PDA

View Full Version : hobbyist welding help.

spikerS
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I want to tackle a couple small projects I have in my head.

I need to figure out a way to make some things and they are not large scale at all. I am thinking I can make it out of Aluminium, but I dont want a lot of rivets or screws, so I was hoping to weld it.

can you braze aluminium, and if so, what tools and supplies are recommended?

or is there a better alternative?

962 kid
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
http://thefusewire.com/about.html

Not sure how structural your bits are, but I've heard decent things about that stuff

Unknown303
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
that stuff reminds me of Durafix

spikerS
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
http://thefusewire.com/about.html

Not sure how structural your bits are, but I've heard decent things about that stuff

Christ that is expensive! but if it really is that easy...can it be bought locally, or do i have to order it over the web?

this is for making some hobby parts, I doubt it would ever see more than 50lbs stress in any direction, and that would be something extreme and everything going wrong.

sr20s14zenki
07-09-2013, 10:25 PM
If you mark it all and its a small amount you can bring it to me to tig it. Just cut it all and mark where shit goes

ercchry
07-09-2013, 10:32 PM
if its low stress, 3-D print it. comes out as perfect as the model you put in. can just play around with sketchup and just add a free .stl exporter plugin and you are good to go

checkout some of the crazy ideas people come up with to print

http://www.thingiverse.com/

Graham_A_M
07-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
If you mark it all and its a small amount you can bring it to me to tig it. Just cut it all and mark where shit goes

Yeah man, I know tons of guys that do Alum welding. Its not overly expensive either. PM him or me if you want, but I can forward your info to this unbelievably talented local welder to make whatever you need for a decent price. Or another welder, or another.... and on and on.

http://whiteknightracing.com/

^ Thats my old neighbor Steve. Even at 23 he's probably the best welder in western Canada. Some of the shit he does is just...... fucking wow. I have no words to express. He fixed a ton of broken alum bits on my sportbike when there was as hit & run on it for a reasonable price.
His TIG welding on Alum, Titanium & stainless steel is honestly well beyond what I've seen done robotically, its literally perfect, just no imperfections anywhere at all, any welding inspector would tell you the same.

Brilliant mechanic too. He has a 2500hp SBF TT Fox body mustang that he built himself. Extremely well known in the "idiotic performance" category for what he builds & does.
:thumbsup:

spikerS
07-09-2013, 11:55 PM
the idea here is to save myself a bit of cash.

but these projects don't require a big weld job, hence why I was looking to do some brazing.

I am only going to be working with some 3/16ths L shaped aluminium bars and maybe some stretched metal. The dimentions are only going to be about 12x24 inches.

truth be told, I am trying to make some scale-ish trailers to hook up to RC trucks for myself and a couple others.

ercchry
07-10-2013, 08:52 AM
:rofl:

i would so 3-D print that. its only $60/kg of material

Maxx Mazda
07-10-2013, 09:05 AM
Canadian tire sells Bernz-o-matic aluminum brazing rods. Used with a MAPP torch that stuff works REALLY well. I use it on all my smaller aluminum projects I don't want to break out the welder for.

AndyL
07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
:rofl:

i would so 3-D print that. its only $60/kg of material
30$/kg if you shop offshore - reprapper sells for a reasonable price - pretty well reviewed product

For this application - a couple pop rivets are all that's needed...

e31
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by spikers
the idea here is to save myself a bit of cash.

but these projects don't require a big weld job, hence why I was looking to do some brazing.

I am only going to be working with some 3/16ths L shaped aluminium bars and maybe some stretched metal. The dimentions are only going to be about 12x24 inches.

truth be told, I am trying to make some scale-ish trailers to hook up to RC trucks for myself and a couple others.

JB Weld, think of it as model glue