 to ??? weeks plus they wanted me to pay for shipping. :rofl:

EM1FTW
07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
only time i ever shop at mopac is when i need AN fittings NOW, even then, some of the guys are very hard to deal with.

rx7_turbo2
07-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Anomaly
Have to be pretty desperate to go to Mopac

This!

They are absolutely, positively, my last resort, even then the dialogue in my own head is hilarious. "Are you sure you need that? You can't go without it for a bit? You've tried every other option? Maybe Steve has one, give him a shout! Steve doesn't have one, fuck! off to Mopac"

89s1
07-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by EM1FTW
only time i ever shop at mopac is when i need AN fittings NOW, even then, some of the guys are very hard to deal with.

JB's power center has a wide selection fyi.

Found myself going there lately.

DeleriousZ
07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

JB's power center has a wide selection fyi.

Found myself going there lately.

This is good information. Need a thread stating the availability of motorsports/performance parts like this. Preferably at non-speed shop prices.

never
07-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Maybe it's just the stuff I've needed but Mopac's pricing has been cheaper than Summit. I only go when I have part numbers so they don't have to do much.

AE92_TreunoSC
07-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Summit doesn't snort and shake its head when I place a part in my basket. I'd rather pay more with duty than deal with those retards.

Q-TIP
07-03-2013, 12:51 AM
I have to say I've had very similar experiences there. I've been in a few times and in all honesty they just seem like any customer that walks through the door is a major pain in the ass.

Must be a front for something because I can't fathom how such an overwhelmingly rude RETAIL store can stay in business otherwise.

syritis
07-03-2013, 02:35 AM
courtX, let me get this straight you demanded a discount, and youre pissy you didn't get it?

yup, seems right on the money, there seems to be a ton of people willing to bite these guys heads off for little or no reason so i can't blame them for being short tempered with dealing with hostile customers.

there is one guy there that's a dick and i just don't deal with him. can't remember his name though.

I however. haven't had any problem with these guys. even went in there with a half ass sketch of the fuel system i needed and what i already had and Kevin had no problem helping me out for well over an hour. yeah sometimes they're busy, somethings i've found cheaper else where. but really i've had no reason to believe these guys are the worst.

5fivespeed
07-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by syritis
courtX, let me get this straight you demanded a discount, and youre pissy you didn't get it?

Wrong. If reading fails me, they gave him the wrong air filter.

Ray

fiveowed
07-03-2013, 05:18 AM
mopac is to cars, what blackfoot is to bikes

Sentry
07-03-2013, 06:36 AM
I bought a walbro from them last summer and I looked up the part number on the pump and it was actually a 190lph. Box says 255. Took it back and it took a fucking hour of the guy calling people and looking shit up before he exchanged it for a "real" 255lph pump.

Bet you five bucks they're still selling 190lph pumps as 255s.

EDIT: Bad memory. Here's my post from last year.

I looked up the part number and it was actually a 155lph pump and not a 190lph pump. So after humming and haw'ing for 40 minutes and looking up part numbers and calling a bunch of people, they finally agreed they screwed up and let me upgrade to the 255lph pump by paying the difference, which was like 15 bucks. All their "190" lph pumps are actually 155 lph if you look up the part number.

m10-power
07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Last time I was there I needed a pile of an fittings and hose. They have to hold your hand while you find the fittings, then they cut me the wrong type of hose. Drove home and by the time I figured out I have the wrong hose it was late. Went back the next day and had to remain calm during the explaination of why I wasnt going to accept being unable to return the hose...eventually common sense won out.

Never really had a problem with them, but you always need to know exactly what you want. For me its almost always just misc an stuff.

sidewaysD
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by syritis

yup, seems right on the money, there seems to be a ton of people willing to bite these guys heads off for little or no reason so i can't blame them for being short tempered with dealing with hostile customers.

there is one guy there that's a dick and i just don't deal with him. can't remember his name though.

I however. haven't had any problem with these guys. even went in there with a half ass sketch of the fuel system i needed and what i already had and Kevin had no problem helping me out for well over an hour. yeah sometimes they're busy, somethings i've found cheaper else where. but really i've had no reason to believe these guys are the worst.

:rofl: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT! :rofl:

They gave him the wrong part.. and he had to drive to return the item and they wanted more money. (For a re-stock fee) even though they fucked up his order. He asked for a discount because he had to drive around town, waste gas, waste time, for a part that they messed up on!.

snowcat
07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by fiveowed
mopac is to cars, what blackfoot is to bikes

So true. Blackfoot is the worst.

I have no problem paying retail. Just don't mark up all your Dainese products 25% over retail to gouge customers you fucks.

FraserB
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
This type of thing is why I don't buy local anymore. Why would I pay more than US prices for shitty service and bullshit wait times. There is a reason why the automotive places in town are few and far between, and it's not because no one is buying.

Kramerica
07-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Went in there once to grab a helmet because it was close by. They had the same bullshit shitty attitude that the Subaru dealership parts department people have, almost seem annoyed that you're there. Kinda sad that they still get away with it because people out there don't know about online and just go in there and get abused thinking its the only option.

rx7_turbo2
07-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
almost seem annoyed that you're there.

Yup I always got the impression that selling me something was an inconvenience for them.

M.alex
07-03-2013, 02:08 PM
I've never had a problem, but then again I go in knowing exactly what I need.

Pricing is about on-par with Summit once you factor in shipping, customs and exchange, at least on what I buy.

I'm just happy for stainless and startlite hose they only use aeroquip and didn't change it to their crappy "house brand". That would piss me off to no end.

slinkie
07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Better than the retards at part source, i have gotten the wrong parts 5 times on 4 occasions from part source, this is at the Mcknight location twice, the 17SE location, and the 17SW location. I will never return to that chain.

A couple years ago i found the staff very helpful at the mcknight one, which is why i gave them a second chance after they gave me the wrong part the first time.

Last time at the mcknight one the guy tried to tell me EK civics only came with one engine.

If you work at part source and read this, i don't know if it's your computer system, your lax hiring process, or some kind of air conditioning malfunction killing your brain cells, but you need to fix your shit sharpish.

As for mopac i only shopped there once i can't remember what i bought either, it was a pretty neutral experience.

Alak
07-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I've been to Mopac a couple times for custom application air filters (Couple different cone filters for my cars and quads). It was a neutral experience. I told the guy the dimensions I needed and he found the closest match or exact match and I was happy with the results.

Too Crowded. Parking sucks. Don't tell them you have an import.

That new place on barlow and mcknight beat mopac's prices by a long shot on a fuel pump, regulator and wideband a couple weeks ago. :dunno:

bourge73
07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I've never had an issue with them ever.
Now parts source especially on McKnight ?
Completely different story 0 for 4 and on simple
Shit like brake rotors x 2 , pads, serp belt.. One stupid
Fak asked me if I was sure If I knew the year and was sure of the
Engine size,,... Ah ya buddy.

syritis
07-04-2013, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by sidewaysD

:rofl: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT! :rofl:

They gave him the wrong part.. and he had to drive to return the item and they wanted more money. (For a re-stock fee) even though they fucked up his order. He asked for a discount because he had to drive around town, waste gas, waste time, for a part that they messed up on!.

funny that, when i bought the K&N replacement for the OE filter. I was given the wrong filter. when i compared my filter and the K&N filter in their parking lot i went back in a showed them. just a few minutes i had the right filter in my hand and i was only asked to cover the difference in price, no restocking fee.
does kinda suck when that happens but if you think they're going to pay for you time then they have many other customer that they can serve that aren't whining.

D. Dub
07-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

So true. Blackfoot is the worst.

I have no problem paying retail. Just don't mark up all your Dainese products 25% over retail to gouge customers you fucks.

I dealt with Blackfoot this spring for some repairs. They were fast efficient and friendly in the service department. :dunno:

Mopac on the other hand has been unhelpful, unfriendly and even rude.

gamman
07-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Yes. Don't say import. Know what you want. One old guy is crotchety. I keep remembering things to buy and make him look gay stuff up. 4" fart cans. and warm air intakes. Drives him nuts

Sentry
07-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by gamman
Yes. Don't say import. Know what you want. One old guy is crotchety. I keep remembering things to buy and make him look gay stuff up. 4&quot; fart cans. and warm air intakes. Drives him nuts
Hahah, have him build a big price quote of ricey shit and then go "I'll have to think about it"

CourtX
07-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I didn't "demand" a discount I just calmly asked, since it was their screw up, if it was possible. Then the rep responds with "well what do you want me to do about it?? you either buy it or I give you store credit." They sold me the wrong part and wouldn't give me my money back so they force me to keep spending in their store. When I get pissy sales people and encounter policies where they basically steal my money and force me to buy more things I am going to complain about it.

However I did get a hold of somebody from their website that works in Edmonton and did get my cash back after waiting around in the Calgary store for 20 - 30 mins again.

A3GTiVR6SC
07-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Ah, i see nothing has changed since last time i was there 6-7yrs ago.

CTSV
07-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Well this is good to know. A few years ago I went there on a Sat afternoon. All the people were too busy talking to each other to even acknowledge my presence. I stood there for a while and then figured I'd take my business elsewhere.
Mostly, I bring stuff up from the USA. Probably spent $30K over the last year although I am afraid to figure it out!
Note, I'm an older white guy...I should be their demographic!

AE92_TreunoSC
07-07-2013, 04:45 PM
^I was a mechanic with an active account with them and they treated me like that.

I think you have to be a fat old white guy with a carb'd mustang or camaro to get good service.

rx7_turbo2
07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Not that I needed it, I've been treated like dirt there for years, but this thread has confirmed the fact it wasn't just me :rofl:

firebane
07-07-2013, 06:21 PM
I went there the other day and beside the line up I got what I wanted and left satisfied.

Knowing what you want really helps in places like this.

Ven
07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
Ah, i see nothing has changed since last time i was there 6-7yrs ago.

Just thinking the same thing while reading this. I don't know how they stay in business, with that service and those prices. JB's Power Centre might be the better alternative for brick and motor customers.

Man I miss Canadian High Performance, just like a Canadian Summit Racing back in the catalogue mail order days.

sabad66
07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Agreed - worst service ever.

I called to ask about the warranty on an optima battery I bought from them 2 years ago. I was sitting at my computer looking at the Optima website and it said to return to where you bought it, any time within the 3 years for a free replacement. Whoever I talked to was absolutely clueless and told me I had to ship it back to Optima. I told him i'm on the Optima website and it says to take it back to the retail store and suggested he check the website himself, but still wouldn't do anything with the excuse "we don't have internet access here".

So about 2 weeks later I decided to drive over, take the battery out of my car in the parking lot, haul it in, and try to get some in-person service. After waiting 20 mins, i was able to talk to someone who was in charge (I think his name was Cal or Hal), and he basically told me he couldn't do anything until he had a chance to speak with Optima the next business day. I gave him my phone number, he photocopied my receipt, and told me he would give me a call the week after.

No call at all...

Fuck Mopac. Never buying anything from there again if i can help myself.

Here's the warranty guide in case anyone cares or when Cal/Hal happens to google himself and finds this thread (hint - READ IT and UNDERSTAND IT, maybe even print a copy and keep it behind the counter):
http://d26maze4pb6to3.cloudfront.net/9613/4997/8047/Optima_Consumer_Warranty_101112.pdf