PDA

View Full Version : Global Warranty?

GotRice?
07-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Anybody deal with them before? Thoughts? Scam?

http://www.globalwarranty.com/canada/customers-auto/claims.html

Just curious to see if anyone actually got warranty for their vehicle and actually had it fixed through Global Warranty.

boarderfatty
07-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I have dealt with a few of these insurance companies before through my shop. They can be decent, but you have to watch what is actually covered and how much coverage you have. There is usually a deductible and a maximum pay out. Had a guy come in with a check engine light once and wasnt covered due to the cause being routine maint which wasn't covered by his policy (it may have just been he didnt get maximum coverage) Had another case where a guy recently bought an F250 with a 5.4L gas truck. Had his cam phasers go and fucked one of his heads. the insurance covered the $3400 bill minus a $500 deductible.

They pay out according to their book times which dont necessarily match shops book times depending on whether they are using alldata mitchell etc. so if there is a difference the customer pays as well

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Most of the time they are crap, I deal with all sorts of extended warranties at work, there are a couple of good ones like FCPP and GMPP, I recommend those.

GotRice?
07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Reason I'm asking is I think that there is something wrong with my P/S and I'm not sure if it's covered under warranty. I called Global Warranty and they said that I have to goto one of their authorized shops to get a diagnostic and based on the diagnostic they will determine whether or not it's covered under warranty. That seems pretty standard and somewhat reasonable but the only thing is, alot of the shops on the list seem kind of dodgey and I don't really feel safe bringing my car there lol.

I did pay for the "Ultimate Wrap" but at the end of the day, this all seems like a waste of $$ since if anything were to go wrong. They could just say that it's due to wear & tear and not cover it. Then you would have been better off saving like 2k for the warranty and put it towards repair.
Can anyone recommend any of the shops listed below?

http://www.globalwarranty.com/canada/customers-auto/repaircentres.html

Black Gts
07-03-2013, 06:54 PM
I bought a 99 blazer with a check engine light on, I got the same warranty so I didn't even get it checked until the tranny started slipping on the highway. Global was fine it was the shop that I foolishy told I need my truck back for work in two days no exceptions, because I work on the rigs:banghead: :banghead: that called me the day of pickup and said "they didn't have the part, but we have this super awesome replacement but you'll have to pay the difference as it's not covered. You do need your truck back today don't you?"

boarderfatty
07-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?
Reason I'm asking is I think that there is something wrong with my P/S and I'm not sure if it's covered under warranty. I called Global Warranty and they said that I have to goto one of their authorized shops to get a diagnostic and based on the diagnostic they will determine whether or not it's covered under warranty. That seems pretty standard and somewhat reasonable but the only thing is, alot of the shops on the list seem kind of dodgey and I don't really feel safe bringing my car there lol.

I did pay for the "Ultimate Wrap" but at the end of the day, this all seems like a waste of $$ since if anything were to go wrong. They could just say that it's due to wear & tear and not cover it. Then you would have been better off saving like 2k for the warranty and put it towards repair.
Can anyone recommend any of the shops listed below?

http://www.globalwarranty.com/canada/customers-auto/repaircentres.html

You can go to another shop as far as I know. We are not an "approved shop" so the cost of diagnosing is on the customer not the insurance company at this point. For some stuff we would not even charge diagnosing, or other times work it into the price, worst case we have to have the customer pay for it. For bigger jobs often they will send out an appraiser if it isn't an approved shop.

For something like a power steering leak we wouldnt normally charge a diagnosing fee since identifying a problem in the Power Steering system is usually pretty quick.

Xtrema
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Most of the time they are crap, I deal with all sorts of extended warranties at work.

Care to name some good ones?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Care to name some good ones?

EDITED

D. Dub
07-04-2013, 11:10 AM
They are like any other insurance compnay - evil.

That being said I've had extended (not BMW) on two BMW's now and it's more than paid for itself every time.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
They are like any other insurance compnay - evil.

That being said I've had extended (not BMW) on two BMW's now and it's more than paid for itself every time.

I have CPO on my BMW and the first thing I got screwed on is the auto dimming mirror glasses failing, which isn't covered and those mirrors are about $500 a piece. I spent $120 a piece and put regular ones in but lost my heated mirrors as well because of that.

boarderfatty
07-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Of the ones I have dealt with at my shop, Coast to Coast has been decent to deal with.

'93 SR-V
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I bought an old explorer from a dumpy car lot and they included the global coverage on it. I had a pinion seal go and had no problem having that replaced. The intake manifold gasket went as well (diagnosed by a ford mechanic, but covered under global so I wanted to take it to one of their approved shops to have it done. That time their approved mechanic told be the flat rate paid by global wouldn't cover the time needed and if there were any seized bolts/other delays I would be on the hook for the added time those would take as well. The shop I took it to was a Husky station on Elbow drive that isn't on their list any more.

Since it came included with my truck I wasn't all that pissed off with it but I don't think I'd shell out any extra money to buy their coverage in the future!

1barA4
07-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?
I did pay for the "Ultimate Wrap" but at the end of the day, this all seems like a waste of $$ since if anything were to go wrong.

This is the first, and last, car I will ever have an extended warranty on. (I have the Ultimate Wrap as well)

$3,000 ACD pump fails and they're fighting me, and the dealership, tooth and nail. The guys at the dealership are trying to help me but the extended warranty (they sold me) is becoming enough hassle and wasted money to make me just trade this car in on a new WRX or used STI at the end of the summer.

GotRice?
07-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

You can go to another shop as far as I know. We are not an "approved shop" so the cost of diagnosing is on the customer not the insurance company at this point. For some stuff we would not even charge diagnosing, or other times work it into the price, worst case we have to have the customer pay for it. For bigger jobs often they will send out an appraiser if it isn't an approved shop.

For something like a power steering leak we wouldnt normally charge a diagnosing fee since identifying a problem in the Power Steering system is usually pretty quick.

Problem is, according to their website it has to be one of their authroized dealers. And I have to pay for the diagnostic for the first hour. They will cover it anything over that but usually shops don't go over 1 hour diagnostic anyways right? I booked an appointment at National Transmission on 14 st for Tuesday. Hopefully I don't get screwed over haha

GotRice?
07-04-2013, 04:07 PM
edit. =)

This is exactly what I'm scared of.

Black Gts
07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
National Transmission is the place that screwed me. Location off Barlow for me but watch out.