PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Landscaping in the Hamptons

FullFledgedYYC
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Can someone please explain the logic behind this to me?

This house had leaking issues into the basement, so, they ordered a massive pile of dirt, let it sit on the front lawn for a week or two, then proceeded to shovel it all up against the house.

I guess they think the dirt all along the side of their house is going to keep the water out? Apparently they also don't give a crap that their house looks like a dump with the dirt all around it. Legit, there is dirt piled up against the side of the house ALLLLLLL the way around.

Beautiful. Must be some pretty intelligent people.

http://i.imgur.com/n2zhFtr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1tG2aWc.jpg

supe
07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
The point is to create run off away from your house.

FraserB
07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Pretty clear it's not completed.

I look forward to your next photo of a house under construction with the title "Why don't these morons have walls"

Ntense_SpecV
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Well the only thing that I can see is that their roof doesn't look like it has enough downspouts. I can't obviously see the back of the house, but looks like they only have 1 on each side of the house, plus whatever is in the back. The garage looks like it only would only have one also. That's a lot of roof area to drain down into relatively few areas. You can tell they have been trying to get the water further out with the extensions in the photo's laying on the ground.

FullFledgedYYC
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by supe
The point is to create run off away from your house.

Hamptons is known to have a high water table, most of it comes from underneath.

Originally posted by supe
Pretty clear it's not completed.

I look forward to your next photo of a house under construction with the title "Why don't these morons have walls"

Well it took them a month and a half to move the dirt, so i would hate to see how long it would take them to construct the house. They had the dirt well before the heavy rain we had and did not move the dirt against the house until after the rain.

blitz
07-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
so, they ordered a massive pile of dirt, let it sit on the front lawn for a week or two, then proceeded to shovel it all up against the house.

Well it took them a month and a half to move the dirt

What's next, 6 months to move the dirt? :rofl:

Relax. It's not finished. It's not your house and it's not your money. Did you ever think that maybe the old grading was causing the leak? Just because you have a high water table, doesn't mean you can have water coming into your basement another way.

FullFledgedYYC
07-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by blitz

What's next, 6 months to move the dirt? :rofl:

It was a month and a half... OP should have said 1 to 2 MONTHS.

FullFledgedYYC
07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Well ya, whatever, I don't really care since it's not my house. I guess I shall just wait until the weeds grow in and it looks like several other houses that are not maintained properly in the Hamptons.... like the one a block down that uses newspaper instead of landscaping fabric.

If you want to see it all, just come up to the Hamptons.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Well ya, whatever, I don't really care since it's not my house. I guess I shall just wait until the weeds grow in and it looks like several other houses that are not maintained properly in the Hamptons.... like the one a block down that uses newspaper instead of landscaping fabric.

I'm surprised you haven"t driven around and bitched about our little green fence on the edge of our grass yet, we must make the Hamptons even more ghetto. :D

legendboy
07-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I use to live in that house

10222?

bourge73
07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Easy answer to question, they Chinese.

CanmoreOrLess
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Easy answer to question, they Chinese.

And I believe they are in the process of growing ginseng, in seven years we will know for sure.

JustinMCS
07-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Newspaper is commonly used instead of landscape fabric. It's a gardeners trick and who cares when it's under mulch or rock?!

SJW
07-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I had to do this to my house recently. But I put down clay, then landscape fabric then pea gravel. This dirt against the house will simply wash away unless it seeds and even then you need clay to repel the water. Moisture will bleed right through.

FullFledgedYYC
07-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
I use to live in that house

10222?

So you're the guy that never cut the lawn in the back? Loved the tall weeds and grass the last few years.

GTS4tw
07-09-2013, 08:55 AM

So you're the guy that never cut the lawn in the back? Loved the tall weeds and grass the last few years.

Holy crap, I thought all the people who thought like this were too old for the internet.

davidI
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Uptight User is Uptight.

89coupe
07-09-2013, 09:17 AM
You can report unsightly yards/neighbors to the city.

7thgenvic
07-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Very Funny thread!

I would love to see this guys yard.....

FullFledgedYYC
07-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

Newspaper is commonly used instead of landscape fabric. It's a gardeners trick and who cares when it's under mulch or rock?!

Looks like they ran out of newspaper.... is cardboard a gardeners trick as well? That's what they are using now. All the grass and weeds growing through looks awesome.

blitz
07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Cardboard's better than newspaper, they're really stepping up their game!

FullFledgedYYC
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Here's a closeup of the beauty of the newspaper house

http://i.imgur.com/zlE5IvJ.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me why the hell so many houses in the Hamptons do a half ass mow job like below? Looks amazing. Pure laziness, or complete stupidity?

http://i.imgur.com/zgAGNUL.jpg

Evo prec
07-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Well posting it up on beyond isnt going to do anything ... just knock on the door or call by law

Clearly looks like an asain back yard, its pretty expected and Hamptons has alot of asians

G
07-10-2013, 04:20 PM
What do you expect when asians cut their lawn with a weed wacker?

403ep3
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Lol how does that back yard look asian?

FullFledgedYYC
07-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Lol how does that back yard look asian?

The above two posters are 100% correct, it is an asian. Seen them out there before.

Xtrema
07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Last full census had Hamptons at 30% Asian, 30% Indian and 30% Caucasian.

Today, I think it's 40/35/20. And most of the new Asians moved here are mainlanders with Koreans being a close 2nd.

Unsightly yards is my pet peeve. 2nd would be cheap and ugly exterior renos. There are too many people had disgusting stucco repair jobs, old rotted out roofs that goes or roof that are replaced with ghetto asphalt shingles or cheap metal/plastic material.

codetrap
07-10-2013, 06:01 PM
The above two posters are 100% correct, it is an asian. Seen them out there before. LOL.. oh SNAP. There's one of those in my area too. Thankfully the house just changed hands.

The other one I love is the people that won't mow the entire front yard for a shared lawn, and it looks like they meticulously hand water because one side is all green and thick, and the other looks like desert cacti are about to sprout, and the entire shared front yard is maybe 40 square meters.... Just dumb.

FullFledgedYYC
07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
The big one I don't get is why they mow one side of the fence, as seen above, or do the front yard and then don't do the backyard.

Or even better they do 75% of the backyard and leave one area around waist height...

I guess they like having their homes look like shit.

Xtrema
07-10-2013, 09:15 PM
The big one I don't get is why they mow one side of the fence, as seen above, or do the front yard and then don't do the backyard.

Or even better they do 75% of the backyard and leave one area around waist height...

I guess they like having their homes look like shit.

Chinese house ownership is all about maximum capital budget but 0 ops budget. Big house but don't like house works but too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

FullFledgedYYC
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Chinese house ownership is all about maximum capital budget but 0 ops budget. Big house but don't like house works but too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

How do they ever plan to sell these places? I would never buy a house that has been owned by an asian after the shit I have seen this summer in the Hamptons.

bignerd
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
My old neighbors have long since moved, but they put seed down instead of sod when we had first moved in. Brand new houses.

So seed grows and turns into grass. Fine. And it keeps growing. So lawn is about 2.5 feet tall now and full of weeds. I call bylaw and complain.

Why did they not mow the lawn? Because they didn't own a lawnmower. The father went out one day after I complained with the whole family watching and WEEDWHACKED the ENTIRE front AND back yard!

Our lots are not huge but are not teeny tiny either. Thankfully when they decided they needed to sell they had sod put in and the new neighbors take better care of the lawn.

We have a French guy that lives across from us, beautiful yard, flowers everywhere, big trees, ponds etc. The people that bought the house behind him have let their fence fall apart, the swing set is falling down in their yard, the shed is now missing a door, they don't shovel the walk in winter... the French guy is always yelling at them how their yard looks like shit-its awesome.

Xtrema
07-10-2013, 09:39 PM

How do they ever plan to sell these places? I would never buy a house that has been owned by an asian after the shit I have seen this summer in the Hamptons.

Back to Asians because they understand.

As far as I have seen, only 1 house went from Asian owner back to Caucasian owner. But they did a Mike Holm's style reno for 2 months before moving in.

Another one, it was on the market forever until the kitchen was redone completely. Open kitchen homes and Chinese/Indian food don't mix well.

Marsh
07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Im in Hamptons, have been for several years. Our next door neighbor is a chinese guy that lives in hong kong and has NEVER visited the house, not even once. Only after years of complaining the place looked like shit (and numerous complaints from other neighbors) I think his cousin or somebody comes by once a month and weedwacks the shit out of his lawn....Its pretty shitty.

Hamptons was a nice area a few years ago, but too many Immigrants/NE migration (Im brown so I can say it haha)

bignerd
07-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Is there no pride of ownership in homes in Asia or what?

Do they just not want to spend money? I mean just put in grass and mow it every two weeks. Doesn't have to be flowers and landscaped, just maintained.

My chinese neighbors had like 6 adults living in their house, someone could of found time to mow or weed every now and then.....

roopi
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
Is there no pride of ownership in homes in Asia or what?

Do they just not want to spend money? I mean just put in grass and mow it every two weeks. Doesn't have to be flowers and landscaped, just maintained.

My chinese neighbors had like 6 adults living in their house, someone could of found time to mow or weed every now and then.....

In my dozen or o visits to China/HK I have probably seen about a dozen houses. Everyone lives in Condos/Apartments. I tend to stick to the main areas of the cities though.

UndrgroundRider
07-11-2013, 12:11 AM
My asian neighbours have the nicest yard on the street. :dunno:

FullFledgedYYC
07-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
My asian neighbours have the nicest yard on the street. :dunno:

You should probably offer them money so they continue to maintain it... tis very rare.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Yeah I would say the Asians on our street generally have nice yards, there's a few people that go nuts with their yards and spend way too much time/money on them too.

dirtsniffer
07-11-2013, 08:37 AM

You should probably offer them money so they continue to maintain it... tis very rare.

should change his user title from "uptight user' to 'derogatory user'

dirtsniffer
07-11-2013, 08:38 AM

should change his user title from "uptight user' to 'derogatory user'

That being said I reallydon't like when people just through gravel down as a front lawn.. or those gardens that usually just end up as weed parks.. or poeple who just pave the whole fucking thing.... :whocares:

Xtrema
07-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Although I generalize too much, I'm Asian and I spend time on upkeep around the house. There are also some good examples in Hamptons.

Only fobs and blue collar Asians have a higher chance of not doing yard work. Some actually understand they don't like to do that shit and do rock gardens instead which I respect more than leaving lawns out of control.

Originally posted by bignerd

A lot of these Asian/Indian home owners can afford $1M house isn't because they have $1M. It's because they have 6 people working 70hrs a week per household plus grandma and grandpa is getting maximum OAS benefits.

Sugarphreak
07-11-2013, 10:00 AM

legendboy
07-11-2013, 11:25 AM

lived there 15 years ago