PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in London

CaptainReboot
07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
So I'll be making a trip to London this summer for 5 days.

Currently looking for a hotel but I'm unsure where to stay.

Does anybody have any suggestions or hotel recommendations? I'll be taking the tube or walking most if not the entire time.

Thanks.

rx7_turbo2
07-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I stayed at the K+K Hotel George while there.

https://plus.google.com/115341255782850890933/about?gl=ca&hl=en

I wasn't picking up the tab so I don't know what it cost. I found it extremely convenient. I got around using The Tube exclusively and had no issues. It was the only time I've spent in London so I can't relate it to other locations though.

e36bmw///
07-09-2013, 09:16 PM
nm

ga16i
07-10-2013, 02:13 AM
London is a pretty big place, where are you looking to visit most?

Beyond ballers can stay at The Ritz or The Savoy of course :nut:

Most popular tourist attractions are North of the Thames River, so hotels tend to be more expensive over there than compared to most places around the South Bank.

Strider
07-10-2013, 09:31 AM
I stayed at the Crown Plaza Kensington a couple years ago. It's literally across the street from a tube stop, and a pretty decent area for shopping and restaurants.

You'll have to narrow down area or price range though.

cet
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Strider
I stayed at the Crown Plaza Kensington a couple years ago. It's literally across the street from a tube stop, and a pretty decent area for shopping and restaurants.

You'll have to narrow down area or price range though.

My parents lived just south of there in South Kensington for a few years and I have a buddy that lived close as well, in Chelsea, along the river.

The area is pretty good, it's close to a couple of museums, Hyde Park and Harrods, and only 3 miles from Westminster Abby and Big Ben. I used to walk everywhere except for the few places that were further away like the Tower of London. For places like that you could either use the Tube of one of the Hop-on/Hop-off bus tours.

toyboy88
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah what style of activities/attractions are you planning to do?
And what's your budget.

As a general tip, plan your stay over a weekend as well.
Alot of the 4 and 5 start hotels, when you book over the weekend (doesn't have to be only the weekend, just a portion0, you're rate will be a lot lower.

I recently stayed at the Hilton Canary Wharf (4*), and it was fantastic.
Even better I got it for $163 total all-in for 2 nights (vs online price of $574).

Been to London 5 times now, so happy to provide tips/suggestions.

:)

CaptainReboot
07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
Yeah what style of activities/attractions are you planning to do?
And what's your budget.

As a general tip, plan your stay over a weekend as well.
Alot of the 4 and 5 start hotels, when you book over the weekend (doesn't have to be only the weekend, just a portion0, you're rate will be a lot lower.

I recently stayed at the Hilton Canary Wharf (4*), and it was fantastic.
Even better I got it for $163 total all-in for 2 nights (vs online price of $574).

Been to London 5 times now, so happy to provide tips/suggestions.

:)

This is my first time to London. I'm actually heading over to a few places for work, so I'd though I'd take advantage of the free plane ticket. Budget will be around $220 - $250 a night max.

I plan on doing a lot of walking and just discovering things. I do want to see a few museums, like the British Museum, and some "touristy" stuff, Big Ben, Tower of London, etc.

Somewhere central where I could walk to those sights, perhaps close to a few good shopping areas, restaurants, etc.

Found out a friend used to live there and she recommended somewhere around Covent Garden or Bloomsbury.

Maxx Mazda
07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Covent garden is a good "central" location.

I stayed up by heathrow at the Ibis. Great hotel chain. All the Accor hotels are. Super clean, new, convenient. Got myself a tube pass and everything was within easy reach by train for the week I was there.

toor
07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
http://www.k-west.co.uk/

ga16i
07-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Covent garden is a good "central" location.

I stayed up by heathrow at the Ibis. Great hotel chain. All the Accor hotels are. Super clean, new, convenient. Got myself a tube pass and everything was within easy reach by train for the week I was there.

Agreed, Covent Garden is quite central. Beware of those types that use Apple products there though ;)

Probably best not to be by Heathrow if we're talking about the general tourist attractions. I think I remember Heathrow being like 35~45min away by train?? Wouldn't want to do that everyday bothways.

littledan
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
i stayed at the Days Inn in Hounslow when I was stranded in London due to the volcano eruption few years back. I gotta say, that cheapo 89 pound room was nicer than the Marriott in Kensington! And I got free breakfast too! The downside was that it was extremely far from everything except the airport. I think the tube ride into town was like 35-45 mins as stated earlier.

CaptainReboot
07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

Any suggestions for a good place to eat? Not looking for a fancy restaurant, more like street food.

ga16i
07-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Covent Garden is pretty close to Chinatown, that's always cheap. Not much street food around I don't think besides maybe Covent Garden Market itself. There's little patisseries here and there, find a Pret-a-Manger or PAUL if you're just looking for a quick bite, but don't want American fast food.

sl888
07-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

Any suggestions for a good place to eat? Not looking for a fancy restaurant, more like street food.
Definitely head to Borough Market.
http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk

tenth
07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Heading to London at the end of August. After a pile of research and some conversing with cousins that live there, we're ending up at the Apex Temple Court Hotel.

Pretty centrally located, tube and train stations nearby, and got a rate of $230 CDN a night for the 11th ranked London hotel on Trip Advisor. One of the finds I'm most excited about on our 23 night stay in Europe.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g186338-d2539103-Reviews-Apex_Temple_Court_Hotel-London_England.html