PDA

View Full Version : Scooter

eblend
07-06-2013, 07:33 PM
So been thinking about getting a scooter recently. Just for small commutes to the train station, or to my parent's place ect. Wife uses the car all the time, and I don't want to have a second car for the few odd times I need it when she is at work. I have my dad's van in the garage as well which I use now, but that thing eats like 20L of gas for 100km, so I really hate driving it for small stuff when I don't need to carry anything.

I am not interested in a motorbike, but rather a scooter and don't know anything about them. Looking for advice on what to get.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2013, 07:54 PM
I always thought a scooter would be sweet for those short trips in town, and maybe for the five KM to downtown five days a week. I also know nothing about them.

Unknown303
07-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I owned one and it was hilarious to ride around on. Route planning is a little more important to make sure you don't have to dive onto a fast road. But just for commuting around your community they are great.

roll_over
07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
You mean something under 50cc because then route planning is A big thing. The ruckus has a top speed of 65(stock), pre 09 have a poor crankcase vent design and is known cause the main bearing to fail. There is no oil filter only a screen so this also contributes to the problem. There is a huge aftermarket for the ruckus but most of the time things are sold out. Five dollars to fill and it gets 200+ kms

Graham_A_M
07-07-2013, 12:11 AM
^ Get a new(er) Ruckus. Out of ALL the scooters, those are the only non-gay options. They look cool, their fun, and their great for your sort of thing. I just about rented one in Waterton park yesterday. Seem like a blast. Tons of upgrades too so you can go somewhat decent speeds and not have to limit your routes to only residential roads.
not only the Ruckus can do 65, but I had a friend in Junior high with a bone stock '89 Yamaha Jog, it too could do 65 stock, which was pretty cool, gayness aside I mean for how it looked.

delco21
07-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I've owned 2 scooters and I loved them they were fun for commuting

Personally I would get the Aprilia SR50 it is faster then the others mine would do 80KMh and mine never had any issues you can find them on KIJIJI

They are oil injected which is nice so you don't need to premix your fuel like on some older scooters

Seth1968
07-07-2013, 07:26 AM
My gf has Yamaha BWS scooter. I've taken it out a few times, and it's a blast to drive. Gas cost is so low, that you could almost consider it free.

The only down side is that she's almost been driven off the road quite a few times, although I'm not sure if it was intentional or not:). More specifically, driving beside a car and they change lanes without shoulder checking.

Unknown303
07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
You mean something under 50cc because then route planning is A big thing. The ruckus has a top speed of 65(stock), pre 09 have a poor crankcase vent design and is known cause the main bearing to fail. There is no oil filter only a screen so this also contributes to the problem. There is a huge aftermarket for the ruckus but most of the time things are sold out. Five dollars to fill and it gets 200+ kms

:werd: I had a 50cc Yamaha BWS. The Ruckus is by far the coolest looking Scooter you can get. But for top speed as someone mentioned the Aprilia is king.

Isaiah
07-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Do you need a class 6 for a scooter?

Unknown303
07-07-2013, 08:58 AM
I believe if it's under 50cc you don't. But something changed a few years back about this. I can't remember if they classified as a motorcycle before but don't now or the other way around.

D'z Nutz
07-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Haha I just searched up the Ruckus and these things can be made up to look pretty cool! Some nice fat tires can go along way.

http://f.a.d-cd.net/84ca3eu-960.jpg

http://young.rzd.ru/dbmm/images/41/4080/6808763

http://www.madeintegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/honda-ruckus-custom-for-salethe-honda-ruckus-cafe-risque-custom-scooter-scooterfile-wyhgmrng-1024x481.jpg

Unknown303
07-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Looks like if it's under 50cc it's classified as a moped and can be operated with a class 7, 6, or 5.

Graham_A_M
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
^ Yeah, all you need is your learners (Class 7) or 5 or 6 to ride. Thats why you'd often see 14 year old with their learners riding them around. Basically it has to be under 50cc (so 49 in these cases), without a transmission to put power to the ground, and shouldn't exceed 50kph. So Im really surprised that Aprillia does, and does a whopping 80. But under those provisions, you can operate them with only a class 7.

I REALLY wish we had the Aprilia SR50's and the Ruckus' back when I was 14. Both are just worlds cooler then the late 80's early 90's Jap ones people had.

Unknown303
07-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Yeah, all you need is your learners (Class 7) or 5 or 6 to ride. Thats why you'd often see 14 year old with their learners riding them around. Basically it has to be under 50cc (so 49 in these cases), without a transmission to put power to the ground, and shouldn't exceed 50kph. So Im really surprised that Aprillia does, and does a whopping 80. But under those provisions, you can operate them with only a class 7.

I REALLY wish we had the Aprilia SR50's and the Ruckus' back when I was 14. Both are just worlds cooler then the late 80's early 90's Jap ones people had.

The speed is actually 70km/h from what I can tell.

From http://www.servicealberta.ca/drivers_licence.cfm#Class_7_Licence

Class 7 Licence

Permits an operator to drive:

A moped
A motor vehicle referred to in the Class 5 category, as a learner only
A motorcycle, as a learner only, if the operator is at least 16 years of age
The minimum learning or licensing age is 14.

Requirements: written test and vision screening.

From http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1023.htm

MOPEDS
(includes limited speed motorcycles)
Definition Motorcycles in this category, that meet the requirements of the
limited-speed motorcycle definition of Transport Canada, can be
identified by the federally required compliance label ‘LSM’ in the
vehicle-type section of the label.
Powered by Electric motor, or has an engine that has a displacement of not
more than 50 cc (cubic centimeters).
Other Minimum seat height of 65 cm from the ground.
Speed Top speed of 70 km/h
Weight Can be any weight

roll_over
07-07-2013, 03:52 PM
D'z nuts all of those have been swapped with a 150cc and thousands of dollars in modification. The BWS is a nice scooter too more bang for your buck. OP I know you said you didn't want a motor bike but the new honda grom is pretty sweet.

Modelexis
07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I think one of these would be cool to tool around downtown in:

but probably too slow for your needs

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/905627905/scrooser-urban-mobility

http://twwhlspls.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2206_Scrooser_01.jpg

Graham_A_M
07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
^hahaha. Cool what is that?

Originally posted by Unknown303

The speed is actually 70km/h from what I can tell.

From http://www.servicealberta.ca/drivers_licence.cfm#Class_7_Licence

From http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/1023.htm

They must have changed a lot since I was 14 with my learners. :dunno: In 16 years a lot can change in terms of laws.
Oh well, whatever.

ercchry
07-07-2013, 09:31 PM
old school mopeds are pretty cool... in some states, where you dont need insurance or registration on them. but up here, just get a real bike.

4yCDYrON3-k

Sugarphreak
07-08-2013, 12:26 PM

ercchry
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I would be all for riding one of these to work in the summer, but how to get downtown... all the communities are sealed off, you can't take them on the pathways, and feeder roads are all typically 80km.

where are you now? probably a few options, but it will be a little convoluted

FraserB
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
If I was working downtown I'd be all over this. Straight shot down Elbow, 50kph all the way to the core.

bjstare
07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
@op: Ruckus if you don't want to look like TOO much of a tool; BWS if you don't give a shit how much of a tool you look like. I went to Uni in Victoria, and BWS's were absolutely everywhere there, and some with a ton of km's on them. Which would indicate they're pretty reliable.

In any case, if you wind up doing this and haven't already done so - take a riding course. It will benefit you, and the drivers of cars that may otherwise run you over.

Phihalo
07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
this sparks interest for me as well... do you need a license plate on them?

ercchry
07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Phihalo
this sparks interest for me as well... do you need a license plate on them?

YES! there is honestly no reason to have one instead of a real bike up here unless you are a 14 year old. the only difference is a simple 15min written test and a 20min road test

turbotrip
07-08-2013, 05:04 PM
scooters are baddass, i rent one whenever possible in resort towns. in the city though would be questionable.

eblend
07-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
@op: Ruckus if you don't want to look like TOO much of a tool; BWS if you don't give a shit how much of a tool you look like. I went to Uni in Victoria, and BWS's were absolutely everywhere there, and some with a ton of km's on them. Which would indicate they're pretty reliable.

In any case, if you wind up doing this and haven't already done so - take a riding course. It will benefit you, and the drivers of cars that may otherwise run you over.

Looking like a tool no longer concerns me haha, got noone to impress. Married and all that, just looking for cheap transport :D

How about those 150cc scooters, seems like everyone only talking about 50cc.

ercchry
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by eblend

Looking like a tool no longer concerns me haha, got noone to impress. Married and all that, just looking for cheap transport :D

How about those 150cc scooters, seems like everyone only talking about 50cc.

over 50cc=motor cycle license... so yeah, get a real bike! and by real i mean like a 250cc dual sport or something.

like this:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2009-Yamaha-XT250-Dual-Sport-3-200-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ502093231

at least there is fun things you can do with it. large tires are great for our shit roads, nice and light to throw around...

eblend
07-08-2013, 10:29 PM
My problem with motorcycles is the rear brake with a foot.....and gears haha. I don't really know how it all works....

I know a scooter is like one gear and bike style breaks, so feels like i don't have to learn anything new.

ercchry
07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
thats no fun...

if you can drive a manual car, its not that crazy of a jump

eblend
07-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
thats no fun...

if you can drive a manual car, its not that crazy of a jump

I can drive a manual....but you wouldn't want me to drive YOUR manual haha. I prefer the automatic for everything, makes my life easier.

Graham_A_M
07-08-2013, 11:13 PM
^ A guy I used to work with has a Suzuki Burgman 400cc (or maybe 600cc) scooter. He gets laughed at regularly with it. Rightfully so as its the biggest porpoise and idiotic thing you'd ever see. If you need a scooter that big, get a bike. I'd be happy to teach you how to properly ride it. :)

revelations
07-09-2013, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by delco21
I've owned 2 scooters and I loved them they were fun for commuting

Personally I would get the Aprilia SR50 it is faster then the others mine would do 80KMh and mine never had any issues you can find them on KIJIJI

They are oil injected which is nice so you don't need to premix your fuel like on some older scooters

Damn that looks pretty decent for scooter trash .... :nut:

fiveowed
07-09-2013, 12:47 AM
I had one of these when I was 14, still classed as a scooter, because its a 50cc but looks like a 125 dirtbikehttp://motorcycle-specs.com/general/Yamaha_DT50_1988.jpg this

roll_over
07-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Pretty off topic but is there any other ruckus owner on here besides me?

Graham_A_M
07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
A rather interesting one ebay right now. Man if I had this at 14, I'd be giddy happy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Other-Honda-Ruckus-GY6-150cc-Custom-Scooter-/171078043660?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27d50bc80c&vxp=mtr

Found this one too. My jaw dropped (out of pity) when I read it has a 400 watt stereo, then I saw it was from Florida and it all made sense at that point. :banghead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Built-Motorcycles-Honda-Ruckus-49cc-GET-/261247596312?pt=Scooters_Mopeds&hash=item3cd391f718&vxp=mtr

If you check on ebay for "Honda Ruckus" you'll see they have a dark grey 250cc one there in Oklahoma. I guess those are called "Big Ruckus" 's. Strange, I've never heard of one nor seen one in person. Looks still cool for a much bigger scooter.

Interesting, since Im out in Sask, I have my Kijiji settings left on "Sask" as default, then I found these.
http://saskatchewan.kijiji.ca/f-honda-ruckus-Classifieds-W0QQKeywordZhondaQ20ruckusQQisSearchFormZtrue

If anybody wants me to pick one up and bring it back to Calgary, PM me. I'll be coming back in a week or so.

kevie88
07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Big ruckus was sold here too.

I have a 150cc PGO (Taiwanese pos) that I bought for next to nothing, pay almost nothing to insure, and uses almost no gas. It's great. I'd recommend a 150cc or up scooter, it's much more usable around town (mine goes almost 100kph with my fat ass on it) and you can get your class 6 on them no problem.

It's a super fun alternative to a full size bike, and if you can get a few skilled motorcycle riders on a few scooters, mayhem always ensues haha

Seth1968
07-21-2013, 11:09 AM
It's hilarious when you're driving a scooter and a guy on a bike accidentally gives you a bike wave.

MK1GTI
07-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I used an Aprilia Scarabeo 200 scooter as a commuter when I lived in Vancouver and it was great, super cheap to run and insure (ICBC tends to be ridiculous when it comes to insuring a motorcycle). I'd definitely ride one again.

r3ccOs
07-22-2013, 05:12 AM
150cc+ is a must if you ever, ever get into a situation where you are anywhere near a 100k strip of road or 80km and there is any elevation

those honda cy150 replica engines (used in all those chinese replica's) are actually quite reliable and moddable apparently

I used to have a BWS in winnipeg, did the malossi 70cc cylinder, jets, instake, larger carb, exhaust, variator, spring upgrades... and it could motor
fastest it got to, was about 125km which is plenty for in the city...
in fact with the higher rear spring, I could wheelie without shifting weight lol

it was great on gas, but it really is like a 4 liter tank and in this city I'd recommend more power.

in fact.. I'd suggest just going for a 500cc motorcycle anyday

ercchry
07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

in fact.. I'd suggest just going for a 500cc motorcycle anyday

:werd:

still stupid cheap on fuel and insurance.

this thing costs me a whopping $230/year to insure :eek:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/164414_10151776542013638_1363558683_n.jpg

500cc, 50hp (well, it WAS... back in 1979). just a blast to ride. i've only done 30kms on it so far. so not sure how much on gas yet.

Bladeh
07-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Can you do a road test on a 150cc scooter?

Graham_A_M
07-22-2013, 09:01 PM
^ anything bigger then 49cc, yes you do.

Disoblige
07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
For a Class 6 test, the motorcycle must be able to reach a speed of 70 km/h and have a minimum engine displacement of 49 CC.

Can your scooter go 70 k? Hahaha