PDA

View Full Version : Getty Images

kvg
07-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Getty Images sent me in email about some of my images that they are interested in and invited me to be a contributor.
Anyone on here deal with Getty and you can tell me anything about it?

Willie Bobo
07-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Been a Getty contributor for a few years now and I'm mostly happy with the arrangement.

What do you want to know?

kvg
07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Do you just upload images and they pick what they like then how do the royalties work?

Unknown303
07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm curious about how Getty functions for rights management and all that crap too. Do they market your images out to people looking for them or is it just what people find searching on there and purchase?

Willie Bobo
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Do you just upload images and they pick what they like then how do the royalties work?

Pretty much, they pick which images they want and they also determine if said image is RF or RM. You have no say other than not uploading the image if you're not happy with the license type. I've found they usually pretty good at determining which license will work for each image.

What do you want to know about royalties?

Willie Bobo
07-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I'm curious about how Getty functions for rights management and all that crap too. Do they market your images out to people looking for them or is it just what people find searching on there and purchase?

I have no idea on the marketing side. I just take pictures and they do all the legwork to market and sell them.

kvg
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
RF of RM?

Willie Bobo
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
RF - Royalty Free

RM - Rights Managed

http://www.gettyimages.ca/Corporate/LicenseInfo.aspx?Language=en-US

kvg
07-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Royalty free = Zero $ ?

CanmoreOrLess
07-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Here are the definitions as Getty sees it:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/Corporate/LicenseInfo.aspx

sputnik
07-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by kvg
Royalty free = Zero $ ?

Royalty free means that they sell a license for an image to a company and they have the ability to use it as much and wherever they want (web, ad, promotional publications etc.). These are usually lower end or very generic images which usually results in a smaller payout to the photographer.

Rights managed means that they sell a license for an image but the company is restricted in how they are able to use it. For instance, they may like an image to use on a magazine cover but would be restricted to only printing 50,000 copies of the magazine. Or it could be used for an advertisement but restricted for use only on their billboard campaign. These images are usually more specific or higher quality and will need the photographer more money.

blitz
07-10-2013, 07:50 AM
I had them contact me a while back, but never replied. It was right around the time when Getty gave 5000 images to Google for free and compensated the photographers $12 each.