PDA

View Full Version : 17th Parking/Mirror smashing

JfuckinC
07-04-2013, 12:16 PM
If you're parked on 17th and someone takes your mirror off, how does that work through insurance? Vandalism? An accident?

Graham_A_M
07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
vandalism. Thats what happened to me with that 8th ave zombie run thing when that idiot ran out and crumpled my door.

Its not going to affect your insurance premium too which is nice. :thumbsup:

guessboi
07-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Vandalism subject to your comprehensive deductible.

JfuckinC
07-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by guessboi
Vandalism subject to your comprehensive deductible.

Weak so, so it could be 250-500 replacement...

I saw it happen today and the person just kept driving.. :thumbsdow

Zhariak
07-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Once I accidentally smoked some guys mirror... (Some douchebag in a brand new Porsche SUV was coming in to my lane so I had to squeeze as close to the parked cars as I could).

Stopped, his was metal and just pushed forward. Even though there was no damage I left a note, and called the non-emerg police line to report it (there was snow that day, so I was worried about the note washing away)...

Guy never called me...

However, on my Escalade, it caused the mirror to blow right the fuck up! lmao Cost me around $1,400 to replace. It SUCKEDDDD lmao

I get angry at those douchebags who don't leave notes... I blame the parents :)

JfuckinC
07-04-2013, 02:01 PM
The worst part was it was car on car... i drive a truck and can make it down the road without damaging other vehicles how do they fuck that up :dunno:

avow
07-04-2013, 06:42 PM
The right lane at 17th shouldn't even be considered a lane at some points.

dubhead
07-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Weak so, so it could be 250-500 replacement...

I saw it happen today and the person just kept driving.. :thumbsdow

Why didn't you chase that fool down, are you getting soft big guy?

Hallowed_point
07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by avow

x10000..it just makes it super dangerous to be in the left lane with douchebags hugging the line and darting back and forth.

My ex lost her mirror on 17 Ave..guy in his truck just kept on truckin'

93VR6
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by avow

Then drive in the left lane and let us folk with spatial awareness drive in it.

revelations
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
that lane should be for cyclists and motorbikes only
.....scary the city hasn't dome anything about this issue.

Hallowed_point
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 93VR6

the main people I see in the right lane are the dumbass cabbies why would you pick the right lane on 17 ave is my question :confused:

93VR6
07-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

the main people I see in the right lane are the dumbass cabbies why would you pick the right lane on 17 ave is my question :confused:

Change lanes, look for cabs and when you don't see any drive on through since there's usually a huge line of cars in the left lane.

frozenrice
07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I drive the right lane all the time down there. There's more room than people think except when some dumbass parks their car too far off the curb or when a cabbie pulls over to pick/drop somebody off or when the bus goes through.
I had situation #2 happen to me once. Without warning the cabbie in front of me suddenly pulls over without signaling to pick someone up at National on the corner of 5th and 17th. He didnt pull in enough and my mirror clipped his mirror as I passed by. Luckily my mirror folded in without breaking. Couldn't tell if there was any damage to the cab's mirror.

frozenrice
07-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by revelations

I like this and it would make sense if they didnt allow left hand turns on 17th. It's a pain in the ass when somebody is trying to turning left and there is 1000 cars going straight in the other direction.

AudiPWR
07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I drive in the right lane on 17th ave because there is plenty enough room for someone with spacial awareness to maneuver properly. I drive in it because of A) all the people turning from the left lane and B) because most clowns can't and don't drive it and it makes a clear path to get places faster.

spikerS
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
I understand how it can be daunting to your average Calgary driver, But I take my truck in the right lane down the entire length of 17th. Baygirl goes nuts in the passenger seat, but, meh.

only time I have EVER clipped a mirror was on 9th ave, and I was driving a semi and clipped the driver's mirror on a construction fence because another dump truck pinched me.

Tik-Tok
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Like motorbikes need a bigger reason to rip up 17th like idiots, having a lane to themselves would be nuts, lol.

They should just stop having parking on 17th. Then Nenshi could have full on bike lanes in both directions without affecting any traffic.

CompletelyNumb
07-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They should just stop having parking on 17th.

:werd:

Everything on 17th is walking distance from a parking lot. I wouldn't mind seeing it be more like Stephen Ave.

bart
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
anyone who thinks that lane is too narrow learn how to drive, if you ever driven on the autobahn during construction that is exactly the width you have to work with, so don't be renting any cars in europe now take the bus ;)

i enjoy it for me its like a carpool lane haha

dubhead
07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They should just stop having parking on 17th.

But then where are all the guidos with exotic cars supposed to go and stand by their cars all day.

Canucks3322
07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Its not smart to drive in the right lane even if you are a good driver because you still can't control morons who park too far from the curb or worse yet, people opening doors without looking, its common sense defensive driving.:rolleyes: ...to you guys bragging in this thread about your awesome skills.

rage2
07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Its not smart to drive in the right lane even if you are a good driver because you still can't control morons who park too far from the curb or worse yet, people opening doors without looking, its common sense defensive driving.:rolleyes: ...to you guys bragging in this thread about your awesome skills.
Meh, lots of room in the right lane, even if someone is parked too far from the curb, and my car is pretty wide. Most of my problems are the shitty drivers that doesn't even realize that they're straddling into the right lane from the left, because they are so spatially spaced out they have no idea where there car is on the left lane.

As for door openings, that has never been a problem for me either. It's the pedestrians jumping out between cars that's more of a frequent hazard.

rage2
07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I've got tons of these videos. I go to 17th for lunch pretty regularly, this one was from last week when I had lunch there. Had my window open trying to coach the driver to get back in his lane. Once Hyundai driver moved back into his lane properly, look how much space there is between the right of his car and the lane markers. Notice how everyone on the left lane ahead of the Hyundai is doing the same thing too, but a little less extreme.

sySbDGOzKbY

Zhariak
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Meh, lots of room in the right lane, even if someone is parked too far from the curb, and my car is pretty wide. Most of my problems are the shitty drivers that doesn't even realize that they're straddling into the right lane from the left, because they are so spatially spaced out they have no idea where there car is on the left lane.

As for door openings, that has never been a problem for me either. It's the pedestrians jumping out between cars that's more of a frequent hazard.

How true is that! lol I totally agree!

When I'm in the left lane on 17th, I'm almost touching the yellow center markers, plenty of room to the right...

Whenever I'm in the right lane, all the time people in the left hug the right side... It's not a big deal, but thats where most of the issue is.

shakalaka
07-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Why didn't you honk at him and tell him to get back in his lane? I would be so pissed!

rage2
07-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Why didn't you honk at him and tell him to get back in his lane? I would be so pissed!
It happens so often that it's not even worth honking at anymore. You run into at least 1 or 2 cars every block that does this, so you just look like a huge d-bag honking all the way down 17th. I'm douchey enough already lol.

Canucks3322
07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I've got tons of these videos. I go to 17th for lunch pretty regularly, this one was from last week when I had lunch there. Had my window open trying to coach the driver to get back in his lane. Once Hyundai driver moved back into his lane properly, look how much space there is between the right of his car and the lane markers. Notice how everyone on the left lane ahead of the Hyundai is doing the same thing too, but a little less extreme.

sySbDGOzKbY

Haha wow can't say I've encountered that...see thats another risk what if the guy beside drifts into your lane without warning...not worth the trouble, Id just avoid 17 th or drive in the left lane to be safe...

Zhariak
07-08-2013, 06:38 AM
That video and the commentary was fucking awesome!

You can't honk at them, might spook them which will make them further come on in to your lane!

rage2
07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Haha wow can't say I've encountered that...see thats another risk what if the guy beside drifts into your lane without warning...not worth the trouble, Id just avoid 17 th or drive in the left lane to be safe...
While the drivers aren't spatially aware, my car is loud enough that they can hear me because I rock 1st gear all the way down 17th lol. No lane drifting incidents so far. So ya, loud pipes saves lives? :rofl:

Tik-Tok
07-08-2013, 09:02 AM

loud pipes saves fenders! :rofl:

Fixed.

M.alex
07-08-2013, 10:55 AM

sySbDGOzKbY

Meanwhile the guy at the beginning in the parked van is looking at you like 'WTF stupid cocksucker, how can I get out of my van with you there' :rofl:

JfuckinC
07-08-2013, 01:40 PM

Fuck me, i nailed some DUDE with my mirror on saturday! He stepped out from behind a truck without looking on a side street off 17th when me and another car were passing each other... So i pulled over and he jumps in his car and drives up to me like he's going to jump and and try and fight me haha.. i felt so bad but then he started giving me shit for driving too fast (30kph?) and too close to the parked cars...

I was like mother fucker! you stepped out without looking! What an idiot. Didn't feel bad anymore. :banghead:

flipstah
07-08-2013, 02:34 PM

I agree. That right lane on 17th with parallel parking isn't as narrow as you'd think.

If you drive fast enough (40-45kph feels about right), you can pick up whenever someone opens their door/drunkards pop up out of nowhere. Fast enough to get the flow moving but slow enough to react and brake.

If someone has their door open, I eat a little bit of the left lane to pass, but only if it's safe to do so (no one beside me). If not, I just wait and the cars behind me get the idea and switch lanes if they want to.

If you do mirror checks, have your horn ready, you can cruise by on the right lane pretty efficiently. Easier if you're looking for a spot too.

When I park parallel, I fold my side mirror in because I've seen clipped side mirrors to many times.

In general, I just hate it when idiots hail a cab, thinking that it's a one-lane. Then give you the dirty look even though you're in the right of way.

Drive safe! :thumbsup:

Zhariak
07-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Fuck me, i nailed some DUDE with my mirror on saturday! He stepped out from behind a truck without looking on a side street off 17th when me and another car were passing each other... So i pulled over and he jumps in his car and drives up to me like he's going to jump and and try and fight me haha.. i felt so bad but then he started giving me shit for driving too fast (30kph?) and too close to the parked cars...

I was like mother fucker! you stepped out without looking! What an idiot. Didn't feel bad anymore. :banghead:

Those are the same idiots that put those detergent pods in reach of their children, then complain when their kids eat them saying it's not their fault...

face to the palm....

flipstah
07-13-2013, 08:49 AM

While the drivers aren't spatially aware, my car is loud enough that they can hear me because I rock 1st gear all the way down 17th lol. No lane drifting incidents so far. So ya, loud pipes saves lives? :rofl:

I found my incentive to get a new exhaust :love: :rofl:

snowcat
07-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote for the mother fucking truth.

Both lanes, the ENTIRE way, have more than enough room.

If I can drive my big ass fucking car in the right lane, so can all you idiots with civics.

Jesus fuck.

snowcat
07-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Too many idiots on 17th ave during stampede. Green light for me and some cars, after the cars were done, 15-20 people decided to jaywalk. They didn't care a bike was coming at them.

I hope they get hit.