PDA

View Full Version : Need a witness to an accident

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I am looking for anybody who witnessed an accident at Memorial Drive right under the 14th street overpass at 8 am on Monday July 8 2013. I need a witness who saw a black Dodge Dakota accelerate the second a silver Dodge Ram signaled to make a lane change from the RH lane to the LH lane, and subsequently hit me and spun me around into the WB lanes, thankfully nobody got hurt and there was no WB traffic at that time. Police say it was my fault but I disagree, I was in a bigger truck and the force needed for a smaller truck to spin me around upon contact, could not have been exerted by me side swiping him as opposed to him accelerating when I signaled my lane change. He ended up high centered on the median under the overpass, my thoughts are had I hit him, HE would have been spun around the wrong way into oncoming traffic. He needed to be going faster than that to high center himself, no? I got an unsafe lane change ticket (fair enough) but leaves me to wonder why he didn't get a following too close ticket. Also if anybody noticed a stockbroker-type douchebag with pretty hair and a faggoty salmon shirt in white Benz SUV tailgating me, please come forward, as this all started with me trying to put some distance between me and Mr. Stockbroker in the Benz who's, in true Calgarian driver's fashion, time was clearly more valuable than anybody else's on the road at that time. He was racing up to the end of the narrowing lane, like he was more important that anyone on the road. My gf saw you laughing when this happened, I'm glad I made your day, I'm here to help lol. You NEED people like me fuckwad. Oh and BTW my truck suffered only minor cosmetic damage, I could fix it all in an afternoon. New box, new bumper, new tail light. Hell that tailgate didn't even get affected. This happened at exactly 8 am. Thank you.

ercchry
07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
you leave your lane. you are at fault, pretty simple :dunno:

the good news i guess is that cops dont place blame. the insurance companies decide, but if you got fined and he didnt thats pretty simple

turbotrip
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
i will pretend to have witnessed it for a handsome fee

Tik-Tok
07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
If he accelerated when you put your signal on, wouldn't he be beside you when you started changing lanes? Unless of course you only had your signal on for a split second before starting the lane change.

kvg
07-08-2013, 11:07 AM
^this

FraserB
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
So he was behind you and you saw him accelerate the second you turned on your indicator and you still decided it would be a good idea to try and and change lanes?

I'd say the reason he didn't get a ticket for following too close was that he wasn't following you and you changed lanes when it wasn't safe to do so.

spikerS
07-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
I am looking for anybody who witnessed an accident at Memorial Drive right under the 14th street overpass at 8 am on Monday July 8 2013. I need a witness who saw a black Dodge Dakota accelerate the second a silver Dodge Ram signaled to make a lane change from the RH lane to the LH lane, and subsequently hit me and spun me around into the WB lanes, thankfully nobody got hurt and there was no WB traffic at that time. Police say it was my fault but I disagree, I was in a bigger truck and the force needed for a smaller truck to spin me around upon contact, could not have been exerted by me side swiping him as opposed to him accelerating when I signaled my lane change. He ended up high centered on the median under the overpass, my thoughts are had I hit him, HE would have been spun around the wrong way into oncoming traffic. He needed to be going faster than that to high center himself, no? I got an unsafe lane change ticket (fair enough) but leaves me to wonder why he didn't get a following too close ticket. Also if anybody noticed a stockbroker-type douchebag with pretty hair and a faggoty salmon shirt in white Benz SUV tailgating me, please come forward, as this all started with me trying to put some distance between me and Mr. Stockbroker in the Benz who's, in true Calgarian driver's fashion, time was clearly more valuable than anybody else's on the road at that time. He was racing up to the end of the narrowing lane, like he was more important that anyone on the road. My gf saw you laughing when this happened, I'm glad I made your day, I'm here to help lol. You NEED people like me fuckwad. Oh and BTW my truck suffered only minor cosmetic damage, I could fix it all in an afternoon. New box, new bumper, new tail light. Hell that tailgate didn't even get affected. This happened at exactly 8 am. Thank you.

Wow, everyone else's fault but your own eh?

ercchry
07-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If he accelerated when you put your signal on, wouldn't he be beside you when you started changing lanes? Unless of course you only had your signal on for a split second before starting the lane change.

trying to decipher this story... i'd say our good friend vince was up to his usual coal rolling douchebagery and was in a lane that ended. mr. dakota was in the proper lane and was like "yo, this asshole is going to try and squeeze in front of me and i will be trapped behind his stupid fucking diesel and get smoked out all the way to work. im not letting him in"

then vince was like "my diesel is so sick i can out accelerate this asshole and cut him off" then he hit him

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Millions of variables I guess. I'm just thankful there wasn't a 5 ton WB at that moment or my GF would be at the ME's office by now. To be perfectly honest, I think blame should be 50/50 here, I had the stockbroker on my ass hard and a dump truck in front of me, wanted out of that situation asap. I signaled much more than a split second ahead and I am certain that when I did, I had safe distance.

FraserB
07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Millions of variables I guess. I'm just thankful there wasn't a 5 ton WB at that moment or my GF would be at the ME's office by now. To be perfectly honest, I think blame should be 50/50 here, I had the stockbroker on my ass hard and a dump truck in front of me, wanted out of that situation asap. I signaled much more than a split second ahead and I am certain that when I did, I had safe distance.

How does any of that matter? You clearly saw him accelerating, yet still changed lanes. Being tailgated or having a vehicle in front of you doesn't reduce your responsibility.

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

trying to decipher this story... i'd say our good friend vince was up to his usual coal rolling douchebagery and was in a lane that ended. mr. dakota was in the proper lane and was like "yo, this asshole is going to try and squeeze in front of me and i will be trapped behind his stupid fucking diesel and get smoked out all the way to work. im not letting him in"

then vince was like "my diesel is so sick i can out accelerate this asshole and cut him off" then he hit him

Did you even read the post there princess? It was the stockbroker faggot in the Benz who raced up the lane.

The silver truck is bone stock, it does not and cannot roll coal.

Are you a Patron Saint model crotch rocket enthusiast who's never pulled a d-bag move? I'm gonna take a wild guess here, shot in the dark. NO?

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

How does any of that matter? You clearly saw him accelerating, yet still changed lanes. Being tailgated or having a vehicle in front of you doesn't reduce your responsibility.

I get that. But I had safe distance when I signaled.

Kg810
07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Wow, everyone else's fault but your own eh?

Never said that. Just be nice to have a witness who saw it differently. The other guy does. Let's be real here how does a Dakota spin around a 3500 with his foot off the gas? IMO it can't happen. I'm no collision expert but c'mon, that fact deserves more in-depth examination.

spikerS
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM

I get that. But I had safe distance when I signaled.

Wow, by that mentality, i am going to drive around with my hazzards on 24/7 just in case at some point I want to change lanes, that way, when I have an accident, I can use that defense.

But officer, it was safe to change lanes when I activated my hazzard lights!

in my driveway!

2 hours ago!

FraserB
07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, he did hit you. No, he is not at fault.

The fact is that you changed lanes when it was unsafe to do so and caused a collision. Even if he did accelerate when he saw you signal, it's not illegal and you could have waited until it was safe.

lasimmon
07-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I feel like the reply's in this thread would be significantly different if a different user made the thread. :drama:

7thgenvic
07-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I have read the post a few times. I can't see it being anyone's fault but yours...If you were so concerned about the guy behind you tailing you then you should have simply slowed down or tapped your brakes.....

Instead you went to cut off another driver and didn't shoulder check...

Makes sense to me.....

You screwed up...Now pull the tampon out and take it like a man.

ercchry
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Never said that. Just be nice to have a witness who saw it differently. The other guy does. Let's be real here how does a Dakota spin around a 3500 with his foot off the gas? IMO it can't happen. I'm no collision expert but c'mon, that fact deserves more in-depth examination.

you have no weight over the rear of the truck, you basically PIT maneuvered yourself

doesnt matter if the guy was on the gas your not. you have no right to that lane, its up to you to make sure no one was in it before moving over.

there is a reason people downtown only signal as they are changing lanes, not prior.

you give notice that you are coming over 7/10 chance that the person you are trying to get in front of will close the gap

spikerS
07-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I feel like the reply's in this thread would be significantly different if a different user made the thread. :drama:

nope, I treat all idiots equally.

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you give notice that you are coming over 7/10 chance that the person you are trying to get in front of will close the gap

True. Also douchebaggery at its finest right there.

"I don't owe this person who signaled with appropriate distance the lane so fuck him/her"

Well that attitude could have cost buddy his life. My chosen course of action could have cost me mine and/or my gf's.

Courtesy, as much as it wasn't owed to me, could have avoided this. But Calgarians don't know the first fuckin thing about courtesy on the road.

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM

nope, I treat all idiots equally.

No, more like you hide behind the web and be a total fuckwad. Everyone knows who I am, what I do, where I live, how 'bout you?

FraserB
07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
So if you saw he had accelerated and there wasn't as much room left, why did you try and change lanes?

I'd say that you thought if he saw you in a bigger truck moving over, he'd get intimidated and slow down and let you in.

Tik-Tok
07-08-2013, 12:13 PM

No, more like you hide behind the web and be a total fuckwad. Everyone knows who I am, what I do, where I live, how 'bout you?

Most of Beyond does actually. Spikers isn't a keyboard warrior (I am though :rofl: )

Quiet10
07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Sorry, you lane changed while it was unsafe, as said above a few other times. Sorry to hear you guys got into a dangerous situation where it was absolutely not necessary. Glad to hear you're OK though.

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
So if you saw he had accelerated and there wasn't as much room left, why did you try and change lanes?

I'd say that you thought if he saw you in a bigger truck moving over, he'd get intimidated and slow down and let you in.

Not a question of intimidation, more like pure physics and logic. If I see a 5 ton moving over and he shouldn't be, yet still going for it, fuckin rights I'll slow down and let him in.

Entitled to the lane, yes. Was I in the wrong? Looks that way. Entitlement almost cost him his life. Will I think about it next time? Hell yeah. My premiums are gonna go up now. Will he? I hope so, but I seriously doubt it, as his entitlement of not being at fault will certainly not enlighten him to the concept of courtesy on the road.

FraserB
07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Lol, entitlement has nothing to do with this situation.

Canucks3322
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Why is OP mad at gay folks too?

Tik-Tok
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh, and heavyfuel, if you are tired of "stockbrokers" tail gating you, just set something up like I have, it's very efficient.

C2Ye01uhydg

Strider
07-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Nah... most of Beyond is pretty quick to jump on the blame the OP bandwagon. The fact that OP was at fault, his demeanour, and his animosity towards those with an affinity for nicer vehicles and better style make it easy to stay on the bandwagon.

He's the anonymous fuckwad that offers his time and truck to help complete strangers haul stuff, arranges group buys, and picks up beyonders' shipments from Sweetgrass Montana... all while hiding behind the web :rolleyes:

G-ZUS
07-08-2013, 12:50 PM
OP, how do you know it was a stockbroker in the Mercedes?

C_Dave45
07-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I bet the dodge Dakota was a homeowner and landlord as well. Bastard.

:rofl:

G-ZUS
07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
LOL @ OP calling Spikers fuckwad :rofl:

Sugarphreak
07-08-2013, 12:56 PM

spikerS
07-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Most of Beyond does actually. Spikers isn't a keyboard warrior (I am though :rofl: )

Originally posted by Strider

He's the anonymous fuckwad that offers his time and truck to help complete strangers haul stuff, arranges group buys, and picks up beyonders' shipments from Sweetgrass Montana... all while hiding behind the web :rolleyes:

shhh, please don't tell the scary coal man where I live.

I don't hide behind the anonymity of the 'net. You want to play the tough guy, and too lazy to search Beyond, I am sure 3 out of 5 members here can give you my address if you want to talk.

FYI, you are still an idiot for thinking this is anyone's fault but your own.

Boosted131
07-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Couldn't a Dakota easily spin a ram if it was hit like a pit manover? The weight difference is only like 20 percent .

Stealth22
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
(Apologies in advance...this post turned out WAY longer than I planned) I was involved in a similar accident last year.

It was the middle of rush hour, and I was changing the lanes from left to right. When I looked over my shoulder, I had a gap of about 3 car lengths. The driver behind in the right lane saw my signal, and deliberately sped up to avoid letting me in. The problem was, he floored it when I was halfway into my lane change, and hit my rear quarter panel, just as my lane change was complete. My only regret was, if I had made the lane change a bit faster, the accident might have been avoided.

The damage was minor because speeds were low, and no one was hurt. In typical douchebag fashion, the other driver blamed me. I didn't respond to his rudeness, and I had to ask him 3 times for his license, registration, and proof of insurance. The first two times, I was polite. The third time, I said "Sir, this is the third time I'm asking you. I need to see your license, registration, (he tries to interrupt) AND proof of insurance. If I have to ask you again, I'll be calling the police." (I did call them anyway, but as expected, they said to exchange information and move on)

Naturally, both of us thought the other was at fault. I showed the photos and dashcam video to a police officer known by most regular Beyond members. He said he wasn't 100% sure, but he thought I might be at fault, although the insurance company may (or may not) see it different. I thought "Oh well, let insurance handle it, and if I'm at fault, I'm at fault."

The difference in my case, though, I made the lane change because I felt I had enough room, and I had a dashcam to prove my case. The insurance companies eventually found the other driver 100% at fault. Best $50 I ever spent!

Back on topic though...from what you're saying, it seems like you signalled just as he sped up, and you changed lanes anyway. I hate to be one of many bearers of bad news, but I'd say you are at fault. And by the way, a cop with an SUV can spin out your truck with a simple PIT maneuver.

It doesn't matter if you have an asshole tailgating you or not. You're responsible for your set of 4 wheels at all times, even if the other truck driver is being a dick. If you have a guy tailgating you, brake check him. If he isn't paying attention and hits you, that's completely his fault. Dump truck ahead of you? You can't win 'em all, and this ain't the Daytona 500. Wait for dipshit in the Dakota to pass you, and change lanes behind him. But watch out for Mr. Stockbroker in the Benz, who'll be moving left to go around you and the dump truck. :burnout:

I'm not trying to be rude or anything...just telling you like it is. Sure, you see the accident differently, and if you plead your case well enough, maybe insurance puts it at 50/50. But a police officer saw enough evidence to give you an unsafe lane change ticket. :dunno:

I'll even give you a personal experience I've had. Driving north up the QE2, going roughly 125-130, I had an asshole in a Cadillac tailgating me, just after Red Deer. I move to the right, he passes me, moves right, and eventually slows down to 110. I overtake him, he speeds up, comes behind me, tailgates me, passes me, and slows down again. He drove me nuts, and this went on for an hour.

Eventually, we enter Leduc County, and he's tailgating me again, and I'm speeding in the left lane trying to get ahead of all the semi's and newbie drivers doing 95 in the right lane so I can move over. The problem? An RCMP officer sitting in the median not far ahead clocked me at 135, and lit me up. I pleaded my case to the officer as "Mr. Stockbroker" in the Caddy sped off, probably laughing at my plight. If I came on Beyond to ask for a witness who saw the Cadillac tailgating me, you'd laugh at me. The officer was somewhat sympathetic, but basically said "meh, life ain't fair" as he handed me the ticket.

Fast forward to a few months ago. Similar situation, I'm going 125-130 south on the QE2, near Wetaskiwin I think. Asshole in a lifted pickup comes up behind as I'm passing a line of slow cars in the right lane. I feel like speeding up, but my brain reminds me of the bad experience with Mr. Stockbroker in the Caddy. I tap on the brakes to tell the dipshit behind me to hang on for 2 seconds while I change lanes. I roll my eyes as he takes off going 140+.

Not five minutes later, my passengers and I notice a while shape off in the distance pull out from the median. The red and blue flashers went on, and we laughed our asses off as we passed the Alberta Sheriff's cruiser pulling over the very same pickup truck. Karma's a bitch. :burnout:

Moral of the story? Suck it up, princess. You were at fault. Next time, don't overreact to another driver's douchebaggery.

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Nah... most of Beyond is pretty quick to jump on the blame the OP bandwagon. The fact that OP was at fault, his
demeanour, and his animosity towards those with an affinity for nicer vehicles and better style make it easy to stay on the bandwagon.

Well I don't know him. And he doesn't know me.

darthVWader
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I rolled up on this on my way to work. I was like how the fuck did these two end up were they ended up.

If I remember correctly this is how it looked

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/bigbowtrout/CrashMem_zps64e6e2fa.png (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bigbowtrout/media/CrashMem_zps64e6e2fa.png.html)

heavyfuel
07-08-2013, 01:44 PM

shhh, please don't tell the scary coal man where I live.

I don't hide behind the anonymity of the 'net. You want to play the tough guy, and too lazy to search Beyond, I am sure 3 out of 5 members here can give you my address if you want to talk.

FYI, you are still an idiot for thinking this is anyone's fault but your own.

Not playing tough guy, I really don't need to. Just pointing out that u don't know me, weren't there this morning and IMO you're judging this situation based on my unsavory reputation and fueling the diesel-hate bonfire, which in itself IMO is weak and immature. You're a truck guy too so don't kid yourself with this bullshit. OK I was at fault. Maybe I want to fight it a bit more. That's not for you to have an opinion of. And I don't care where you live lol

spikerS
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Not playing tough guy, I really don't need to. Just pointing out that u don't know me, weren't there this morning and IMO you're judging this situation based on my unsavory reputation and fueling the diesel-hate bonfire, which in itself IMO is weak and immature. You're a truck guy too so don't kid yourself with this bullshit. OK I was at fault. Maybe I want to fight it a bit more. That's not for you to have an opinion of. And I don't care where you live lol

no, I didn't base it on your reputation, nor do I think anyone here did, However, I will only speak to myself when I say, I based my opinion on everything in this thread based on your original post in this thread. That is the information as you provided it.

my comment about coal afterwards was satire, as myself, I would love to have a F-350 diesel one day when my situation warrants one.

Am I a truck guy? yes. Always have been, and always will be. what does that have to do with your accident?

you want to fight it a bit more? sure, go nuts, all the power to you! Having said that, your original post was trying to put blame on everyone but yourself, and your refusal to accept responsibility.

As for immature...who called who the fuckwad again?

and yes, it is for me to have an opinion of, we all get to have one. If you didn't want opinions, you would have just asked for witnesses, not gone into detail how you wiped out a Dodge Dakota.

Stealth22
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
you want to fight it a bit more? sure, go nuts, all the power to you! Having said that, your original post was trying to put blame on everyone but yourself, and your refusal to accept responsibility.

and yes, it is for me to have an opinion of, we all get to have one. If you didn't want opinions, you would have just asked for witnesses, not gone into detail how you wiped out a Dodge Dakota.
Funnily enough, its interesting how everyone except the OP seems to have the same opinion, eh?

OP, no one is prejudging you or trying to be rude. Like spikers said, we're working off the info that you gave us.

If you want to fight it, sure man, best of luck. But what everyone here is saying is, you're probably going to be disappointed. If the police lay charges, that's a pretty big piece of evidence for insurance companies, if I'm not completely off my rocker. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

I just try to not let other drivers bother me anymore. Like I said on the last page, I let it get to me once, and all I got in return was a speeding ticket. The next time it happened, I reacted differently, and not 5 minutes later, I got to see the dipshit be pulled over right in front of me.

But back to your question. If anyone saw it, they can PM you, obviously. But from what you've told us, it doesn't look to good. Even if you had a witness that supported your side of it, insurance is just going to say that it was still your fault. The issue at hand is your lane change, and you didn't have room to make it. Whether or not you were being tailgated is irrelevant.

heavyfuel
10-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Hahaha so after all of this my my total monthly premium for 3 trucks actually went DOWN by $1 lmao 2 tickets came off in August!

Kloubek
10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Did you have accident forgiveness in your policy? Otherwise, they must penalize you *heavily* for tickets.

rx7boi
10-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Coles notes:

OP shared story and wants witnesses to help him out

OP gets his situation debunked

OP goes from placing 100% blame to settling for 50/50 blame.

OP tries to justify his actions due to a tailgater.

OP realizes that maybe he fucked up but has a hard time coming to terms with it.

OP is now trying to save face by telling us how he came out on top on monthly premiums.

jwslam
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Coles notes:
TYVM :thumbsup:

heavyfuel
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Coles notes:

OP shared story and wants witnesses to help him out

OP gets his situation debunked

OP goes from placing 100% blame to settling for 50/50 blame.

OP tries to justify his actions due to a tailgater.

OP realizes that maybe he fucked up but has a hard time coming to terms with it.

OP is now trying to save face by telling us how he came out on top on monthly premiums.

Hey no one put a gun to your head and made you read the thread lol

Hopefully it's a 5 ton or a semi next time the dickhead I hit figures the rule book makes more sense than physics and logic lol