PDA

View Full Version : Any glaziers on beyond?

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 10:29 AM
The current job I'm doing is using 3'x10' "sheets" of porcelain tile. Obviously there are no saws or cutters to handle this stuff so I'm cutting them with a glass cutter.
Are all glass cutters the same? Can I just use the Home Depot $8 cutter? Or is there a more professional cutter? Do I get it at a glaziers supplier? If so, who sells retail?

Each sheet is worth $500, so I'm not too anxious to just "try out" a cheapy and risk ruining one of my sheets, if there are better ones out there.

AndyL
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Cr lawrence - little bit south of the south princess auto...

I've run 1/2" through a tile cutter with a good diamond blade successfully for aquarium projects...

JRSC00LUDE
07-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Holy shit, is this on a floor Dave?!

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Cr lawrence - little bit south of the south princess auto...

I've run 1/2" through a tile cutter with a good diamond blade successfully for aquarium projects...

I'll give them a call. Yes tile saws work great on glass. But these sheets are ten feet long, won't fit in any saws. Cuts have to be perfectly straight.

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Holy shit, is this on a floor Dave?!
This job is the master shower. Walls and ceiling. Next job is a kitchen back splash!!

AndyL
07-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

I'll give them a call. Yes tile saws work great on glass. But these sheets are ten feet long, won't fit in any saws. Cuts have to be perfectly straight.

no i was running 1/2" porcelain tiles (12") spliting them in 4

theres a lovely circular saw with water feed and based on a typical makita (so it takes the fancy guides ) that would probably work for what your doing...

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

no i was running 1/2" porcelain tiles (12") spliting them in 4

theres a lovely circular saw with water feed and based on a typical makita (so it takes the fancy guides ) that would probably work for what your doing...

Yeah...the Ryobi circular saw with water feed and diamond blade. I have one. Pure crap. Tried using it on my 48" tile...chips the edges, and even with a straight edge, it's too easy to wander off the edge. Even a 1mm variance shows up when against Schluter edging.
These sheets have to be cut with a "score n snap" method. Hence a good glass cutter is required.

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
GoddamnsonofabitchcockmotherFUCK!!!!!!!!

There goes $500 out the window and the first sheet down the tubes.
I'm fucking going home. :banghead: :banghead:

Tomaz
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
What did you do? ....

How did you break it?....

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Used a glass cutter. First cut worked alright, but that was a 4' cut. Next cut, fuckin split completely away from the score.
Problem is, this porcelain has a "pebbled" surface. So to get a perfectly smooth, straight, continuous score is next to impossible.
Now I wait 10 days for another piece to come in from Toronto.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/null-4.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/null-3.jpg

FraserB
07-05-2013, 01:38 PM
What about securing a straight edge along the cut path, then a second next to it so the cutter can fit between them on the desired line? I think if it’s only wide enough for the cutting blade, it would keep it straight. Or even cut a bit outside the line and touch up with a wheel on a Dremel?

JRSC00LUDE
07-05-2013, 01:51 PM
If you did your homework and knew all your cuts (may not be possible on a job like that....?) could a water-jet do that material safely?

legendboy
07-05-2013, 05:40 PM
did you have the sheet sitting on a flat table when you tried to snap it?

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
did you have the sheet sitting on a flat table when you tried to snap it?

Sitting flat, on the floor on a sheet of styrofoam. Don't have a 10 foot table on the job site. But lifted it enough to get the "breaker" under it. an inch, maybe? The first piece snapped fine. It was the second and third that sheered into the "good" side.

sr20s14zenki
07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
If you did your homework and knew all your cuts (may not be possible on a job like that....?) could a water-jet do that material safely?

+1 for that. Water jet is sooo nice.

C_Dave45
07-05-2013, 06:41 PM

That would be awesome, except for the fact that most of the cuts can't be known until the previous piece is put in place. There's not one full piece. Out of the 5 pieces required, I need about 25 different cuts.
Not to mention there's just no room in my bid to accommodate laser cutting.
But no...that's not an option.

sxtasy
07-05-2013, 09:53 PM
the Ryobi ...Pure crap.
:werd: anything Ryobi is crap. Flex makes some nice wet cutting tools. I also have a wet cut bridge saw, cuts 3' lengths, but I'm assuming you will need to cut full 10' lengths?

Maybe try granite shops with bigger bridge saws

project240
07-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy

:werd: anything Ryobi is crap.

Not true... I have a kick ass ryobi flashlight, everything else is crap. Hope you're able to figure something out...

JRSC00LUDE
07-06-2013, 10:00 AM

That would be awesome, except for the fact that most of the cuts can't be known until the previous piece is put in place. There's not one full piece. Out of the 5 pieces required, I need about 25 different cuts.
Not to mention there's just no room in my bid to accommodate laser cutting.
But no...that's not an option.

Kind of figured as much but, you never know.... :)

Looking forward to seeing when you finish, that's ambitious!

C_Dave45
07-13-2013, 12:15 PM
*edited*