PDA

View Full Version : Front loading washer and dryer recommendation?

Seth1968
07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
It's going to be either Samsung, LG, or Whirlpool. Any quality difference between those three?

Also, should I go with a direct drive or belt drive?

projekz
07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I just bought a new set an I ended up going with Samsung. I would stay away from Whirpool as the previous set I had only lasted 5 years under normal use for a family of 4.

Direct drive is quieter and has less maintenance but they are a bit more expensive to fix.

killramos
07-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Just bought a set of really nice samsunga for 2000 for the set, which I thought was a great deal from trail. Wrt the expensive direct drive mine came with a 10 year warranty on the drive system which negates any real negatives there.

Street_Soldier
09-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Bumping this thread cause I need information.

Where do you recommend I get a new washer and dryer from? Also is there a better time of the year to get one?

What brand do you guys recommend.

Are there features that I need to have?

All I know is that I need a front loaded washer and dryer.

What's the price range for a decent set?

It also needs to be small cause the storage area in my condo isn't very big.

Thanks any suggestions and information would be great.

The_Rural_Juror
09-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Coastal and Trail are two of the bigger places to get it from. The Bay may have sales once in a while as well, and they will price match.

If you can wait, hold off until Boxing Week. There were some really good deals the past two years. I would have been able to get the newer top of the line model for much less money than I paid in the summer.

If you can't wait, there might be some gems in the clearance section of Trail Appliances. Some of them would just have a small dent. Works better if you are only looking for one of the two pieces, as it is much cheaper to get both of the same models together.

Steam Dryer is awesome. For the steam dryer, the models with removable reservoir (as opposed to the hot water piped in) tends to have a separate heater. This means that the steam is generated before it is injected into the drum, compared to hot water injected into the drum that turns into steam from the heat. Might be different now, but this is what I found last year.

Steam washer...meh. It helps to unstink some of my towels once in a while, but can live without.

When I was doing my research, Samsung and LG were the only two brands that were consistently at the top of every category. LG was rated to have the better dryer, while Samsung had the better washer. I bought a mismatched pair for that reason.

If I had to do it again, I would go with LG for both. Looks better, shorter wash time, and much less annoying song.

Kritafo
09-22-2013, 10:55 AM
well don't go with Samsung. My dryer is 2 years old and just croaked. I don't use it excessively. My lint trap is always clean, I actually hang most of my laundry to dry. I never overload. Soooo annoyed. I see lots of others saying the same things about Samsung dyers after I hunted down parts to order.

Seth1968
09-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
well don't go with Samsung. My dryer is 2 years old and just croaked. I don't use it excessively. My lint trap is always clean, I actually hang most of my laundry to dry. I never overload. Soooo annoyed. I see lots of others saying the same things about Samsung dyers after I hunted down parts to order.

Hi Kritafo.

The same "Google" search can prove/disprove anything.

I ended up getting a sweet deal for an LG front loading pair.

The first thing I noticed with the washer was it was hardly using any water, soap, or do ANYTHING that resembled washing the clothes. Yet, the clothes came out clean. So then I thought, "How stingy can I be with my money"? (with total disregard for my money burning in other useless and destructive aspects lol.)

Anyway, I started to use the quick wash function, and the results were the same.

If I can help it, I'm never going back to the Neanderthal top loading washers. I was more monster than human:D

Kritafo
09-22-2013, 12:13 PM
it was actually in one of the samsung forums.

Yes I did notice a massive difference in water and soap usage. I mean my clothes come out of the front load washer almost dry. We got our pair during the futureshop boxing day specials, and they were a fantastic deal, I am just not very happy that my barely used dryer ins't working.

Street_Soldier
09-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the information guys. Thanks for detailed write up Juror. Anyone else?

Seth1968
09-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
it was actually in one of the samsung forums.

Yes I did notice a massive difference in water and soap usage. I mean my clothes come out of the front load washer almost dry. We got our pair during the futureshop boxing day specials, and they were a fantastic deal, I am just not very happy that my barely used dryer ins't working.

Like any other manufacturer, shit happens to even the best of them.

I normally despise extended warranties, but for kitchen appliances, it's worth it.

Amysicle
09-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Mitsu300gt has this set and recommended them: LG WM2250CW & LG DLE2250W

I think he bought them last boxing day for $1400 including delivery. They can also stack if space is a concern.

We purchased them from Future Shop in May based on Mitsu's recommendation for $1250 including delivery and I think in July Future Shop had a "Boxing" week sale for $1200.

It's front loading, stainless steel drum, direct drive motor - it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's a very attractive price point for what it does have and how well it cleans.

ipeefreely
09-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
We have older LG models that came with our house than Mitsu recommended (LG WM2010CW & LG DLE1310W - 3 years old, they don't have all the bells & whistles but we don't need them)... been happy with them. No problems yet! :) I do keep up with the maintenance so that probably helps... ;)

The most important thing with a front loader is to keep the door open to let it dry out or you'll have funky smells in no time! :barf:

Skidro
09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
We have the front loading LG washers that were top of the line a few years back and so far have had not a single problem! We just have to keep the washer's door open when it isn't used to it doesn't smell (needs to be vented i guess)

Sugarphreak
09-22-2013, 08:05 PM

turbotrip
09-22-2013, 10:16 PM
no idea if its true or not but the salesman at trail told us to avoid LG due to some recent change in service they made?

masoncgy
09-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Bumping this thread cause I need information.

Where do you recommend I get a new washer and dryer from? Also is there a better time of the year to get one?

What brand do you guys recommend.

Are there features that I need to have?

All I know is that I need a front loaded washer and dryer.

What's the price range for a decent set?

It also needs to be small cause the storage area in my condo isn't very big.

Thanks any suggestions and information would be great.

Shot you a PM...

Mitsu3000gt
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle

I think he bought them last boxing day for $1400 including delivery. They can also stack if space is a concern.

We purchased them from Future Shop in May based on Mitsu's recommendation for $1250 including delivery and I think in July Future Shop had a "Boxing" week sale for $1200.

It's front loading, stainless steel drum, direct drive motor - it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's a very attractive price point for what it does have and how well it cleans.

Yeah I am super happy with mine. It was just under $1400 including delivery, stack kit, and haul-away of the old units, so they can be had for pretty good prices. It was last Boxing Day at Home Depot.

The only features it's missing really is steam, which I didn't want. They are quiet, and have all the gentle/hand/quick wash settings, etc. that you need.

My parents have the one model up LG and I think they are 4 years old now with zero problems, and they get run pretty hard.

I'd be surprised if there was a better well-featured set in the $1200 range than that pair. Consumer reports rated them highly as well if you care about that sort of thing.

Absolutely zero problems, zero smell, and I tried cleaning the filter but there wasn't so much as a single hair in it, so you won't need to do that often.

msommers
10-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm in the market for a new W&D and if it's good enough for the avid researchers, I'll just take their recommendations! Should I wait until Christmas time though?

AndyL
10-05-2013, 09:15 AM
We went with the bottom of the barrel (not quite but basically the cheapest ones you'll find at Lowes on Sunday) GE - after a ton of research, every make/model has issues / complaints.

9months or so later - they're going strong... Our only issue has been apprentices little socks somehow make it into the filter every few weeks... Then it won't drain... The front bottom panel for the washer now stays off, with a paint rolling tray in proximity for draining...

That parts f*ing annoying, but its a 2 minute fix; and seems to coincide nicely with a visible need to clean the filter anyway...

wtf im nameless
10-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm in the market for a new W&D and if it's good enough for the avid researchers, I'll just take their recommendations! Should I wait until Christmas time though?

I have a very good contact for appliances, I'll PM you his info.

StickyRice
10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Has anyone here tried out Maytag washer and dryers? Any input on this brand?

suntan
10-11-2013, 11:25 AM
From CR:

http://i.imgur.com/JaoAsiy.png

suntan
10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Washers:

http://i.imgur.com/X15jxXi.png

suntan
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Dryers:

http://i.imgur.com/SIiyzKK.png

suntan
10-11-2013, 11:29 AM
FYI LG is the OEM for virtually every brand out there... They also provide virtually every repair part for every brand.

msommers
10-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Wicked, thanks for the information man!

Edit: I wonder if some of those are US-only models. The one washer you have checked off (the LG) looks really good but I can't seem to find it on the CDN site.

Also has anyone heard much or dealt with Bowest Appliances?

r3ccOs
10-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I have an LG and its been whisper quiet

I really haven't ever used the steam cycle on the washer, but honestly, steam drying is even a bit of a gimmic (other than sanitizing things in the dryer)

I wouldn't buy an other pair, unless it was for a Miele or a Bosch

suntan
10-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Ah, found the Canadian-specific stuff:

Washers:

http://i.imgur.com/vVIlyDE.png

suntan
10-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Dryers:

http://i.imgur.com/WoiuMFl.png

Street_Soldier
10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
OK, its finally time to get a new washer and dryer, just been busy the last little while.

Here is what I m considering so far...

Kenmore MD 3.8 cu. Ft. Front-Load Washer & 7.0 cu. Ft. Electric Dryer
http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-md-38-cu-ft-front-load-washer-70-cu-ft-electric-dryer-white/626-48021-48021

LG 4.1 Cu. Ft. Front Load Washer & LG 7.1 Cu. Ft. Electric Dryer
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-4-1-cu-ft-front-load-washer-wm2250cw-white-wm2250cw/10206562.aspx

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-7-1-cu-ft-electric-dryer-dle2250w-white-dle2250w/10206561.aspx

The Kenmore is $250 cheaper in price and doesn't require a stacking kit so its about $320 less than the LG.

Other than the load size 3.9 Cu. Ft vs 4.1 Cu. Ft and the motor type belt vs direct is there anything else I should be aware of?

The extra space isn't a big deal to me seeing as I don't have much to wash usually.

I was also told that the direct drive motor is no better than a belt driven one seeing as todays Kevlar belts are much better and will last the life of the machine itself. Can someone verify this?

Thanks

msommers
10-26-2013, 12:04 AM
Just an FYI, those LG 2250 washer/dryer are on sale for $1200 at Home Depot for this week. I snagged a pair, sounds like they have lots of stock. Delivered, take away of the pieces of shit the previous owners left me, W/D and GST I managed $1350.

Now I just need a new range. Suntan, do you have any Consumer Reports stuff on CDN listed electric (non-induction) ranges by chance?!

msommers
10-26-2013, 11:21 AM
So Lowes has that same set for $1124 vs $1196 at home depot. I tried to get them to beat it but they'd match. Maybe because I bought them already? Worth a shot if you're in the market because you might get 10% more off.

OU812
10-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Why does everyone have such a hardon for front loaders? I hate having to ebnd over to do laundy which I also hate.

suntan
10-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Uses way less detergent, uses waaaaay less water (about 40% less), gets clothes cleaner, gentler on clothes, can stuff way more into a front loader, most can do large blankets, duvets; wrings out way more water so less drying time = less $$$ to do laundry.

masoncgy
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
^ That's if you're comparing a front load to a conventional top load washer.

You can purchase HE top load washers now that give you the same kind of efficiencies as a front load washer but in a top load configuration. In fact, a lot of the time, the HE top load washer will have the same capacity as a front load washer at a similar price point & features list.

Good example here:
http://www.maytag.ca/en_CA/laundry-1/laundry-appliances-2/washers-3/-[MVWB980BG]-1505310/MVWB980BG/#

I actually prefer these to the front loads I have, even though my Samsungs have been great and I would sell that set to anyone. I don't like all the bending (I'm 6'1) and my laundry room configuration will not allow for a side-by-side set up, so stacked front loads it is.

Seth1968
10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
If you've got problems with slight bending over for the occasional laundry load, then you probably shouldn't be alive.

masoncgy
10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
^ If you're a household of 4 like us or more, it's not occassional. Our laundry pair runs everyday and often more than once a day.

Things get stuck at the back of the wash drum requiring you to get down and reach back and fish it out... it might seem like nothing, but it gets old after awhile... and if you can buy a washer that doesn't do that, why wouldn't you?

;)

suntan
10-30-2013, 10:06 AM
The HE top loaders don't do as well in the CR ratings, and also you have to watch out for models that prohibit the washing of bedding and waterproof clothing (LG, Samsung and Kenmore Elite).

codetrap
10-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I have the Maytag top loaders. Bought them specifically because of the gi-normous capacity. I can wash my water resistant sleeping bags in them no problem at all.

Wrinkly
10-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Can't comment on other brands mentioned here because I've no experience of them (except for the old school Hotpoint pair I had previously).

Eight years ago I purchased a Miele pair. Expensive but well worth it IMO, never a single problem (until recently, a slight intermittent leak from the washer, but after eight years trouble free, i think thats more than reasonable). They've suffered VERY heavy usage, too! Gotta love that German engineering :D

flipstah
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
If you've got problems with slight bending over for the occasional laundry load, then you probably shouldn't be alive.

Holy fuck, chill bro. :rofl:

I like top-loaders because you can soak overnight. :thumbsup:

ercchry
10-31-2013, 03:23 PM
most front loads have optional stands to bring them off the ground, you can also stack them to save floor space too

flipstah
10-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
most front loads have optional stands to bring them off the ground, you can also stack them to save floor space too

Possibly the only reason why I'd consider a front-loader.

:thumbsup:

Seth1968
10-31-2013, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Holy fuck, chill bro. :rofl:

I like top-loaders because you can soak overnight. :thumbsup:

If you've got problems with slight bending over for the occasional laundry load, and having to soak clothes overnight, then you probably shouldn't be alive.

Fixed lol.

flipstah
10-31-2013, 03:48 PM

If you've got problems with slight bending over for the occasional laundry load, and having to soak clothes overnight, then you probably shouldn't be alive.

Fixed lol.

Bwhahaha fucker. :rofl:

msommers
10-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Do you guys really find the pedestals helpful? I thought about buying a pair. Is there more vibration than straight on the floor, or less?

cidley69
12-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Bump this thread.

Looking for a set during boxing week sale. Anyone know the best deal going right now?

with all the "boxing day week" sales strating today or tomorrow, is there any reason to shop on actual boxing day?

Seth1968
12-19-2013, 05:10 PM
I heard Lowes will be having a Samsung pair for around $1200.

eblend
12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
I heard Lowes will be having a Samsung pair for around $1200.

There is one, I am looking for a set as well for parents. Can the full sized ones be stacked as well? They need a special kit to do that or how does it all work. Never had a need for one until my parents bought a new place, and stacking would save a ton of space in their small basement.

Env-Consultant
12-19-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by eblend

There is one, I am looking for a set as well for parents. Can the full sized ones be stacked as well? They need a special kit to do that or how does it all work. Never had a need for one until my parents bought a new place, and stacking would save a ton of space in their small basement.

I just had that pair delivered to my house two weeks ago. So far, they have worked awesome! Some great steam settings too - comes with all required hoses and a splitter. As far as I can see, they aren't stackable without some kind of add-on. No pedestals - I agree with the other poster - if you can't bend over to do your laundry you have issues; and unless you are really good at balancing shit, you're asking for some crazy vibration/walking with those pedestals.

Leons was $1299 delivered. Same price as Sears, Home Depot, and Futureshop without delivery.

Seth1968
12-19-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm not aware of any that aren't stackable, and in most cases, you'll have to buy the stacking kit separately.

Here's the pair at Lowes (page 6).

http://www.lowes.ca/flyer/

Env-Consultant
12-19-2013, 07:59 PM
This is what I bought on Black Friday from Leon's.

Still on sale at Futureshop - pretty solid reviews.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0001299.aspx?path=bedb6e4d09dd712e121e9fcb30b29776en02

eblend
12-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant

I just had that pair delivered to my house two weeks ago. So far, they have worked awesome! Some great steam settings too - comes with all required hoses and a splitter. As far as I can see, they aren't stackable without some kind of add-on. No pedestals - I agree with the other poster - if you can't bend over to do your laundry you have issues; and unless you are really good at balancing shit, you're asking for some crazy vibration/walking with those pedestals.

Leons was $1299 delivered. Same price as Sears, Home Depot, and Futureshop without delivery.

Think my parents going to pickup this set tomorrow. On the site it says they are stackable and I found a staking kit, which is just a metal plate to keep them two attached.

When they stack...what prevents one from scratching the paint off the other, some rubber feet or something?

cidley69
12-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Anyone eyeing other models, like the one step up for $1696? This one is $1000 off right now.

Mitsu3000gt
12-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Home Depot has that LG Pair for $1050

eblend
12-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Anyone know where to get an LG stacking kit KSTK1 that isn't $70 for 3 pieces of metal. They sell for like $35-$40 in the states :(

Mitsu3000gt
12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Anyone know where to get an LG stacking kit KSTK1 that isn't $70 for 3 pieces of metal. They sell for like $35-$40 in the states :(

They gave me mine for $30 when I bough the pair at Home Depot. They also delivered for free and took away my old washer for free.

Shibumi
12-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Can't comment on other brands mentioned here because I've no experience of them (except for the old school Hotpoint pair I had previously).

Eight years ago I purchased a Miele pair. Expensive but well worth it IMO, never a single problem (until recently, a slight intermittent leak from the washer, but after eight years trouble free, i think thats more than reasonable). They've suffered VERY heavy usage, too! Gotta love that German engineering :D

We purchased a Miele washer and dryer about 5 years ago and has been totally trouble free. It even came with a 10-year warranty.

A few weeks ago, we noticed a crack on the plastic covering the instrument panel which we thought was due to the flooring people damaging while moving it around. We called Miele and they sent a service guy out. He looked at the crack and said it was no problem to replace. Did that at no cost and even re-levelled the washer when we said it sounded funny when spinning. Would recommend it heartily.

Funny thing was that we bought it only because it was the only front load washer that opened to the right and the dryer to the left. That was the only logical way it would work based on our laundry room layout.

eblend
12-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

They gave me mine for $30 when I bough the pair at Home Depot. They also delivered for free and took away my old washer for free.

Son of a bitch haha, my dad and I loaded ours into the van and took them away....the lady there was useless, didn't even know what we were talking about. I want to find one but unwilling to pay $70 for it..yet, don't need washer and drier for a few weeks still.

elite
12-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Looking for a top loading washer (and perhaps dryer). Any recommendations? Something a bit on the larger capacity. Was taking a look at the maytag bravos xl at sears for 750 but the reviews are either complete shit or its the best washer I have had. Hopefully someone can chime in.

redx2nv
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by elite
Looking for a top loading washer (and perhaps dryer). Any recommendations? Something a bit on the larger capacity. Was taking a look at the maytag bravos xl at sears for 750 but the reviews are either complete shit or its the best washer I have had. Hopefully someone can chime in.

We have the LG top load(last years models) and are fantastic, conventional washer and steam dryer. Ended up getting them for $1200/pair at the brick.

We switched from 3 year old front load frigidaire(pure fucking JUNK) and will never do front loads ever again!

elite
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv

We have the LG top load(last years models) and are fantastic, conventional washer and steam dryer. Ended up getting them for $1200/pair at the brick.

We switched from 3 year old front load frigidaire(pure fucking JUNK) and will never do front loads ever again!

Yeah ended up getting a samsung top load pair from sears just waiting to pick it up.

JC522
01-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey guys, I read that some of you guys had this laundry pair. I was wondering if you guys could give me any feed back about this pair

http://www.lowes.ca/washer-and-dryer-combos/lg-appliances-wm2250cw-dle2250w-washer-dryer-combo-set_10271893.html&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

eblend
01-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JC522
Hey guys, I read that some of you guys had this laundry pair. I was wondering if you guys could give me any feed back about this pair

http://www.lowes.ca/washer-and-dryer-combos/lg-appliances-wm2250cw-dle2250w-washer-dryer-combo-set_10271893.html&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

My parents bought this exact set just before Christmas. My mom loves it. She said the dryer with SensorDry is pretty cool since it adjusts the length of time the drying goes until things are dry. She is always surprised when she pulls clothes out because they are always dry. This is their first fancy set.

They are really quiet and play a bunch of funky musical tones to signify what is going on. Lots of funky lights too haha.

Amysicle
01-25-2014, 10:26 PM

KRZY403
02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
bump. looking for washer and dryer combo. Anyone have any recommendations? Looks like the lg wm2250 combo is discontinued and difficult to find.

rvd
06-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Bump, what's the goto set now?

masoncgy
06-19-2014, 02:12 PM
What sort of capacity & features are you looking for? Color option or just basic white?

I still like Samsung for front load products and their newest line of washer/dryers are pretty nicely equipped over the last generation they replaced. So more stuff for the same kind of money.

OU812
08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Anyone bought toploaders lately?

95EG6P
08-28-2014, 06:21 PM
i have the LG front load ones and it is good no issues still going strong after 6 months forgot the model number of it tho