PDA

View Full Version : Drinks For The Preggo Wife

Dave P
07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey Beyond.

The wife is having a hard time finding a drink she can drink lots of. She drinks a lot of water, but gets sick of it (even with lime, lemon, orange slices, etc). She doesn’t want to drink anything with sweeteners or aspartame, and doesn’t want to drink high calorie juices or pop.

Telling her to just suck it up at this point would be harmful to my health.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Team!

carson blocks
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I like the True Lime and True Lemon packets, makes water more palatable and is stronger tasting and easier than sliced lemon / lime. It's still water, but I can't think of really many other drinks that aren't high calorie, yet don't have artificial sweeteners etc.

dirtsniffer
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Soda water? Coconut water?

Disoblige
07-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Club soda, a full lime or lemon, 2-3 teaspoons of sugar, mix and serve!
This makes usually ~2 cups worth.

Yum, and should be under 50 calories too.

taemo
07-10-2013, 02:11 PM
what type of drink is she looking for mainly

maybe tea, apparently rooibos tea is good for pregnant women especially since it doesn't have caffeine

i like to buy this at T&T. I put 1/3 in a glass and rest water.
http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/sun-tropics-nectar-calamansi-180055.jpg

FixedGear
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
getting sick of drinking water? first world problems :rofl:

blitz
07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Homemade Iced Tea with next to no sugar. We do it with jasmine tea all the time.

interlude
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I would highly recommend picking up a Soda Stream and Home Outfiitters. They have a big selection of flavors to choose from. She can pick up the soda flavors where they use cane sugar.

theken
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
You can get stevia drink sweeteners. Mix with club soda and you have a refreshing beverage that feels like your getting a real drink in you

Strider
07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Italian soda

Club soda + syrup. Pick up a half dozen flavors and let her go nuts (she can control the sweetness).

I'm partial to Monin syrups (although they're a bit pricier) - Cappuccino King has an great selection. Could also go with Torani syrups (Second Cup uses these), you can find these for $6 a bottle at Real Canadian Wholesale.

CanmoreOrLess
07-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Coconut water from CostCo, best value.

Tonic water with a slice of lime.

Kukicha tea (no caffeine, drink hot or cold):
http://www.macrobiotics.org.uk/recipes/article/46/Kukicha-tea

Watermelon Smoothie
-2 cups of chopped watermelon
-Juice of 1 small lime
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint (optional)
-1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root (optional)

Preparation:

Blend all ingredients until smooth.
Serves 1

yellowsnow
07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
start juicing? wife and i bought a juicer a few months ago and we feel it's been great for our health.

my fav is grapefruits, carrots, apples and a lemon... mmm

we also stuff spinach, kale, cucumbers, and any type of fruit.

Tik-Tok
07-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I like the True Lime and True Lemon packets,

Where are you buying these? The Co-Op by my house used to have them, but stopped at least a year ago. I find them excellent with gin, when I'm at someone else's house.

kaput
07-10-2013, 06:20 PM

firebane
07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Almond milk

vanilla flavored :drool:

carson blocks
07-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Where are you buying these? The Co-Op by my house used to have them, but stopped at least a year ago. I find them excellent with gin, when I'm at someone else's house.

I think I got my last boxes at either Safeway or Sobeys in Airdrie but it was a while ago. They've got a really good store locator on their site that even tells you which products the store carries and where in the store they're located (if the info is accurate).

http://www.truelemon.com/store-locator.html?view=map&Itemid=143

So, just straight gin with a packet of lemon or lime? Interesting, I'll have to try it.

Tik-Tok
07-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

So, just straight gin with a packet of lemon or lime? Interesting, I'll have to try it.

Gin and tonic with lime. Obviously at home I use real sliced limes, but when out and about, I'm not going to go cutting a lime up at some one else's party, lol.

Thanks for the link! Safeway close to me carries it :thumbsup:

OU812
07-10-2013, 10:01 PM
water with a splash of jizz?

phreezee
07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Buy a sodastream and carbonate fruit juices (apple, pom, grape, blueberry).

sxtasy
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Try the Santa Cruz organic juices, they are pretty good and should be healthy enough

http://www.santacruzorganic.com/products/juices

R-Audi
07-11-2013, 08:49 AM
What we were recommended was a powdered drink mix called Emergen-C that can be found at Shoppers and places like that. Also very good during labour as well.

Not sure about the sweetner in it though...

boarderfatty
07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I mix San Pellegrino with fruit juice, so basically it is watered down fruit juice (cranberry, pomogranite, orange, grapefruit) so you dont have as much of the bad stuff from juice you get water, and you get carbonation.

You could also just go for the San Pellegrino Sparking Fruit Beverages in cans which is basically real fruit juice and their carbonated water mixed in a can. I love their blood orange one.

dirtsniffer
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
What we were recommended was a powdered drink mix called Emergen-C that can be found at Shoppers and places like that. Also very good during labour as well.

Not sure about the sweetner in it though...

Also work for hang overs :love:

clem24
07-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Water is kind of a weird beast.. I find I REALLY like water that is super cold - so take a thermal mug (like those for coffee but I find Contigo works best)), throw in 3-4 ice cubes, and fill with ice cold tap water (I use the dispenser built into my fridge to it's even colder). I could drink gallons of it that way. But ask me to drink water that is room temperature, it will take me a whole day to down a glass. My wife is the opposite - she likes to drink warm/hot water. Go fig. But I'd give that a try.

I also like low sodium club soda, with my faves being PC low sodium and Perrier.. Oh sorry, carbonated spring water with dissolved minerals... Which is exactly the same as club soda just costs 10x more hahaha. The flavoured San Pellegrino stuff is good but it's still chock full of sugar. Mmm.. Sugar...

My ultimate recommendation though is to just drink whatever the fuck she feels like (aside from alcohol).. She's already suffering, why make it worse. My friend, they have 3 kids.. First kid, avoided EVERYTHING, like sugar, caffeine, etc, 2nd kid, did it in moderation. 3rd kid, said fuck it, drank coffee everyday and diet pop. So far, 3rd one seems the most easy going hahaha.

Our 3 kids though.. Can't tell because my wife prefers water as her everyday drink. Dabs of (sweetened) soy milk, juice, milk but nothing that she guzzles by the gallon everyday other than water when she was preggo.

Kritafo
07-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Speaking of juicing..I am on a sweet potato, pear, grapes, apple with a dash of cinnamon kick.

Just careful to not drink just water, it throws off electrolytes.