PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Philippines - Vaccines?

adam c
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Just wondering what others have got for vaccines when travelling to the Philippines, had a travel consultation today and she didn't recommend using an Malaria and showed us a map of the danger areas, but what about rabies? expensive for 3 people but the cost of death would suck

taemo
07-02-2013, 09:55 PM
when and where in the Philippines are you staying?

never had to take any vaccines when going there but maybe hepa a?
as long as you eat at a reputable place and do not drink tap water you should be fine.

maybe dengue vaccine too if it's mosquito season

adam c
07-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Mainly around Vigan city, the wife's family is out there but on a farm, possibly going to Boracay as well

I'm getting Hep A and typhoid but was wondering about the Rabies as Philippines is one of the top 10 countries in the world and with my 4 year old daughter I'm not sure?

flipstah
07-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Probably the vaccines to cover dengue and the Hep's.

Malaria isn't that big there. Don't let your daughter touch stray animals and rabies should be avoidable.

adam c
07-02-2013, 10:40 PM
there's no dengue vaccine unless i'm blind...

CompletelyNumb
07-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I went to the Philippines with no vaccines. At the time I checked the government of Canada site and they didn't have any required.

flipstah
07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by adam c
there's no dengue vaccine unless i'm blind...

My mistake. It's like West Nile with no vaccine available. I was thinking Malaria.

Just be cautious about what your kids touch and eat at clean establishments. :)

Kloubek
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I went to the Philippines with no vaccines. At the time I checked the government of Canada site and they didn't have any required.

Been there twice - both for a month. No vaccines. No problems.

DENZILDON
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Hepa a and b. From what I'm seeing as trending from FB friends kids there is on and off fever for a few days and then its gone but no actual info on what it is.

Damn your going to Vigan!!!!!!!! One of the memorable back pack trips I've been too. Very cool old houses and make sure to eat some "BAGNET"! Sooooo crissssspy!!!

http://aboutph.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bagnet_flickr.jpg

If you have time, go to Pagudpud, very clean and nice beach as long as there's no storm during your stay there.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2013, 09:34 AM
There's no cure for the 'yellow fever'.... Also sounds like you already have the full form infection complete with growths known as children..

flipstah
07-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Vigan is also a good place to buy grey-market scooters.

Don't ask how I know that. :rofl:

taemo
07-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Hepa a and b. From what I'm seeing as trending from FB friends kids there is on and off fever for a few days and then its gone but no actual info on what it is.

Damn your going to Vigan!!!!!!!! One of the memorable back pack trips I've been too. Very cool old houses and make sure to eat some "BAGNET"! Sooooo crissssspy!!!

http://aboutph.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bagnet_flickr.jpg

If you have time, go to Pagudpud, very clean and nice beach as long as there's no storm during your stay there.

looks like a giant liempo :drool:

DENZILDON
07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
You know how that is done? The scooters are dump into the sea near the Philippines and small boats retrieve them.

DENZILDON
07-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by taemo

looks like a giant liempo :drool:

It's Pork Belly, marinated, boiled and then fried a couple of times.

sooooo gooood! I should make one in the next few days, lol!!!!

flipstah
07-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
You know how that is done? The scooters are dump into the sea near the Philippines and small boats retrieve them.

So that's why you would hypothetically go to the beach at midnight. :rofl:

For eateries, if the place has A/C and the floor is clean, it's relatively safe. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
07-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Asian countries? Hep A and B are good to have.

A sizable portion of Asians are Hep A & B carriers and it spreads due to shared food without shared chopstick/utensils.

403ep3
07-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I would have to say Hep A and B.

I bought malaria pills but never used them.